• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry knives

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I carry a Smith & Wesson "Extreme Ops" folder (like the one pictured below, but in the black/gray camo pattern).

The main thing I look for in a knife is the pocket clip. I carry in my front-right pocket, and like having a reverse clip so it is in a position to be opened as soon as i grab it from my pocket. With the standard clips, I have to turn the knife around in my hand before I can open it.

This knife not only has the clip in the right position, but also is a well-balanced and sturdy knife. The main thing I dislike about it is that the pocket clip is held in by tiny screws that I don't have a proper screwdriver for. So every time it comes loose (which is often after carrying it every day for several years), I have to go borrow tools from my dad.

ETA: Wanted to add that opening this thing is a breeze. In the picture below you can see the blade has a sort of nub that sticks out from the front of the blade (near the handle). When closed, this nub protrudes from the spine of the handle. I find that pushing this nub opens the blade far enough that a light flick will open it the rest of the way. Since the nub is part of/attached to the blade, it makes this method of opening legal (i.e. not a switch blade). In fact, I never use the thumb stud to open my knife...

3079_big.jpg

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I carry a Benchmade Griptilian.

551SBT.jpg

I don't know much about knives, but the locking mechanism seems reliable, I like the partial serrated blade, and I like the black blade. It fits pretty well in my hands and it opens pretty easily once you've had some practice.

I'll second CA_Libertarian's comment about the clip. I carry mine clipped to my pocket and it has become second nature to reach down and get it.

wewd

imported post

Spyderco Endura 4 in foliage green G10. I like it better than the standard Endura because it has full steel liners. It's built like a tank. I like the added weight too. 3.75" blade in VG-10 steel. It's a big knife.

ghostrider

imported post

wewd wrote:
Spyderco Endura 4 in foliage green G10. I like it better than the standard Endura because it has full steel liners. It's built like a tank. I like the added weight too. 3.75" blade in VG-10 steel. It's a big knife.

Ah,

The "standard Endura" your refering to is the Endura 2. Since the release of the Endura 4 (actually fourth generation) it is now commonly refered to as the Endura 3, but is actually the Endura 2 third generation.

It's all very convoluted and confussing. The orriginal Endura (Endura) was the orriginal stainless steel model. Then the Endura 2 was the FRN handles one that came with a integrated FRN pocket clip. The Endura2 third generation(probaly the one you refer to as the "standard Endura", is the FRN Endura with the metal pocket clip. They discontinued those when the Endura 4 came out.

OP,

Get the Endura Wave, and carry it tip up like all pocket knives are supposed to be carried. The only thing faster than the wave, is a fixed blade.

Other than that, picking knives is much like picking guns. Someone else can't do it for you. Go to a show and handle as many as you can to decide what you like. Don't be surprised if you start carrying one, only to find that there is something else out there that better suits their needs. Many a knife collector was created in this manner.

wewd

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Ah,

The "standard Endura" your refering to is the Endura  2. Since the release of the Endura 4 (actually fourth generation) it is now commonly refered to as the Endura 3, but is actually the Endura 2 third generation.

It's all very convoluted and confussing. The orriginal Endura (Endura) was the orriginal stainless steel model. Then the Endura 2 was the FRN handles one that came with a integrated FRN pocket clip. The Endura 2 third generation (probaly the one you refer to as the "standard Endura", is the FRN Endura with the metal pocket clip. They discontinued those when the Endura 4 came out.

You are correct. I just looked it up and apparently all Enduras now have steel liners, but they are hidden in the non-G10 models. I did not realize they no longer have all-FRN handles like they used to. Good to know.

As for the "wave" models, they are nice indeed, but if you don't have one of those you can do the "poor man's wave" by tying a zip tie through the thumb hole and clipping off the tail. The little nub left over will catch on your pocket lip and open the blade like a real wave will do. Not quite as reliable but it works in a pinch. I had one on my knife for a while but I didn't practice with it much and almost cut myself several times because I wasn't expecting the blade to open when pulling the knife out of my pocket.

If you carry a waved knife you absolutely must practice with it as much as possible or else you will forget about it and could seriously injure yourself if you're not expecting to have a fully or partially deployed blade when you grab for your knife.

dirtykoala

imported post

i recently purchased a benchmade griptilian after my friend picked one up and let me check it out. it has a great waranty, opens smooth and quick, its comfortable to hold. i would recommend that you think of a budget, get a few quality brands in your mind, then go check them out at a store and see what you are most comfortable with. in the past i have owned a CRKT m16 and m21, i lost them both, but i really liked them, i have a sog flash2, its nice, but kind of cheap feeling over time, and i have a 5.11 tactical, its ok i guess, nothing to brag about, ive heard they are really over priced, i got mine for free though as a gift. so far i am loving this benchmade more than any knife i have had in the past. ive heard great things about spyder but havnt owned one

yelohamr

imported post

Now that I have a rail adapter for my .40 Sigma I can carry this too. The next holster I make will have the blade cover as part of the holster.

dirtykoala

imported post

Be careful with that pistol bayonet. Mine locked onto my glock and damaged it while coming off.