• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changes in LTC Issuing in Philadelphia after 1995

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

The concession to Philadelphia was that one had to possess an LTCF in order to carry, concealed or openly. As far as the rest of the state was concerned, not being a City of the First Class, one only needed an LTCF if one was carrying concealed.

An LTCF is required for other reasons, but that's the big one as far as Philadelphia is concerned.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
The concession to Philadelphia was that one had to possess an LTCF in order to carry, concealed or openly. As far as the rest of the state was concerned, not being a City of the First Class, one only needed an LTCF if one was carrying concealed.

An LTCF is required for other reasons, but that's the big one as far as Philadelphia is concerned.
I've always wanted to ask this - Philly is a City of the First Class _(what)_? :lol:

Yata hey

thejax

imported post

Philadelphia is a "City of the First Class" due to PA law regarding the organization of townships and cities within the Commonwealth. This is designated by the state if and when a township or city would like to change its status or form of government (ie: township to city) or change its class (ie: City of the Fourth Class to Third Class). The designation may be changed after a certain amount of censuses are done by the US government and that township or city applies to the state to have the change according to the census data with regards to population.

http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook06/Basics05_Municipalities_How_They_Change.pdf

Pittsburgh is NOT a City of the First Class. It is a City of the Second Class.

Cities in PA have 4 classes.

Townships have 2 Classes.

Boroughs are not classified as classes.

I hope this forever answers that question.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

thejax wrote:
Philadelphia is a "City of the First Class" due to PA law regarding the organization of townships and cities within the Commonwealth. This is designated by the state if and when a township or city would like to change its status or form of government (ie: township to city) or change its class (ie: City of the Fourth Class to Third Class). The designation may be changed after a certain amount of censuses are done by the US government and that township or city applies to the state to have the change according to the census data with regards to population.

http://www.lgc.state.pa.us/deskbook06/Basics05_Municipalities_How_They_Change.pdf

Appreciate the straight answer to a smartazz question.

I learned something tonight. :)

Yata hey

/dev/null

imported post

thejax wrote:

Keep in mind however that Philadelphia is NOT a "First Class City" :lol:

jahwarrior

imported post

so what year did the entire state become shall-issue? and when was the UFA passed?

Jared

imported post

Here is what happened. PA went shall-issue in 1988. LTC's were and have always been valid statewide. The concession to get the law passed in 1988 was to leave first class cities may-issue.

In other words, if you lived anywhere outside of Philly, you could get a shall-issue permit and carry statewide, even in Philly; however, if you lived in Philly and applied there, it was may-issue.

In 1994, due to the republican revolution, the PA statehouse became much more pro RKBA so the votes were there to remove Philly's discrection in issuing permits. In 1995 Philly was shall-issue like the rest of the state.

I'm not sure if Philly has stopped whining about being shall-issue yet.

It has always been illegal since shall issue to carry openly in Philly without a LTC. I'm not sure if that was added in 1988 or if that was always there from when PA first adopted their may-issue law a long time ago.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I believe the OC w/LTCF was included in order to get the Philly votes for Shall Issue. They still make a person jump through extra hoops in order to get an LTCF, and they'll revoke it for almost any reason (Gun stolen from your car? LTCF cancelled!). Nobody's really taken them to court on their illegal activities, so they keep getting away with such crap.