• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new carry pistol... have some questions

Radioman

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I have been considering a couple of options, namely a Springfield XD, or an FN P45... there are a few others floating around in my head as well.

If anyone owns one of these and could advise as to pros or cons, or has some other suggestion, my brain is in sponge mode.

I'm looking for something in a .45ACP, full size [4 or 5 inch barrel], reliability obviously a concern, preferably double stacked 12-15 round capacity, $650 or less.

Any input greatly appreciated!
Hey Evil

I have one of these. Very nice, accurate, USG model allows condition 1 or condition 2 carry, 14 or 15 +1, $695 with the shooters pack (FN labeled Bladetech holster, mag carrier, training barrel, and 3 mags one of which is 15rnd rather than 14 rnd). Has eaten what I have tossed at it so far, FMJ from Remmy, Blaser Brass, Fiocchi, and Winchester. HP's were Hornady TAP FPD 230 +p and Win Ranger T 230.

About the only negitives that I have found so far are (1) the lack of aftermarket holster options. Pretty much its either find someone to custom make a kydex holster for you or get another Bladetech. I think Galco or another of the leather guys might have it as an option but its few and far between from what I have found. (2) THe thing is BIG and HEAVY. Almost to the point of overstressing the supplied holster in the kit. Its a little better with the belt loop attachment thats included on a wide and stiff belt but thats still a little iffy. The Bladetech is nothing like the thickness of a Serpa. Its also not the easiest to conceal. On me it takes my biggest Flannels or Fleeces to keep it moderately concealed. The fleece it still prints on pretty easily. But so far this is all with just the supplied OWB holster. (3) Isnt really a negative persey but more a warning. The grips are about like cheese graters. Great for grip but could be rough on some skin types. My dry rough skin didnt mind them after the first range trip.

Hope this all helps.

Radioman

G

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I hear AK47's are en vogue :)
Like this?

DSC01703-1.jpg

open4years

imported post

Of those two, I have a Sprinfield XD compact in .45. But I've never shot it.

I guess I would need to know if you are ruling 1911's out. I have many 1911's and only one (a Colt Commander) ever had problems and work on the feed ramp and hollowing out a section of external part of the chamber fixed all the problems. If you want to stay with a 1911, of all of them I have - my Kimbers are the best.

But they don't have rails and I don't know if that is important to you. I have two .45 Glocks: a 36 and a 30. The 36 is very small and lightweight and has the capacity of 1911's. The 30 holds 10 rounds (I believe) and it accepts magazines of the larger Glock .45.

I almost bought a FN .45 as I have the FN Five Seven and I like it. But, I didn't think it offered anything really different from the XD and Glocks. I've looked at new ballistic test of the Five Seven and I'm actually considering making it my primary. Twenty rounds in the mag is very comforting but I would like a laser on it and I can't find a holster that will accept one on the rail.

Bronson

imported post

Is it one of the Armscor made Charles Daly 1911s? If it is did you send it to the warranty smiths in Pahrump NV? I called them with some questions and they were very helpful and I've been told they do great work.

Bronson

G

imported post

bohdi wrote:
CV67 - How long does it take to get that thing into firing position like that? Nice cod piece by the way ;P
That's not me. However I admire his gumption.

Not being into warsaw pact weapons, I've chosen the SIG556 folder with sling for my "Michigan Pistol".

rmansu2

imported post

I say buy American!

Ruger P90 or P345, both 8+1.

I love my P95. Only problems I ever have is at the range when I shoot more than 300-400 rounds, and still few and far between.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Bronson:
I can't remember... the thing is like 10 years old if that helps to figure that out...

open4years:
No I wasn't ruling 1911s out, I still love the platform and want a nicer one eventually

bohdi:
CV67PAT posted a picture of me actually, so its pretty funny that you mentioned that... in fact I'm having Michigander help me make a new and improved holster for it using a Blackhawk SERPA drop-leg platform. I'll show you guys when I have that done.

Radioman:
I should have called you... we live in the same town, and I couldn't find a P45 to mess with and get a feel for... but as for information that was very helpful. While I like the weight of a 1911, I'm not sure I'm looking for something that heavy... although it would make a nice club if needed.
I'm always tentatively in the market for a backup though, so if sometime you want to come to the pit with Michigander and I, I might enjoy a chance at firing it.

Now the meat of the post.
I took everything into consideration, plus some independent research, and I ended up going with the XD45. I like it a lot so far. Thank you everyone who had some input! It was all considered!

wally1120

imported post

HAHA, Another 1911 Problem. DAMN them things SUCK, Not going to go any farther. I had the Eclipse Pro 2 and that thing was VERY Unrealiable. I will NEVER own another 1911 style Pistol for the Very suckness that they come along with.

wally1120

imported post

OH, Believe me I know it takes ALOT of Time, And a boat load of money to make them work right. If I am going to spend any money on a gun, Then it needs to function FLAWLESSLY out of the box, But I hear ALOT of bad comments about the 1911`s. My Dad used to have a Hi-Point that he bought Brand New, Had a few FTF`s, FTE`s. But it wasen`t anything that happened EVERY shot, Unlike the 1911 that I used to have. I used to have a Taurus PT111, That was VERY realiable as well, But now I wont own another Taurus Autoloader Hearing ALOT of BadNews about them now, But I do recommend you look at the Taurus Model 85, That is a VERY good little gun. The Groupings on that thing are GREAT, Fairly Cheaper gun, And it is Very light as well, I guess that is why they are Ultra-Lite`s. And if you Open Carry it around, You may have a Little Old Lady comment to you that " That Is a Cute Little Gun You Have There"