• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in TN with FL permit?

SKSseven

imported post

My family brought a 20 acre parcel of land inTellico Plains about a year and a half ago. So far I have been there a couple of times. The last 2 trips I brought my glock 19 and carried concealed as Tenn has reciprocity with FL. Reading further into the Tenn statues I see TN does not issue a CCW but a carry permit period allowing open carry. Would it be legal for me to open carry in TN with my FL permit. Are there holster requirements such as a snapped holster, etc? Also does anyone have any experience with open carry in the Tellico Plains / Madsionville area (east TN) Any info or pointers would be great.

Fallguy

imported post

Yes, you can OC with a permit from another state in TN.

No, there are no holster requirments.

I'm in West TN so can't really say anything about the awarness of LE in East TN.

suntzu

imported post

SKSseven wrote:

My family brought a 20 acre parcel of land inTellico Plains about a year and a half ago. So far I have been there a couple of times. The last 2 trips I brought my glock 19 and carried concealed as Tenn has reciprocity with FL. Reading further into the Tenn statues I see TN does not issue a CCW but a carry permit period allowing open carry. Would it be legal for me to open carry in TN with my FL permit. Are there holster requirements such as a snapped holster, etc? Also does anyone have any experience with open carry in the Tellico Plains / Madsionville area (east TN) Any info or pointers would be great.
Be sure to make yourself aware of where you can and cannot carry--no carry in court houses, or in schools/post secondary institutions and not permitted to carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol for onsite consumption or actual bars--and you cannot carry into any posted location per TCA 39-17-1359.

BE SURE to carry an audio recorder with you at all times you are carrying and keep it running. If you are approached, LE can disarm you at their leisure without reason--all they have to mumble is officer safety and they can disarm you. You are required to produce your permit whenever they demand it. As for audio recording--TN is a single party consent state as I understand it, which means you are under no obligation to inform the officers the contact is being recorded for your safety.

If a LE contact goes south through no fault of your own, or if your civil rights are violated--the audio recording can and will be invaluable for you in protecting your rights.

As always--I am not a lawyer, and everything I have written is strictly my opinion--therefore you are advised to take the time to research the appropriate Tennessee laws in regards to carrying a firearm.