• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah permit arrived today! Happy Christmas

Mjollnir

imported post

It took only 44 days from when my check cleared the bank for me to receive my permit from Utah. On the permit it says: Concealed Firearms Permit

May I still carry openly in MN? I wouldhope so, but I just want to be sure.

IA_farmboy

imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
It took only 44 days from when my check cleared the bank for me to receive my permit from Utah. On the permit it says: Concealed Firearms Permit

May I still carry openly in MN? I would hope so, but I just want to be sure.

Are you permitted, as a Minnesota resident, to carry a weapon in Minnesota with an out of state permit? Something about that does not sound right.

mrjam2jab

imported post

The way I read it....it doesn't specifically say it has to be a MN license...

624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES. Subdivision 1.[Repealed, 2003 c 28 art 2 s 35; 2005 c 83 s 1] Subd. 1a. Permit required; penalty. A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

MN Statute

IA_farmboy

imported post

Ok, so it would seem that an out of state permit is valid for a Minnesota resident in Minnesota. Let's get back to the original question, does that concealed firearm permit allow for open carry? I'm interested in this as well since I do visit Minnesota on occasion.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
Ok, so it would seem that an out of state permit is valid for a Minnesota resident in Minnesota. Let's get back to the original question, does that concealed firearm permit allow for open carry? I'm interested in this as well since I do visit Minnesota on occasion.
Minnesota law recognizes no distinction between open and concealed carry. If you have a permit from a recognized state, you may carry a pistol in Minnesota, either openly or concealed. See FAQs 22 and 32here.

Mjollnir

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Minnesota law recognizes no distinction between open and concealed carry. If you have a permit from a recognized state, you may carry a pistol in Minnesota, either openly or concealed. See FAQs 22 and 32here.

Thank you for that link. Now I feel better having seen it.I'm embarrassed I didn't find it myself.

North Star Packer

imported post

Good to hear the permits are coming. They have had mine money for 36 days, I'm checking the mail box every day, I heard some have received their's in 32 days. I don't know why, but it seems like this is the worst thing I have been waiting for. I also applied for the Mn permit for a backup in case the state changes the rules for accepting the Utah.

I should be getting this one this week or the next. Life will be great when I receive both.

Maximus_Para_Bellum

imported post

I'm new to the realm of legally carrying a concealed weapon with Big Brother's approval. What if any advantages are there to getting a permit from Utah versus Minnesota, where I am a resident?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The UT permit is accepted in something like 35 states, whereas the MN permit is accepted in 21 states. As a MN resident, the MN permit will allow you to carry in Michigan, the non-resident UT will not.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Maximus_Para_Bellum wrote:
What if any advantages are there to getting a permit from Utah versus Minnesota, where I am a resident?
A MN permit gives you coverage in Kansas (which does not recognize Utah permits) and Michigan (which only recognizes resident permits). It also exempts you from the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act within Minnesota and exempts you from Minnesota's transferee permit or 5-day waiting period requirement. Finally, having a permit in the state in which you are a resident adds to the numbers of Minnesota permitholders, which increases your political clout.