• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Unorganized Militia Once Again is Needed

Repeater

imported post

The Unorganized Militia Once Again is Needed

According to press reports, a passenger helped subdue the terrorist who was attempting to bring down Northwest #253. This again highlights the importance of the unorganized militia in asymetric warfare. In Saved by the Militia, I offered this analysis in the wake of the success of the general militia on United Airlines #93 in defending Washington from terrorist attack on 9/11:

The characterization of these heroes as members of the militia is not just the opinion of one law professor. It is clearly stated in Federal statutes.
For those who still resist this idea, let me suggest that general militia membership is a socially constructed state of mind and is one to be encouraged and honed rather than discouraged and ridiculed.

opusd2

imported post

Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.

simmonsjoe

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
Gee, that opinion kinda flies in the face of the kind of attitudes and stories that the news outlets put out. In fact, it's a bit different than what I was taught in school growing up. School had me thinking there was two kinds of militia; the good kind that helped our country escape British rule, and the bad kind that existed these days like the Posse Comitatus which lives without disregard to common law and decency.

I guess I had a pretty good education because I now know the difference and similarities between the militias of past and what exists today. For the most part they exist to protect what they believe in, for the most part to take care of those who would want to relieve us of our rights.

Of course not all militias are as such, some (like a lot of government officials) use the constitution to further their own agendas.
there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

opusd2 wrote:

Yeah, the media has been trying to paint any group that is willing to fight the government to protect our Constitutional Rights as terrorists.

Alexcabbie

imported post

This just in: The passenger who jumped over several seats to keep the looney tunes Jihadi from exploding the device was - so say reports - a young Dutchman. Does this mean that even foriegn nationals are members of the "unorganized militia"?

Well, I suppose we had Von Steuben, Kocziuzko, and Lafayette in the Revolution, so we can have some kid from Amersfoort in this war.

Some detail on what happened: the BG was carrying PETN plastic explosive strapped to his groin, and the detonator he used did not supply sufficient shock to detonate it but instead it burned rather spectacularly. Still, it could have possibly gotten to the fuel tanks or ruptured the fuselage had not the kid leapt over and pput out the flames.

The BG had concealed the PETN in his groin. So for Chrisstmas day he got a traditional treat....

Toasted Nutz!!:celebrate

(sorry, guys. I just had to...)

Alexcabbie

imported post

Yup. Norman Lear was tres cheesed off that Archie Bunker became such a beloved American Icon. Lear tried to present Bunker as an ill-bred blue-collar prole in need of guidance, but he made the mistake of having Archie say the things he heard working-class, blue colar types say all the time. It really drove Lear up a tree - aand still does - to see "archie Bunker" t-shirts, etc.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Allot of people are sheepdogs, but don't know it, until something happens to cause them to spring into action to save self or others. Ibelieve it is something that is bred into some of us. A survival instinct. Sheep don't have this.

I hear that Obama has intructed AG Holder to try the bomber with .....get this...

Attempting to damage an aircraft

WTH happened to attempted murder X the number passengers and crew on board?????:what:The militia needs to stop taking prisoners.

We have a wolf in the white house that is protecting the rest of the wolves.

Tomahawk

imported post

Again with this "sheepdog" crap. Sheepdogs are someone else's property, they do what they're told, and they protect the sheep only until it's time to kill the sheep.

And they eat their own feces.

If I choose to help nearby people in distress, I'm not being a f***ing dog. I'm being a (hu)man.

As for the militia, yes, anytime private citizens act to protect each other from tyrants, invaders, or criminals, they fit the loose definition of "militia".

And this includes the Dutch fellow. On an airplane there are no nations, only a bunch of passengers united in the common goal of walking off the airplane in one piece. So they are all part of the militia, at least for the duration of the flight.

Pompous "only one" air marshauls and other federal tax parasites notwithstanding.

Toymaker

imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/29/airline.terror.cia/index.html
The father of terrorism suspect Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab talked about his son's extremist views with someone from the CIA and a report was prepared, but the report was not circulated outside the agency, a reliable source told CNN's Jeanne Meserve on Tuesday.

Had that information been shared, the 23-year-old Nigerian who is alleged to have bungled an attempt to blow up a jetliner as it was landing in Detroit, Michigan, on Christmas Day might have been denied passage on the Northwest Airlines flight, the source said.

U.S. officials said the father, a former Nigerian banker, expressed his concerns about his son's radicalization during at least one meeting and several calls with officials at the embassy in Nigeria.

