• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Police issues

mikediamo

imported post

Hello I'm new here been reading some of the posts here and have a few questions. I recently got a concealed weapons permit for Louisiana after i got out the navy and moved here. So as long as i don't bring it into the list of places by law i should be fine concealed or open carried. Second im generating a notecard in my wallet that has the law statue number that states it is legal to open carry in my wallet. That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mikediamo wrote:
Hello I'm new here been reading some of the posts here and have a few questions. I recently got a concealed weapons permit for Louisiana after i got out the navy and moved here...

Welcome to OCDO, MD. Lots of good information here. Plenty of OCers and CCers and 2A advocates here who like to help.

You sound like a reasonable chap. Enjoy the forum.

mikediamo

imported post

thank you im just trying to educate myself in the laws so i can follow them and protect myself with them

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mikediamo wrote:
...im just trying to educate myself in the laws so i can follow them and protect myself with them

That's a fine objective. Smart, too.

It's easy to get the hardware. The software's a more difficult thing...

turbodog

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
There is nostatute that states it is legal to open carry, only the Constitution and case law.

R.S. 14.94.1.1 did not pass, you found a copy of a dead proposed bill.
Some states have language in their CC permit laws that give the carryer the choice of open or concealed carry. Louisiana doesn't. The permit is for concealed carry only.

There are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so, and as Louisiana Carry pointed out, case law backs that up.

Welcome to OCDO bro.

imported post

"...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.

DannyAbear

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"...........there are no state laws AGAINST open carry and because of that absence it's legal to do so......"
WRONG. It's legal to do so due to the Louisiana state constitution, article 1 sec 11, which GUARANTEES and PROTECTS that right which existed long before the first Louisiana constitution ever saw the light of day back in 1812.
Yeah, what MEM said x2

turbodog

imported post

Yep, it guarantees and protects it so much I'm still waitin on you to go a walkin across that school yard.

Hey, if ya need company, take #1 chicken shi... uh, farmer with ya!

Louisiana Carry

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Yep, it guarantees and protects it so much I'm still waitin on you to go a walkin across that school yard.
Yeah, what turbodog said x2

barf

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
turbodog wrote:
Yeah, what turbodog said x2
Do I get to make a snide comment about trash in the schoolyard now and triple post it?

suntzu

imported post

mikediamo wrote:
That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.
You'll find that the majority of the cops fall into the "ill knowledged"
category--and really it isn't that they are "ill knowledged" it is more along the lines of "you'll do as we say or else" category...

So it is advised to keep an audio recorder on you and running at all times when you OC/CC--because the rights you protect will be your own--because the police certainly won't do it as they see your rights as something to be trampled on.

Welcome to OCDO.

nolacopusmc

Banned
imported post

suntzu wrote:
mikediamo wrote:
That way if an ill knowledged cop confronts me i can arm him with the statue that states open carry is legal. That way he can reference it.
You'll find that the majority of the cops fall into the "ill knowledged"
category--and really it isn't that they are "ill knowledged" it is more along the lines of "you'll do as we say or else" category...

So it is advised to keep an audio recorder on you and running at all times when you OC/CC--because the rights you protect will be your own--because the police certainly won't do it as they see your rights as something to be trampled on.

Welcome to OCDO.
I see you are from TN. Is it like that there, or do you have personal knowledge of LA cops?

Are they really that bad here?

sraacke

imported post

Gunguy wrote:
Are they really that bad here?

Gunguy,

For the most part, no they aren't that bad here.

Many know the law and don't bother OCers. There are a few though that either don't know the law and refuse to listen to anyone when corrected or, worse, have been told the law, learned it and simply refuse to follow it because it upsets their view of how the world should be.

We see it not only in Louisiana but other states as well. There's a OCDO member from Michigan who has been detained several times while OCing. He has posted about it here in the boards and even posted the dashcam from the officers on Youtube. It's often the same officers involved or from the same department. They have been told about the law yet, as a department, seem to be unable to grasp the fact that they are not supposed to being doing these stops. The officers also state misinformation such as by having a CHP the owner MUST Conceal since he gave up the right to open carry when he got the CHP. Not true.

Neither is it true when the Jefferson Parish SO and Deputy Steven Seagal confiscated a gun from a 20yo man because they insisted the law says only 21yos and above can have guns. Also untrue. Were they aware of the law and knowingly lied or were they unaware? It's hard to tell.

Goals of groups such as PAFOA, Georgapacking and our own LOCAL seek to educate LEOs and the general public about the law and their rights to avoid these problems. When they occure in the future the departments involved can't say they were not aware of the facts.

imported post

Gunguy,
While SOME know the law, there is still a problem getting them to OBEY the law.
The one's who intentionally violate OC'ers know damned well it's impossible to be arrested on criminal charges.
The BEST you can hope for is to manage an out of court settlement, as there seems to be a severe shortage of lawyers with balls enough to take them to a civil trial. Even then, most courts tend to look the other way when it's "law enforcement officers" being sued, which minimizes the amount awarded.
There's no need to look to the future, the attorneys for these agencies know damned well what the law is and do next to nothing to reverse the situation.

All the schmoozing in the world isn't going to change the way things are in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA.