Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new carry pistol... have some questions

Post imported post

I currently have a Charles Daly 1911... just got it back from having its safety mechanisms smithed to awesomeness, and now I'm finding it is not feeding reliably. This is the only problem with it, and as a side note I am selling it with three Wilson Combat magazines and a SERPA paddle for $400, and will explain what I suspect the problem is.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get it working but at this point I have spent too much time and effort and I am just annoyed. I want a new gun, and I want it to work now and indefinitely .

I have been considering a couple of options, namely a Springfield XD, or an FN P45... there are a few others floating around in my head as well.

If anyone owns one of these and could advise as to pros or cons, or has some other suggestion, my brain is in sponge mode.

I'm looking for something in a .45ACP, full size [4 or 5 inch barrel], reliability obviously a concern, preferably double stacked 12-15 round capacity, $650 or less.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Post imported post

Of all the pistols I have, the only one that is 100% reliable 100% of the time with 100% of the ammo fed into it has been and continues to be my H&K USP.

Not 99.999%

100%

Post imported post

I have fired those before and they are nice... but I was of the understanding that they were like 1200 bucks or something...

Post imported post

No way.

Here's some compacts:
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73322

I have a full size USP40. I like it because I can carry it cocked & locked like a 1911. I've had it for about 15 years and thousands of rounds.

I bought 2 on MGO earlier this year for $500 & $550 each.

Here's another:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=151428219

They're out there.

Post imported post

What's the issue with the CD 1911? What kind of feeding issues is it having? Have you tried different types of ammuniton? Different mags? I'm not a CD fan, but, I'd like to think it could be made to run.

There are numerous different tupperware pieces in that price range that would fit the bill. I'm a big fan of the Smith and Wesson M&P in .45acp. The adjustable grip sizes are fantastic. Should be able to get one new, with night sights, for around $575 if you shop around.

The H&K recommendation is a very good one also. Those are some seriously well made pistols.

Post imported post

Needs a feed ramp job and probably a new barrel... the inside of the chamber is basically serrated from casings beating the crap out of it.

I know it can be made to run, but I've owned it for four months, only one of which it has not been in the possession of a smith... and I'm just ready for something that works.

It will only feed FMJ, and those are about 75%. Most hollow points won't feed, period. They slam into the ramp and dent the bullet. Even tried wadcutters, those run about 50/50.

Like I said though, someone with a little more patience in the reserve could get the thing working. I will say it is an accurate, comfortable gun. When it does work, I like it... I just don't have another gun to carry while I screw with it.

Post imported post

One of the tests performed on the USP during development was to lodge a bullet in the barrel and then fire a round through the gun. This test was conducted thousands of times without a single failure. In every test the lodged bullet was pushed out of the barrel with nothing more than a slight bulge in the barrel and only minor degradation in subsequent accuracy. Not one single kaboom.

Post imported post

well... knowing they're a little more affordable that is another option i'm considering as well... although I want to go up to Guns Galore and handle some stuff before I make any conclusive decisions.

Post imported post

I am using a Springfield GI MilSpec 1911A1 and it is incredibly reliable. It feeds every HP & FM round I have fed it. And they can be had for around 500+. Also, if you go for one of these you won't have to change anything. Everything that goes with your CD will go with a Springer 1911A1.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

Be sure to check out the Springfield XD pistols. I had my XD40 again today and ran another one hundred or so rounds through it with zero failures of any kind. I have never had any failures with it, EVER. I would expect the XD in 45 to be just as reliable.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    I currently have a Charles Daly 1911... just got it back from having its safety mechanisms smithed to awesomeness, and now I'm finding it is not feeding reliably. This is the only problem with it, and as a side note I am selling it with three Wilson Combat magazines and a SERPA paddle for $400, and will explain what I suspect the problem is.
    Have you ever had magazine feeding problems with your Charles Daly where you have to slam the magazine kinda hard to get it to lock in? Just curious.

on the note of what to carry. XDs are nice but my glock is my favorite. %100 reliable

Devery

Post imported post

Get a GLOCK 21! .45 cal, 4.5" barrel, holds 13 rounds, less than 600 bucks new. Reliable, accurate, ugly as sin.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

If your looking to win an ugly contest then get a <cough cough> Hi Point. They are FUGLY as hell but they do shoot when you pull the trigger.

edited for my stupidity

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    If your looking to win an ugly contest then get a <cough cough> Hi Power. They are FUGLY as hell but they do shoot when you pull the trigger.
    Ya mean Hi Point perhaps?
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Here's some reading:
    http://www.streetpro.com/usp/torture.html

Do some comparison reading...
    Google "Glock failures"
    Google "SW XD failures"
    Google "Hi Point failures"
    Google "CZ failures"
    Google "[your favorite pistol] failures"
    Google "HK USP failures"

A very interesting pattern will appear.

Post imported post

If you go used you can find almost anything in your price range if you wait long enough.
    Do searches on GunBroker.com for the below and see what you think.

Here are a few of my suggestions for 45acp:

Para Ordinance 1911 (14+1 & 13+1)
    Springfield XD (13+1)
    H&K USP, HK45 (12+1, 10+1)
    Glock 21 (13+1)
    Sig Sauer P220, P250 (8+1, 10+1)
    S&W MP (10+1)

A good cheap CC gun is Taurus PT145 (10+1) and fits in your pocket.

