Thread: Changes in LTC Issuing in Philadelphia after 1995

Post imported post

I read that after changes in LTC law in Pa in 1995 that the number of LTC holders in Philadelphia increased from about 5000 to 20,000 or 25,000in 3 years. What were the changes?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Shall Issue

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    Shall Issue
    Was the entire state of Pa "shall issue" til 1995 or only Philadelphia? I thought there was some concession made to them when LTC legislation was passed.

Post imported post

The concession to Philadelphia was that one had to possess an LTCF in order to carry, concealed or openly. As far as the rest of the state was concerned, not being a City of the First Class, one only needed an LTCF if one was carrying concealed.

An LTCF is required for other reasons, but that's the big one as far as Philadelphia is concerned.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    The concession to Philadelphia was that one had to possess an LTCF in order to carry, concealed or openly. As far as the rest of the state was concerned, not being a City of the First Class, one only needed an LTCF if one was carrying concealed.

An LTCF is required for other reasons, but that's the big one as far as Philadelphia is concerned.
    I've always wanted to ask this - Philly is a City of the First Class _(what)_?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Philadelphia is a "City of the First Class" due to PA law regarding the organization of townships and cities within the Commonwealth. This is designated by the state if and when a township or city would like to change its status or form of government (ie: township to city) or change its class (ie: City of the Fourth Class to Third Class). The designation may be changed after a certain amount of censuses are done by the US government and that township or city applies to the state to have the change according to the census data with regards to population.

http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook0...hey_Change.pdf

Pittsburgh is NOT a City of the First Class. It is a City of the Second Class.

Cities in PA have 4 classes.

Townships have 2 Classes.

Boroughs are not classified as classes.

I hope this forever answers that question.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

thejax wrote:
    Philadelphia is a "City of the First Class" due to PA law regarding the organization of townships and cities within the Commonwealth. This is designated by the state if and when a township or city would like to change its status or form of government (ie: township to city) or change its class (ie: City of the Fourth Class to Third Class). The designation may be changed after a certain amount of censuses are done by the US government and that township or city applies to the state to have the change according to the census data with regards to population.

Appreciate the straight answer to a smartazz question.

I learned something tonight.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

thejax wrote:

Keep in mind however that Philadelphia is NOT a "First Class City"

Post imported post

so what year did the entire state become shall-issue? and when was the UFA passed?
    Givin' up the tactical advantage since 2008.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Post imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
    so what year did the entire state become shall-issue? and when was the UFA passed?
    According to this site...PA became Shall Issue in 1988
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Post imported post

Okay, so I'm apparently confused. What else is new?

Something happened in 1995, but I hadn 't moved into the Commonwealth yet.

Post imported post

Here is what happened. PA went shall-issue in 1988. LTC's were and have always been valid statewide. The concession to get the law passed in 1988 was to leave first class cities may-issue.

In other words, if you lived anywhere outside of Philly, you could get a shall-issue permit and carry statewide, even in Philly; however, if you lived in Philly and applied there, it was may-issue.

In 1994, due to the republican revolution, the PA statehouse became much more pro RKBA so the votes were there to remove Philly's discrection in issuing permits. In 1995 Philly was shall-issue like the rest of the state.

I'm not sure if Philly has stopped whining about being shall-issue yet.

It has always been illegal since shall issue to carry openly in Philly without a LTC. I'm not sure if that was added in 1988 or if that was always there from when PA first adopted their may-issue law a long time ago.

Post imported post

I believe the OC w/LTCF was included in order to get the Philly votes for Shall Issue. They still make a person jump through extra hoops in order to get an LTCF, and they'll revoke it for almost any reason (Gun stolen from your car? LTCF cancelled!). Nobody's really taken them to court on their illegal activities, so they keep getting away with such crap.