The information on AbdulMutallab had been sent to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, but it sat there for five weeks and was not disseminated, the source said.

Let's see now.........the suspect's father, HIS FATHER MIND YOU!,thinks his son's activities are serious enough to report him to the authoritiesand still,because of the usual bureaucratic and political turf wars, the information isn't passed on to the people who would have kept him off the plane.

As Tomahawk already pointed out, sheepdogs are also slaves to their politics, um....ahem.....masters.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

desert-prospector wrote:
OK, the Ft. Hood shooter wasn't a terrorist, and now this idiot on the plane isn't a terrorist.
Well at least according to Obumbles.

Did I get the jist correct?

I am the Militia!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure about any other state, but in TX we have the State Guard. It's only used under authority of the governor. It's the legal definition of militia, because as far as I know, the states are supposed to finance and organize them. Say what you will, but good guys wait for green lights, and if you really want to be a good guy, you do things according to the rule of law.

So joining some group of people and wearing camo while shooting doesn't make you "militia". It might even make you a criminal if someone commits a violent criminal act and you can be linked to them.

If there is no official state guard in your state, and you have some reason not to join your state's Army National Guard, then just stay proficient with your tools. Don't associate with skin heads, 9/11 "truthers", or other radical idiots. In the mean time, concentrate on chaning the laws, watch the people we elect and stay politically active. That's how things got as bad as they are. We were fat and content, and trusted the leftist scumbags in the media and government.

Tomahawk

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
If there is no official state guard in your state, and you have some reason not to join your state's Army National Guard, then just stay proficient with your tools. Don't associate with skin heads, 9/11 "truthers", or other radical idiots. In the mean time, concentrate on chaning the laws, watch the people we elect and stay politically active. That's how things got as bad as they are. We were fat and content, and trusted the statist scumbags in the media and government.

Had to fix one word, but otherwise +1.

As soon as you join some fringe group you blow all your credibility and loose some of your power to affect political changes. I think some people are disinclined to do boring stuff like write letters, emails, and make phone calls, or to actually travel to the statehouse to lobby in person, and they talk themselves into believing that "it's all too far gone for politics".

But you'd be surprised at how powerful one determined person with a typewriter and a little spare time can be. Politicians pay attention to you if continuously engage them, but it takes a fair amount of effort.

Not exciting, perhaps, but it beats being shot at by the FBI and labeled as just another wacko who had it coming on CNN some day.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Yup. Norman Lear was tres cheesed off that Archie Bunker became such a beloved American Icon. Lear tried to present Bunker as an ill-bred blue-collar prole in need of guidance, but he made the mistake of having Archie say the things he heard working-class, blue colar types say all the time. It really drove Lear up a tree - aand still does - to see "archie Bunker" t-shirts, etc.
The same happened with family ties and Michael J. Fox's character.

Tomahawk

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
And the best is that Rob Riener to this day hates it when people on the street call him "Meathead", and that's exactly what he is, a leftist meathead of the highest order.

opusd2

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
opusd2 wrote:

there is no 'militias' It isn't a plural. The groups you are referring to have been labeled that as an attack on the militia. They aren't militias.

While I don't like to be corrected, I do appreciate being shown where I am incorrect when it comes to something like this. True ignorance only comes from thinking you know everything and not learning from others. Thanks again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

opusd2 wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
snip...

While I don't like to be corrected, I do appreciate being shown where I am incorrect when it comes to something like this. True ignorance only comes from thinking you know everything and not learning from others. Thanks again.
To offer some assuaging support, common usage and dictionary definitions are split on this issue.

Militia (s); militias (pl) is found in numerous reliable sources i.e. "The three different militias are different." Note the plural verb are.

Militia is also shown as a collective noun; therefore, would be singular in form but containing more than one within its context i.e "My team is winning." Note the singular verb is.

English (American) is in a constant state of evolution in any event.

Yata hey

PS - Don't think Joe was trying to offend. We give and take a lot of shots here, but are still on good terms at the end of the day.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
snip...

To offer some assuaging support, common usage and dictionary definitions are split on this issue.

Militia (s); militias (pl) is found in numerous reliable sources i.e. "The three different militias are different." Note the plural verb are.

Militia is also shown as a collective noun; therefore, would be singular in form but containing more than one within its context i.e "My team is winning." Note the singular verb is.

English (American) is in a constant state of evolution in any event.

Yata hey

PS - Don't think Joe was trying to offend. We give and take a lot of shots here, but are still on good terms at the end of the day.
Sometimes, some of you make me feel so un-ejumacated. :banghead: