• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Police issues

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:
OC of a firearm in Louisiana is not a crime--and yet how often has it drawn response from the police? How about in Virginia?
Those weren't my comments.

Please, stay on topic or start another thread... hopefully in your own state's forum.
Virginia in spite of a few high profile incidents is quite good for OCers, but Va. has nothing to do with La.

Bet you can't get this back on the OP track. :?

Yata hey

suntzu

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:
OC of a firearm in Louisiana is not a crime--and yet how often has it drawn response from the police? How about in Virginia?

Please, stay on topic or start another thread... hopefully in your own state's forum.
Virginia in spite of a few high profile incidents is quite good for OCers, but Va. has nothing to do with La.

Yata hey
my point was and is valid--a legal exercise of rights in a no-permit req'd state is not a reason to conduct any type of involuntary stop--and that is what this thread is about--making it plain that we are not doing anything wrong. That is what the thread is about--the march would let them know that OC is not a crime.

barf

imported post

suntzu wrote:
barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:
barf wrote:
We also have the statute previous to this one - Louisiana Revised Statute 14:312 - on the books, but I'm sure it can be waived for folks like you.

Yes, I'm sure you don't want to derail the original thread.

No actually I don't want to derail the thread. As for your earlier comment about statistics about the correlation between baggy pants and crime...baggy pants in and of itself is not a determiner of crime-no more that is OC'ing a firearm in public in the state of Louisiana, Va, Ky, or any other non-permit required OC state--but how often are OC'ers approached by the police and then suffer the indignity of 4A violations for a non-crime?

Then here are your original comments, emphasis added is mine purely :"Unfounded? Are you really that naive to believe this tripe? Give me a freaking break. Or do I need to go get you crime statistics that show those of a certain group who favor the baggy pants commit the overwhelming majority of violent crime? It's simple statistics and common sense."

To which I responded "No actually I don't want to derail the thread. As for your earlier comment about statistics and the correlation between baggy pants and crime...baggy pants in and of itself is not a determiner of crime-no more than is OC'ing a firearm in public in the state of Louisiana, Va, Ky, or any other non-permit required OC state--but how often are OC'ers approached by the police and then suffer the indignity of 4A violations for a non-crime?"

Let's not get into petty arguing because it profits nothing.

Hey idiot - those aren't my comments. Get the frack off the Louisiana forum.

suntzu

imported post

barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:
barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:
barf wrote:
We also have the statute previous to this one - Louisiana Revised Statute 14:312 - on the books, but I'm sure it can be waived for folks like you.

Yes, I'm sure you don't want to derail the original thread.

No actually I don't want to derail the thread. As for your earlier comment about statistics about the correlation between baggy pants and crime...baggy pants in and of itself is not a determiner of crime-no more that is OC'ing a firearm in public in the state of Louisiana, Va, Ky, or any other non-permit required OC state--but how often are OC'ers approached by the police and then suffer the indignity of 4A violations for a non-crime?

Then here are your original comments, emphasis added is mine purely :"Unfounded? Are you really that naive to believe this tripe? Give me a freaking break. Or do I need to go get you crime statistics that show those of a certain group who favor the baggy pants commit the overwhelming majority of violent crime? It's simple statistics and common sense."

To which I responded "No actually I don't want to derail the thread. As for your earlier comment about statistics and the correlation between baggy pants and crime...baggy pants in and of itself is not a determiner of crime-no more than is OC'ing a firearm in public in the state of Louisiana, Va, Ky, or any other non-permit required OC state--but how often are OC'ers approached by the police and then suffer the indignity of 4A violations for a non-crime?"

Let's not get into petty arguing because it profits nothing.

Hey idiot - those aren't my comments. Get the frack off the Louisiana forum.
actually they are your comments--go back and read the thread page 4. As for being an idiot--that I am most certainly not. I won't however reciprocate your attempt an insults. I intend to keep this discussion on an adult level.

now, meanwhile, back on the farm we were discussing the benefits of the march.

barf

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
barf wrote:
suntzu wrote:

Yata hey
Well, they both have an "a" in their abbreviation and that's probably enough for this guy.

But back to the OP :), make sure you visit the LOCAL site Mike

LA Confederate

imported post

Um I was the one that made the baggy pants commentary.

As far as the march....as I posted in another thread here, I think the march has its merits but it also needs to be done in a way that doesn't detract form the message.

suntzu

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
Um I was the one that made the baggy pants commentary.

As far as the march....as I posted in another thread here, I think the march has its merits but it also needs to be done in a way that doesn't detract form the message.
well then, I apologize to barf and as such I have redacted the previous comments where I mistook your comments for his.

suntzu

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
absolutely

suntzu

imported post

sorry barf--I boo booed and tried to put words in your mouth which belonged to someone else.

barf

imported post

It is disheartening that some here would rather provoke infighting than join in on discussion about open carry.

