• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new carry pistol... have some questions

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I currently have a Charles Daly 1911... just got it back from having its safety mechanisms smithed to awesomeness, and now I'm finding it is not feeding reliably. This is the only problem with it, and as a side note I am selling it with three Wilson Combat magazines and a SERPA paddle for $400, and will explain what I suspect the problem is.

I don't think it would be too difficult to get it working but at this point I have spent too much time and effort and I am just annoyed. I want a new gun, and I want it to work now and indefinitely :cuss:.

I have been considering a couple of options, namely a Springfield XD, or an FN P45... there are a few others floating around in my head as well.

If anyone owns one of these and could advise as to pros or cons, or has some other suggestion, my brain is in sponge mode.

I'm looking for something in a .45ACP, full size [4 or 5 inch barrel], reliability obviously a concern, preferably double stacked 12-15 round capacity, $650 or less.

Any input greatly appreciated!

G

imported post

Of all the pistols I have, the only one that is 100% reliable 100% of the time with 100% of the ammo fed into it has been and continues to be my H&K USP.

Not 99.999%

100%

sevenplusone

imported post

What's the issue with the CD 1911? What kind of feeding issues is it having? Have you tried different types of ammuniton? Different mags? I'm not a CD fan, but, I'd like to think it could be made to run.

There are numerous different tupperware pieces in that price range that would fit the bill. I'm a big fan of the Smith and Wesson M&P in .45acp. The adjustable grip sizes are fantastic. Should be able to get one new, with night sights, for around $575 if you shop around.

The H&K recommendation is a very good one also. Those are some seriously well made pistols.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Needs a feed ramp job and probably a new barrel... the inside of the chamber is basically serrated from casings beating the crap out of it.

I know it can be made to run, but I've owned it for four months, only one of which it has not been in the possession of a smith... and I'm just ready for something that works.

It will only feed FMJ, and those are about 75%. Most hollow points won't feed, period. They slam into the ramp and dent the bullet. Even tried wadcutters, those run about 50/50.

Like I said though, someone with a little more patience in the reserve could get the thing working. I will say it is an accurate, comfortable gun. When it does work, I like it... I just don't have another gun to carry while I screw with it.

G

imported post

One of the tests performed on the USP during development was to lodge a bullet in the barrel and then fire a round through the gun. This test was conducted thousands of times without a single failure. In every test the lodged bullet was pushed out of the barrel with nothing more than a slight bulge in the barrel and only minor degradation in subsequent accuracy. Not one single kaboom.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

well... knowing they're a little more affordable that is another option i'm considering as well... although I want to go up to Guns Galore and handle some stuff before I make any conclusive decisions.

SlowDog

imported post

I am using a Springfield GI MilSpec 1911A1 and it is incredibly reliable. It feeds every HP & FM round I have fed it. And they can be had for around 500+. Also, if you go for one of these you won't have to change anything. Everything that goes with your CD will go with a Springer 1911A1.

jeeper1

imported post

Be sure to check out the Springfield XD pistols. I had my XD40 again today and ran another one hundred or so rounds through it with zero failures of any kind. I have never had any failures with it, EVER. I would expect the XD in 45 to be just as reliable.

manicdevery

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I currently have a Charles Daly 1911... just got it back from having its safety mechanisms smithed to awesomeness, and now I'm finding it is not feeding reliably. This is the only problem with it, and as a side note I am selling it with three Wilson Combat magazines and a SERPA paddle for $400, and will explain what I suspect the problem is.

Have you ever had magazine feeding problems with your Charles Daly where you have to slam the magazine kinda hard to get it to lock in? Just curious.

on the note of what to carry. XDs are nice but my glock is my favorite. %100 reliable

Devery

SlowDog

imported post

If your looking to win an ugly contest then get a <cough cough> Hi Point. They are FUGLY as hell but they do shoot when you pull the trigger.

edited for my stupidity:uhoh::uhoh:

G

imported post

Here's some reading:
http://www.streetpro.com/usp/torture.html

Do some comparison reading...
Google "Glock failures"
Google "SW XD failures"
Google "Hi Point failures"
Google "CZ failures"
Google "[your favorite pistol] failures"
Google "HK USP failures"

A very interesting pattern will appear.

45acpForMe

imported post

If you go used you can find almost anything in your price range if you wait long enough.
Do searches on GunBroker.com for the below and see what you think.

Here are a few of my suggestions for 45acp:

Para Ordinance 1911 (14+1 & 13+1)
Springfield XD (13+1)
H&K USP, HK45 (12+1, 10+1)
Glock 21 (13+1)
Sig Sauer P220, P250 (8+1, 10+1)
S&W MP (10+1)

A good cheap CC gun is Taurus PT145 (10+1) and fits in your pocket.

I was disappointedthat the mag capacity went only to 10+1 forSig P250, S&W MP and H&K HK45. I am also waiting to see the XDm for 45acp to see how many rounds they carry.

I own some of the above and you will find people that love or hate different models.
Until you hold it and shoot it you won't know which group you fall into. :)

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just get to a gun range that lets you try out different pistols.

I can guarantee you will find reports of just about any pistol failing. And just because it is or is not on the Internet does not mean it is true or false or even a good measure of the gun's quality. There are different factors and the Internet does not have them all.

It is the nature of the manufacturing process to produce lemons. It is an accepted margin of error. Springfield Armory, Glock, Heckler & Koche, Smith & Wesson, Ceska ZBrojovka, and yes, even Hi-Point makes quality stuff that works very well, the vast majority of the time.

We have all seen or heard of failures due to different things: failure to clean, misuse, squib loads, overcharged rounds and manufacturing error. The latter usually not as prevalent but it does exist.

Every gun will be 100% reliable with 100% of the ammo until it actually fails. Then what?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:

Have you ever had magazine feeding problems with your Charles Daly where you have to slam the magazine kinda hard to get it to lock in? Just curious.

on the note of what to carry. XDs are nice but my glock is my favorite. %100 reliable

Devery
...as a matter of fact, I have had that happen before.

and thanks for your input thus far guys, I'm reading it all.
I'll have to think about it some more...

SlowDog

imported post

As I was sitting here reading this I was struck with a thought. In almost every case I have read where a civilian has been involved in a self defense encounter they have rarely if ever needed more then 2-4 shots. This is one of the reasons why I still fall back to the gun that has been doing it right for decades. My 1911. I also love the natural feel it has for my hand and how it comes right up and points real easy. It gives me 8 rounds of 45acp JHP. And with a quick change I can drop in 8 more in a second.

Again, as always stated here in the forums. Try em all and go with works for you. Oh, and practice practice practice practice