Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: The Unorganized Militia Once Again is Needed

  1. #1
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Post imported post

    The Unorganized Militia Once Again is Needed

    According to press reports, a passenger helped subdue the terrorist who was attempting to bring down Northwest #253. This again highlights the importance of the unorganized militia in asymetric warfare. In Saved by the Militia, I offered this analysis in the wake of the success of the general militia on United Airlines #93 in defending Washington from terrorist attack on 9/11:

    The characterization of these heroes as members of the militia is not just the opinion of one law professor. It is clearly stated in Federal statutes.
    For those who still resist this idea, let me suggest that general militia membership is a socially constructed state of mind and is one to be encouraged and honed rather than discouraged and ridiculed.

  2. #2
    Regular Member opusd2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Butt is in, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    453

    Post imported post

    Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

    I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    I aim to misbehave

  3. #3
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    opusd2 wrote:
    Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

    I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    opusd2 wrote:
    Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

    I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    Yeah, the media has been trying to paint any group that is willing to fight the government to protect our Constitutional Rights as terrorists.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    This just in: The passenger who jumped over several seats to keep the looney tunes Jihadi from exploding the device was - so say reports - a young Dutchman. Does this mean that even foriegn nationals are members of the "unorganized militia"?

    Well, I suppose we had Von Steuben, Kocziuzko, and Lafayette in the Revolution, so we can have some kid from Amersfoort in this war.

    Some detail on what happened: the BG was carrying PETN plastic explosive strapped to his groin, and the detonator he used did not supply sufficient shock to detonate it but instead it burned rather spectacularly. Still, it could have possibly gotten to the fuel tanks or ruptured the fuselage had not the kid leapt over and pput out the flames.

    The BG had concealed the PETN in his groin. So for Chrisstmas day he got a traditional treat....

    Toasted Nutz!!:celebrate

    (sorry, guys. I just had to...)

  6. #6
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Yup. Norman Lear was tres cheesed off that Archie Bunker became such a beloved American Icon. Lear tried to present Bunker as an ill-bred blue-collar prole in need of guidance, but he made the mistake of having Archie say the things he heard working-class, blue colar types say all the time. It really drove Lear up a tree - aand still does - to see "archie Bunker" t-shirts, etc.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Allot of people are sheepdogs, but don't know it, until something happens to cause them to spring into action to save self or others. Ibelieve it is something that is bred into some of us. A survival instinct. Sheep don't have this.

    I hear that Obama has intructed AG Holder to try the bomber with .....get this...

    Attempting to damage an aircraft

    WTH happened to attempted murder X the number passengers and crew on board?????:what:The militia needs to stop taking prisoners.

    We have a wolf in the white house that is protecting the rest of the wolves.

  8. #8
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    What in the hell? No attempted murder?
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Again with this "sheepdog" crap. Sheepdogs are someone else's property, they do what they're told, and they protect the sheep only until it's time to kill the sheep.

    And they eat their own feces.

    If I choose to help nearby people in distress, I'm not being a f***ing dog. I'm being a (hu)man.

    As for the militia, yes, anytime private citizens act to protect each other from tyrants, invaders, or criminals, they fit the loose definition of "militia".

    And this includes the Dutch fellow. On an airplane there are no nations, only a bunch of passengers united in the common goal of walking off the airplane in one piece. So they are all part of the militia, at least for the duration of the flight.

    Pompous "only one" air marshauls and other federal tax parasites notwithstanding.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    175

    Post imported post

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/29/...cia/index.html
    The father of terrorism suspect Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab talked about his son's extremist views with someone from the CIA and a report was prepared, but the report was not circulated outside the agency, a reliable source told CNN's Jeanne Meserve on Tuesday.

    Had that information been shared, the 23-year-old Nigerian who is alleged to have bungled an attempt to blow up a jetliner as it was landing in Detroit, Michigan, on Christmas Day might have been denied passage on the Northwest Airlines flight, the source said.

    U.S. officials said the father, a former Nigerian banker, expressed his concerns about his son's radicalization during at least one meeting and several calls with officials at the embassy in Nigeria.

    The information on AbdulMutallab had been sent to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, but it sat there for five weeks and was not disseminated, the source said.
    Let's see now.........the suspect's father, HIS FATHER MIND YOU!,thinks his son's activities are serious enough to report him to the authoritiesand still,because of the usual bureaucratic and political turf wars, the information isn't passed on to the people who would have kept him off the plane.

    As Tomahawk already pointed out, sheepdogs are also slaves to their politics, um....ahem.....masters.

  11. #11
    Regular Member desert-prospector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    (City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    OK, the Ft. Hood shooter wasn't a terrorist, and now this idiot on the plane isn't a terrorist.
    Well at least according to Obumbles.

    Did I get the jist correct?

    I am the Militia!!!!!!!!

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    SNIP Sheepdogs are someone else's property, they do what they're told, and they protect the sheep only until it's time to kill the sheep.
    Good point.

    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705

    Post imported post

    desert-prospector wrote:
    OK, the Ft. Hood shooter wasn't a terrorist, and now this idiot on the plane isn't a terrorist.
    Well at least according to Obumbles.

    Did I get the jist correct?

    I am the Militia!!!!!!!!
    I'm not sure about any other state, but in TX we have the State Guard. It's only used under authority of the governor. It's the legal definition of militia, because as far as I know, the states are supposed to finance and organize them. Say what you will, but good guys wait for green lights, and if you really want to be a good guy, you do things according to the rule of law.

    So joining some group of people and wearing camo while shooting doesn't make you "militia". It might even make you a criminal if someone commits a violent criminal act and you can be linked to them.

    If there is no official state guard in your state, and you have some reason not to join your state's Army National Guard, then just stay proficient with your tools. Don't associate with skin heads, 9/11 "truthers", or other radical idiots. In the mean time, concentrate on chaning the laws, watch the people we elect and stay politically active. That's how things got as bad as they are. We were fat and content, and trusted the leftist scumbags in the media and government.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    PrayingForWar wrote:
    If there is no official state guard in your state, and you have some reason not to join your state's Army National Guard, then just stay proficient with your tools. Don't associate with skin heads, 9/11 "truthers", or other radical idiots. In the mean time, concentrate on chaning the laws, watch the people we elect and stay politically active. That's how things got as bad as they are. We were fat and content, and trusted the statist scumbags in the media and government.
    Had to fix one word, but otherwise +1.

    As soon as you join some fringe group you blow all your credibility and loose some of your power to affect political changes. I think some people are disinclined to do boring stuff like write letters, emails, and make phone calls, or to actually travel to the statehouse to lobby in person, and they talk themselves into believing that "it's all too far gone for politics".

    But you'd be surprised at how powerful one determined person with a typewriter and a little spare time can be. Politicians pay attention to you if continuously engage them, but it takes a fair amount of effort.

    Not exciting, perhaps, but it beats being shot at by the FBI and labeled as just another wacko who had it coming on CNN some day.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Yup. Norman Lear was tres cheesed off that Archie Bunker became such a beloved American Icon. Lear tried to present Bunker as an ill-bred blue-collar prole in need of guidance, but he made the mistake of having Archie say the things he heard working-class, blue colar types say all the time. It really drove Lear up a tree - aand still does - to see "archie Bunker" t-shirts, etc.
    The same happened with family ties and Michael J. Fox's character.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Yup. Norman Lear was tres cheesed off that Archie Bunker became such a beloved American Icon. Lear tried to present Bunker as an ill-bred blue-collar prole in need of guidance, but he made the mistake of having Archie say the things he heard working-class, blue colar types say all the time. It really drove Lear up a tree - aand still does - to see "archie Bunker" t-shirts, etc.
    And the best is that Rob Riener to this day hates it when people on the street call him "Meathead", and that's exactly what he is, a leftist meathead of the highest order.