Lies and distortions seem to be the norm with some.

barf

imported post

suntzu wrote:
sorry barf--I boo booed and tried to put words in your mouth which belonged to someone else.
Thanks, suntzu. It's good to know that some here can be civil and have logical discussions.

suntzu

imported post

Gentlemen, the infighting isn't helping to further the cause--our enemies want to divide us and create confusion. That is why they like to try and separate OC'ers so that they can more easily try to intimidate us. OC'ers need to give a united front against tyranny.

The point remains: We want to make it clear to the police that we are here, that OC isn't a crime, and that at least in the non-permit req'd states--OC in and of itself isn't even a justifiable reason to initiate a detainment, or conduct an illegal search or conduct intimidation with the aim to try and cause us to cower in fear at their mere presence.

The police need to be held to account for their actions against a lawful exercise of our rights. If that takes buying a new car, truck or house or even retiring on the county/parish dime then so be it.

Any time you have the opportunity to do so--file a complaint against the officers who harass/intimidate you.

Any time they violate your Constitutional rights--file a civil rights complaint with the FBI. Do it, and do it often. If Louisiana law permits you to initiate a criminal complaint--then when they unlawfully and without cause assault you, pull a weapon on you or threaten you--file a complaint and have them arrested--it may not get prosecuted, but at least they will know that you simply won't stand by and be threatened or assaulted.

Needless to say--have witnesses or get it on audio/video--makes for good youtubing.

The longer we put up with it, the worse it will get, because the police are under the impression that they can do/say anything they want and they expect us to stand by like nice little sheep and take whatever abuse they feel like giving--the longer we tolerate abuse, the worse it will get. History has shown that to be true.

Let me say it again--file a complaint against the officer(s), file a complaint with the FBI and if you have grounds to do it--sue-and sue as often as is necessary until they get the hint.

imported post

suntzu,
obviously, you've never tried to file a civil rights matter with the folks here in Louisiana. What may appear possible on paper only works if "they" choose to obey the law they swore to uphold, which is no guarantee. Unlike most here, I speak from experience.

Don't worry about separating the OC'ers here, as it's mostly CC'ers here.

I've provided enough info for direction, now it's up to someone to actually do it.

barf

imported post

Thanks suntzu, great post!

While some here are mired in their failures from the past, the majority of us realize that we need to take the types of actions you outlined if involved in an illegal detainment by the police. Some of these are definitely in my play book...

barf

imported post

turbodog wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I've provided enough info for direction, now it's up to someone to actually do it.
Do what?
Apparently... make an arse out of yourself enough whilst OCing, get arrested, file a civil suit, and make a name for yourself?

suntzu

imported post

barf wrote:
turbodog wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Do what?
Apparently... make an arse out of yourself enough whilst OCing, get arrested, file a civil suit, and make a name for yourself?
if civil suits help spread the word then so be it--I for one have no problems with taking settlement money from the county/parish--their money spends too.

JeepSeller

imported post

If a department, county, city, whatever, does you wrong...by all means, make em pay. But, DON'T take that money and beat your chest citing any thing other than greed. Taking that money does NOTHING for our cause but, alienate those we are trying to reach.

You want to sue an agency for wrong doing and make it about OC? Fine, give every stinking dime to a group that works toward that end.. such as THIS group.....or..how about you start up a legal fund to help defend even more who have been wronged? But, just don't go pocketing it or buying motorcycles. The only message you spread is greed and selfishnes and certainly doesn't apply to encourage any further acceptance of gun owners. In fact, you only succeed in catering to their already incorrect presumptions of us by doing so.

In other words, put your money where your mouth is...:lol:

Oh yea..and don't go taking the SETTLEMENT and beat your chest either. You really want to preach "making them pay"? No one forces you to accept any settlement. Take it to trial! Accepting the settlement is simply allowing them to pay you off and make you go away without admiting their wrong and avoids the public scrutiny of a trial. Grow a set and go to trial. Make them defend themselves in public court. THEN, and only THEN can you actually say you've done anything for OC....otherwise you're just a paid off quitter. :quirky

LA Confederate

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:
If a department, county, city, whatever, does you wrong...by all means, make em pay.  But, DON'T take that money and beat your chest citing any thing other than greed.  Taking that money does NOTHING for our cause but, alienate those we are trying to reach. 

You want to sue an agency for wrong doing and make it about OC?  Fine, give every stinking dime to a group that works toward that end.. such as THIS group.....or..how about you start up a legal fund to help defend even more who have been wronged?   But, just don't go pocketing it or buying motorcycles.  The only message you spread is greed and selfishnes and certainly doesn't apply to encourage any further acceptance of gun owners.  In fact, you only succeed in catering to their already incorrect presumptions of us by doing so.

In other words, put your money where your mouth is...:lol:

Oh yea..and don't go taking the SETTLEMENT and beat your chest either.  You really want to preach "making them pay"?   No one forces you to accept any settlement.  Take it to trial!   Accepting the settlement is simply allowing them to pay you off and make you go away without admiting their wrong and avoids the public scrutiny of a trial.  Grow a set and go to trial.   Make them defend themselves in public court.  THEN, and only THEN can you actually say you've done anything for OC....otherwise you're just a paid off quitter. :quirky

A-freaking-men