I was disappointedthat the mag capacity went only to 10+1 forSig P250, S&W MP and H&K HK45. I am also waiting to see the XDm for 45acp to see how many rounds they carry.

I own some of the above and you will find people that love or hate different models.
    Until you hold it and shoot it you won't know which group you fall into. :-)

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Just get to a gun range that lets you try out different pistols.

I can guarantee you will find reports of just about any pistol failing. And just because it is or is not on the Internet does not mean it is true or false or even a good measure of the gun's quality. There are different factors and the Internet does not have them all.

It is the nature of the manufacturing process to produce lemons. It is an accepted margin of error. Springfield Armory, Glock, Heckler & Koche, Smith & Wesson, Ceska ZBrojovka, and yes, even Hi-Point makes quality stuff that works very well, the vast majority of the time.

We have all seen or heard of failures due to different things: failure to clean, misuse, squib loads, overcharged rounds and manufacturing error. The latter usually not as prevalent but it does exist.

Every gun will be 100% reliable with 100% of the ammo until it actually fails. Then what?

Post imported post

manicdevery wrote:
    Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    Have you ever had magazine feeding problems with your Charles Daly where you have to slam the magazine kinda hard to get it to lock in? Just curious.

on the note of what to carry. XDs are nice but my glock is my favorite. %100 reliable

Devery
    ...as a matter of fact, I have had that happen before.

and thanks for your input thus far guys, I'm reading it all.
    I'll have to think about it some more...

Post imported post

As I was sitting here reading this I was struck with a thought. In almost every case I have read where a civilian has been involved in a self defense encounter they have rarely if ever needed more then 2-4 shots. This is one of the reasons why I still fall back to the gun that has been doing it right for decades. My 1911. I also love the natural feel it has for my hand and how it comes right up and points real easy. It gives me 8 rounds of 45acp JHP. And with a quick change I can drop in 8 more in a second.

Again, as always stated here in the forums. Try em all and go with works for you. Oh, and practice practice practice practice

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    I have been considering a couple of options, namely a Springfield XD, or an FN P45... there are a few others floating around in my head as well.

If anyone owns one of these and could advise as to pros or cons, or has some other suggestion, my brain is in sponge mode.

I'm looking for something in a .45ACP, full size [4 or 5 inch barrel], reliability obviously a concern, preferably double stacked 12-15 round capacity, $650 or less.

Any input greatly appreciated!
    Hey Evil

I have one of these. Very nice, accurate, USG model allows condition 1 or condition 2 carry, 14 or 15 +1, $695 with the shooters pack (FN labeled Bladetech holster, mag carrier, training barrel, and 3 mags one of which is 15rnd rather than 14 rnd). Has eaten what I have tossed at it so far, FMJ from Remmy, Blaser Brass, Fiocchi, and Winchester. HP's were Hornady TAP FPD 230 +p and Win Ranger T 230.

About the only negitives that I have found so far are (1) the lack of aftermarket holster options. Pretty much its either find someone to custom make a kydex holster for you or get another Bladetech. I think Galco or another of the leather guys might have it as an option but its few and far between from what I have found. (2) THe thing is BIG and HEAVY. Almost to the point of overstressing the supplied holster in the kit. Its a little better with the belt loop attachment thats included on a wide and stiff belt but thats still a little iffy. The Bladetech is nothing like the thickness of a Serpa. Its also not the easiest to conceal. On me it takes my biggest Flannels or Fleeces to keep it moderately concealed. The fleece it still prints on pretty easily. But so far this is all with just the supplied OWB holster. (3) Isnt really a negative persey but more a warning. The grips are about like cheese graters. Great for grip but could be rough on some skin types. My dry rough skin didnt mind them after the first range trip.

Hope this all helps.

Radioman

Post imported post

I hear AK47's are en vogue

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    I hear AK47's are en vogue
    Like this?

Post imported post

Of those two, I have a Sprinfield XD compact in .45. But I've never shot it.

I guess I would need to know if you are ruling 1911's out. I have many 1911's and only one (a Colt Commander) ever had problems and work on the feed ramp and hollowing out a section of external part of the chamber fixed all the problems. If you want to stay with a 1911, of all of them I have - my Kimbers are the best.

But they don't have rails and I don't know if that is important to you. I have two .45 Glocks: a 36 and a 30. The 36 is very small and lightweight and has the capacity of 1911's. The 30 holds 10 rounds (I believe) and it accepts magazines of the larger Glock .45.

I almost bought a FN .45 as I have the FN Five Seven and I like it. But, I didn't think it offered anything really different from the XD and Glocks. I've looked at new ballistic test of the Five Seven and I'm actually considering making it my primary. Twenty rounds in the mag is very comforting but I would like a laser on it and I can't find a holster that will accept one on the rail.

Post imported post

Is it one of the Armscor made Charles Daly 1911s? If it is did you send it to the warranty smiths in Pahrump NV? I called them with some questions and they were very helpful and I've been told they do great work.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast