Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100

Thread: OC and Police issues

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Hello I'm new here been reading some of the posts here and have a few questions. I recently got a concealed weapons permit for Louisiana after i got out the navy and moved here. So as long as i don't bring it into the list of places by law i should be fine concealed or open carried. Second im generating a notecard in my wallet that has the law statue number that states it is legal to open carry in my wallet. That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member barf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nawlins, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the site!

    Be careful to mention concealed carry here as some of the more closed minded members will wet their adult diapers.

    As far as your inquiry about the applicable laws and statutes regarding open carry, I recommend this site: http://www.laopencarry.org/documents...iana-t110.html

    Again, welcome!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    also i researched the infamous LSA R.S 14:94.1.1 i found this nasty law that was made in 2003 sounds like a nasty loophole

    http://www.legis.state.la.us/leg_doc...T/0000DTLL.PDF

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    mikediamo wrote:
    Hello I'm new here been reading some of the posts here and have a few questions. I recently got a concealed weapons permit for Louisiana after i got out the navy and moved here...
    Welcome to OCDO, MD. Lots of good information here. Plenty of OCers and CCers and 2A advocates here who like to help.

    You sound like a reasonable chap. Enjoy the forum.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    thank you im just trying to educate myself in the laws so i can follow them and protect myself with them

  6. #6
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    mikediamo wrote:
    ...im just trying to educate myself in the laws so i can follow them and protect myself with them
    That's a fine objective. Smart, too.

    It's easy to get the hardware. The software's a more difficult thing...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Keithville, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    There is nostatute that states it is legal to open carry, only the Constitution and case law.

    R.S. 14.94.1.1 did not pass, you found a copy of a dead proposed bill.

  8. #8
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    Louisiana Carry wrote:
    There is nostatute that states it is legal to open carry, only the Constitution and case law.

    R.S. 14.94.1.1 did not pass, you found a copy of a dead proposed bill.
    Some states have language in their CC permit laws that give the carryer the choice of open or concealed carry. Louisiana doesn't. The permit is for concealed carry only.

    There are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so, and as Louisiana Carry pointed out, case law backs that up.

    Welcome to OCDO bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    116

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO. LC's site is the numero uno place to start if CC or OC in LA. Good luck.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
    WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.
    Yeah, what MEM said x2

  11. #11
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
    WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.
    Yep, it guarantees and protects it so much I'm still waitin on you to go a walkin across that school yard.

    Hey, if ya need company, take #1 chicken shi... uh, farmer with ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Keithville, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    turbodog wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
    WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.
    Yep, it guarantees and protects it so much I'm still waitin on you to go a walkin across that school yard.
    Yeah, what turbodog said x2

  13. #13
    Regular Member barf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nawlins, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    Louisiana Carry wrote:
    turbodog wrote:
    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    "...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
    WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.
    Yep, it guarantees and protects it so much I'm still waitin on you to go a walkin across that school yard.
    Yeah, what turbodog said x2
    Do I get to make a snide comment about trash in the schoolyard now and triple post it?



  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    barf wrote:
    Do I get to make a snide comment about trash in the schoolyard now and triple post it?
    You forgot the requisite double and triple post. The dancing 'nanners are a good start though.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    mikediamo wrote:
    That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.
    You'll find that the majority of the cops fall into the "ill knowledged"
    category--and really it isn't that they are "ill knowledged" it is more along the lines of "you'll do as we say or else" category...

    So it is advised to keep an audio recorder on you and running at all times when you OC/CC--because the rights you protect will be your own--because the police certainly won't do it as they see your rights as something to be trampled on.

    Welcome to OCDO.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Keithville, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    #1 chicken farmer wrote:
    Wow. You really are a troll.

    Let's see if we can get someone in here about this.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orleans, ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    suntzu wrote:
    mikediamo wrote:
    That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.
    You'll find that the majority of the cops fall into the "ill knowledged"
    category--and really it isn't that they are "ill knowledged" it is more along the lines of "you'll do as we say or else" category...

    So it is advised to keep an audio recorder on you and running at all times when you OC/CC--because the rights you protect will be your own--because the police certainly won't do it as they see your rights as something to be trampled on.

    Welcome to OCDO.
    I see you are from TN. Is it like that there, or do you have personal knowledge of LA cops?

    Are they really that bad here?

  18. #18
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Gunguy wrote:
    Are they really that bad here?
    Gunguy,

    For the most part, no they aren't that bad here.

    Many know the law and don't bother OCers. There are a few though that either don't know the law and refuse to listen to anyone when corrected or, worse, have been told the law, learned it and simply refuse to follow it because it upsets their view of how the world should be.

    We see it not only in Louisiana but other states as well. There's a OCDO member from Michigan who has been detained several times while OCing. He has posted about it here in the boards and even posted the dashcam from the officers on Youtube. It's often the same officers involved or from the same department. They have been told about the law yet, as a department, seem to be unable to grasp the fact that they are not supposed to being doing these stops. The officers also state misinformation such as by having a CHP the owner MUST Conceal since he gave up the right to open carry when he got the CHP. Not true.

    Neither is it true when the Jefferson Parish SO and Deputy Steven Seagal confiscated a gun from a 20yo man because they insisted the law says only 21yos and above can have guns. Also untrue. Were they aware of the law and knowingly lied or were they unaware? It's hard to tell.

    Goals of groups such as PAFOA, Georgapacking and our own LOCAL seek to educate LEOs and the general public about the law and their rights to avoid these problems. When they occure in the future the departments involved can't say they were not aware of the facts.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    You're right, you're not going to change the judges and the politicians. You have some chance of changing the views of the LEO's as long as you can give them a reason to give you the time of day.

    However it is my belief, and the belief of others, that you CAN change the court of public opinion by presenting your case to them and educating them on their rights. If we can portray to them a group of logical people who know their rights and want to exercise them in a respectful and SAFE manner then we will bring more of them to our side. It is this same process that has allowed them to erode our liberties thus far and we want to use their tactics against them.

    Mark, that is precisely why we need YOU to stand up and be a figurehead for OC not only in Louisiana but elsewhere. But we need to do so in a manner that will not only attract other OCers, but attract the business owners, lawyers, and eventually the politicians who can force the localities to obey the current laws and to defend future attacks. A lot of LEOs know this site and know you. Use that strength for the benefit of personal liberty, not your own personal war. We need people on our side. We need numbers and right now we have little of either.

    I've seen first hand what the aggressive posture gets you in the eyes of the public and it is not productive. No one is asking you to compromise your principles, as I believe your principles are shared by all of us. I'm just asking you to consider your methodology and possibly alter it to be more attractive to a wider audience.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    No one is saying that there is no consequences and no one is advocating not offending anyone. That just ain't the way things happen.

    What is being said, and you said it yourself, when someone OCs then do so in a professional and polite manner. Answer their questions and conduct yourself in a way that makes them want to equate OC with reasonable people.

    At the same time, we must get our message out there to the masses. That means speeches, writing letters to the Congress Critters and the editorials, and other means. This is why I think you would be an excellent leader and spokesperson for OC.

    There are 2 fronts to this war. The public front and the battle front. The battle front is what you're focusing on. OC everywhere you go and take the fight to them. I (we?) are talking about a separate fight in the court of public opinion. It is in this area that we have lacked any worthwhile fight both in respect to OC and gun rights in general.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    You're right. No legislation needs to be enacted. However our right must be defended, and that is usually only accomplished by a politician. It's unfortunate but we do need those people on our sides.

    None of us are like most of the sheep for good reason. When I say reasonable people I mean that we should be viewed not as the "wild west types who are going to go off and start shooting at any minute." Instead I want OCers and anyone with a firearm to be viewed as a responsible and safe person that society is better off to be around.

    And I definitely agree that a legal team needs to be assembled to take the fight to them on their turf. The LOCAL group has stated that this is one of our goals.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    LA Confederate wrote:
    You're right. No legislation needs to be enacted. However our right must be defended, and that is usually only accomplished by a politician. It's unfortunate but we do need those people on our sides.

    None of us are like most of the sheep for good reason. When I say reasonable people I mean that we should be viewed not as the "wild west types who are going to go off and start shooting at any minute." Instead I want OCers and anyone with a firearm to be viewed as a responsible and safe person that society is better off to be around.

    And I definitely agree that a legal team needs to be assembled to take the fight to them on their turf. The LOCAL group has stated that this is one of our goals.
    Damm, what kind of medicine do you take? Did you forget to take it today?

    For the last few days you have not had 1 good thing to say about MEM, now today you want him to be your leader. Them other LOCO boys are gonna think you're LOCO

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    Mark, you're right. Things are FUBARed right now. But something has to give and the way things have been done, waiting on others to do it for you and all that just isn't going to work.

    That is why some of us started a group dedicated to OC in Louisiana.

    As far as law enforcement....that's another goal of LOCAL. To educate not only the public masses but law enforcement as well. It's a lofty goal but I think we will get there provided there are people willing to try. Me personally, I am also going to work within the system once I get accepted into and join the local Sheriff's Office Reserves.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    #1 chicken farmer wrote:
    Damm, what kind of medicine do you take? Did you forget to take it today?

    For the last few days you have not had 1 good thing to say about MEM, now today you want him to be your leader. Them other LOCO boys are gonna think you're LOCO
    I have always said that I believe Mark's heart is in the right place and I also believe Mark would be a great asset to the movement IF he would alter his methodology to be less antagonistic to the more moderate people in society. I don't like it, but that's how you get the numbers. Unlike you, Mark actually does things to promote gun rights. I mean other than coming to this site to troll.

    I have little use for you and the other lackeys on here who have no apparent motivation to be a positive part of this effort other than riding Mark's coat tails and being a yes man to him.

    And I highly doubt you will show up to the LOCAL meeting Wednesday night to talk smack to us in person. Coward.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hammond Area, LA, ,
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    Work within the system to effect change.

    Discounts on things such as firearms, ammo, lunch, etc.

    The possibility to be "in the know" of major events before the general public.

    Brotherhood, camaraderie, etc.

    An added level of protection for my family.

    Training on various subjects that I would like to know more about.

    And the biggest reason - to be an official part of community defense and security. In my previous associations of volunteer defense groups, well lets just say you don't even get the time of day when you volunteer to help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •