• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Mossberg 590 Security Shotgun

camsoup

imported post

not really OC related......

But yes, both legal on a pump shotgun, although personally I would not put a rear pistol grip on a Mossberg, once installed you have to remove your hand from the pistol grip to engage/disengage the safety......

inbox485

imported post

There aren't any evil features you can't add to a pump shotgun (other than things like grenade launchers which are illegal in of them selves). It's the semi auto shotguns that have some feature restrictions.

I will second what camsoup said about the pistol grip making it hard to reach the safety. Mossbergs just were not meant to have pistol grips. I'd spend the money on a side saddle and or comp stock instead.

wewd

imported post

I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock and forend on my 500 breacher. I also have a small size Limbsaver slip-on pad over the Hogue recoil pad, giving a 13" LOP. Much better than the standard 14.5" stock. With this setup I can shoot all day long and my shoulder isn't black and blue the next day. I'm going to put an Eagle Industries shotgun stock pack on to give me loops and a pocket for shells. I don't really care for receiver mounted sidesaddles.

pullnshoot25

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
There aren't any evil features you can't add to a pump shotgun (other than things like grenade launchers which are illegal in of them selves). It's the semi auto shotguns that have some feature restrictions.

I will second what camsoup said about the pistol grip making it hard to reach the safety. Mossbergs just were not meant to have pistol grips. I'd spend the money on a side saddle and or comp stock instead.

Semi-auto shotguns don't have restrictions. The language used is semi-automatic centerfire RIFLES.

mjones

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
inbox485 wrote:

Semi-auto shotguns don't have restrictions. The language used is semi-automatic centerfire RIFLES.

Bad Nate - Penalty Flag! You must carry only semi-auto pistols for the next week!

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

pullnshoot25

imported post

mjones wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
inbox485 wrote:

Bad Nate - Penalty Flag! You must carry only semi-auto pistols for the next week!

12276.1.  (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
   (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
   (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
   (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
   (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Snap. I stand corrected.

AARGH!

I have several semi-pistols, BTW :)

lorax3

imported post

The only Assault Weapon restriction that can apply to non-semiautomatic shotguns is that of a revolving cylinder.

Other than that you only need to worry about NFA stuff. 26" overall length and 18" barrel.

If you really wanted to have some fun get a Mossberg Cruiser and file a Form 1 with the ATF for an AOW and have a serbu-esque weapon.

Sabotage70

imported post

camsoup wrote:

But yes, both legal on a pump shotgun, although personally I would not put a rear pistol grip on a Mossberg, once installed you have to remove your hand from the pistol grip to engage/disengage the safety......
Safety? We don't need no stinkin safeties. Just don't keep it chambered, that way when BG comes in rack it and he knows he just f'ed up and gets to scampering. ;)

inbox485

imported post

lorax3 wrote:
The only Assault Weapon restriction that can apply to non-semiautomatic shotguns is that of a revolving cylinder.

Other than that you only need to worry about NFA stuff. 26" overall length and 18" barrel.

If you really wanted to have some fun get a Mossberg Cruiser and file a Form 1 with the ATF for an AOW and have a serbu-esque weapon.
And another penalty flag:

CA PC 12020:

(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
Code:
   (1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any... short-barreled shotgun....

(c) (1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means
any of the following:
(A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed
shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches
in length.
(B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches
and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
than 18 inches in length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed
shotgun shell which, when so restored, is a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed and intended to
convert a device into a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C),
inclusive, or any combination of parts from which a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, can be readily assembled if
those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same
person.

Good luck with the AOW...

inbox485

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
camsoup wrote:

Safety? We don't need no stinkin safeties. Just don't keep it chambered, that way when BG comes in rack it and he knows he just f'ed up and gets to scampering. ;)
That or shoot first. I have mixed feelings on trying to scare somebody off with a sound. I prefer the idea of violent intruders being incapacitated on contact, not warned and given the opportunity to shoot through the walls. As a responsible citizen you generally can't shoot through walls. Bad guys aren't held to such niceties.

inbox485

imported post

wewd wrote:
AOWs are legal to own in CA as long as they are properly taxed and registered with the feds. There are a number of people on Calguns who have home-built AOWs and at least one Serbu. AOW status overrides CA's SBS restriction.

For further info:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

Sweet. I'd never seen that. Thanks. The feds just might be getting a $5 bonus from me one of these days.

wewd

imported post

Yeah, I would love to own a Serbu Super Shorty (and open carry it at our monthly meets) but getting your local Chief of Police to sign off on a Form 4 and finding a Class 3 dealer who would transfer to a civilian is next to impossible in this state. You could go the corp/trust route but you would still need to find the dealer. Either that or pay the $200 on a Form 1 and make your own super shorty.

inbox485

imported post

wewd wrote:
Yeah, I would love to own a Serbu Super Shorty (and open carry it at our monthly meets) but getting your local Chief of Police to sign off on a Form 4 and finding a Class 3 dealer who would transfer to a civilian is next to impossible in this state. You could go the corp/trust route but you would still need to find the dealer. Either that or pay the $200 on a Form 1 and make your own super shorty.
I'll look into it, but I thought you could build your own on the $5 form as well. From the little I read, the only difference between the two is that the AOW couldn't be classified as a rifle.

wewd

imported post

It costs $200 for a regular bloke (non FFL-SOT holder) to manufacture any Title II firearm, which includes AOWs, short-barreled rifles & shotguns, destructive devices, and suppressors. Used to include machineguns prior to the '86 ban. This is done with a Form 1. Transfers of existing Title II firearms are done on a Form 4 and are $200 as well except for AOWs which transfer for $5.

lorax3

imported post

Right, I mentioned this in my above post. SBS stuff is dealt with at a federal level and echoed in the PC. The PC you mention is not an AW restriction. AOW's can be had if the proper steps are taken.