  17. #17
    Regular Member opusd2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Butt is in, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    453

    Post imported post

    simmonsjoe wrote:
    opusd2 wrote:
    Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

    I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.
    While I don't like to be corrected, I do appreciate being shown where I am incorrect when it comes to something like this. True ignorance only comes from thinking you know everything and not learning from others. Thanks again.
    I aim to misbehave

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    opusd2 wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:
    opusd2 wrote:
    snip...

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.
    While I don't like to be corrected, I do appreciate being shown where I am incorrect when it comes to something like this. True ignorance only comes from thinking you know everything and not learning from others. Thanks again.
    To offer some assuaging support, common usage and dictionary definitions are split on this issue.

    Militia (s); militias (pl) is found in numerous reliable sources i.e. "The three different militias are different." Note the plural verb are.

    Militia is also shown as a collective noun; therefore, would be singular in form but containing more than one within its context i.e "My team is winning." Note the singular verb is.

    English (American) is in a constant state of evolution in any event.

    Yata hey

    PS - Don't think Joe was trying to offend. We give and take a lot of shots here, but are still on good terms at the end of the day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    opusd2 wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:
    opusd2 wrote:
    snip...

    Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
    there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.
    While I don't like to be corrected, I do appreciate being shown where I am incorrect when it comes to something like this. True ignorance only comes from thinking you know everything and not learning from others. Thanks again.
    To offer some assuaging support, common usage and dictionary definitions are split on this issue.

    Militia (s); militias (pl) is found in numerous reliable sources i.e. "The three different militias are different." Note the plural verb are.

    Militia is also shown as a collective noun; therefore, would be singular in form but containing more than one within its context i.e "My team is winning." Note the singular verb is.

    English (American) is in a constant state of evolution in any event.

    Yata hey

    PS - Don't think Joe was trying to offend. We give and take a lot of shots here, but are still on good terms at the end of the day.
    Sometimes, some of you make me feel so un-ejumacated.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Sometimes, some of you make me feel so un-ejumacated.
    Think well of yourself - there will only ever be one of you.

    You are well respected here.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    You want to know the definition of "unorganized Militia"? Look at this forum. We are all members of the "unorganized Militia"; and in fact trying to organize the lot of us would probably be akin to herding cats. :P

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    You want to know the definition of "unorganized Militia"? Look at this forum. We are all members of the "unorganized Militia"; and in fact trying to organize the lot of us would probably be akin to herding cats. :P
    So that is with what Mike and John are contending. Does a cat herder use a shepherd's crook or just a mailed fist?

    We have found the militia and it is us.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    You want to know the definition of "unorganized Militia"? Look at this forum. We are all members of the "unorganized Militia"; and in fact trying to organize the lot of us would probably be akin to herding cats. :P
    So that is with what Mike and John are contending. Does a cat herder use a shepherd's crook or just a mailed fist?

    We have found the militia and it is us.

    Yata hey
    Neither. You use a can opener.

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    You want to know the definition of "unorganized Militia"? Look at this forum. We are all members of the "unorganized Militia"; and in fact trying to organize the lot of us would probably be akin to herding cats. :P
    So that is with what Mike and John are contending. Does a cat herder use a shepherd's crook or just a mailed fist?

    We have found the militia and it is us.

    Yata hey
    Neither. You use a can opener.
    Leading by example or with tempting with candy is fine, but a rope does not push well - does make a good noose though.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    A little OT here, but you remember that commercial where they were herding cats (some kind of insurance I think)? At the end, it showed all the cowboys with bandages ... well, I saw an interview with one of the wranglers and he said that by the end of the shoot, those bandages were real! The cats just wouldn't take onset direction well and it took a while to get some of the horses acclimated to the cats!
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •