• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anywhere safe anymore?

Seniordep2010

imported post

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6692332/

There was a shooting tonight inside my local mall. I mean I just don't feel safe anywhere in the damn city. I had a friend get abducted and robbed at Wal-Mart, now there's a shooting at the mall. What's next? Not to mention the attempted terrorist attack on an airplane today.
angryfire.gif

I'm sick and tired of this senseless violence and pieces of **** thug wannabes. They need to grow the **** up or get out of my town.

Is there anyway to stop this mess, or are we doomed from now on?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Seniordep2010 wrote:
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6692332/

There was a shooting tonight inside my local mall. I mean I just don't feel safe anywhere in the damn city. I had a friend get abducted and robbed at Wal-Mart, now there's a shooting at the mall. What's next? Not to mention the attempted terrorist attack on an airplane today.
angryfire.gif

I'm sick and tired of this senseless violence and pieces of **** thug wannabes. They need to grow the **** up or get out of my town.

Is there anyway to stop this mess, or are we doomed from now on?

Well, I wouldn't say we're doomed. There just happens to be a whole lot of people and a few morons that want to make our lives difficult.

I'd like to say there is a lot we can do but I don't know. We can try to curb danger to our environments through community action, blah blah blah... but we'll never be safe. People go postal, even the law abiding citizens may lose it or decide to go do something drastic like shoot up his or her family or an office full of people they used to work with.

I feel your concern. We must rally and take action. We have to take on the legislature, change laws, change public opinion. We can not detect the criminal element until they make a mistake or actually commit a crime.

So what do we do? We must be pioneers. We must be in control of our history.

Follow well in order, get your weapons ready;
Have you your pistols? have you your sharp edged axes? Pioneers! O pioneers!
~Walt Whitman

Scrub

imported post

I am within 12 miles of that mall myself so that one really hit close to home for my family. We were planning to go last Wed, but she found the gift she needed elsewhere.

I have not been there since I started carrying .............. does anyone know if it is a gun free victim zone? When we saw it on the news last night my wife looked at me and said "Can we carry our pistols if we go there? .............. 'cause I'm not sure if I want to go if we can't." Had to tell her I did not know, but I will find out.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

Be aware, hyper-vigilant even. If anyone approaches youon foot only allow them at a bare minimum to get within 15 feet of you and tell them to stop. There is unfortunatley lots of media that glorifies thug/gangster life so it's probably not going to go away anytime soon.

Regardless, these kids would latch onto whatever was mainsteam at the time and probably still commit the same crimes because the problem lies within their family, more specifically their parents.

Remember younger kids are way more volatile than your average criminal adult. Most of them have grown up in piss poor environments and have no regard for human life or laws. They also have not had the time, or the teaching to value or respect people in general.

If it feels wrong or unsafe, don't go there. If somebody has been eyeing you from the across the parking lot and all of suddenly breaks out in a fast walk towards you i'd suggest you'd stop them. Either they want to sell you something, or they want to take something, the response should be the same in both situations.

Be careful in crowded parking lots, and near ATM's. I have had more than one friend get kidnapped, robbed, and beat up... it happens everyday. Don't flash cards or cash, and that's really all the advice I can give.

Seniordep2010

imported post

You guys are right, but I wish there was something us law abiding citizens could do. We need to take back what ours and provide a safe community for everyone.

Scrub, I'm not sure if it's a no gun zone, but I too am trying to find out.

American Patriot

imported post

Term limits for all elected public servants. Get the ones out of office that facilitate such behavior with their myriad of protection laws.

Citizens must learn to agree on what is important for society and unite their efforts.

Resto Guy

imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
Be aware, hyper-vigilant even. If anyone approaches youon foot only allow them at a bare minimum to get within 15 feet of you and tell them to stop. There is unfortunatley lots of media that glorifies thug/gangster life so it's probably not going to go away anytime soon.

Regardless, these kids would latch onto whatever was mainsteam at the time and probably still commit the same crimes because the problem lies within their family, more specifically their parents.

Remember younger kids are way more volatile than your average criminal adult. Most of them have grown up in piss poor environments and have no regard for human life or laws. They also have not had the time, or the teaching to value or respect people in general.

If it feels wrong or unsafe, don't go there. If somebody has been eyeing you from the across the parking lot and all of suddenly breaks out in a fast walk towards you i'd suggest you'd stop them. Either they want to sell you something, or they want to take something, the response should be the same in both situations.

Be careful in crowded parking lots, and near ATM's. I have had more than one friend get kidnapped, robbed, and beat up... it happens everyday. Don't flash cards or cash, and that's really all the advice I can give.

I live not far from the city this shooting happened in. We have seen a shooting happen in our mall, too. It is posted "No guns/weapons", and I think that must make some sheeple feel a false sense of security. I avoid going there and shop elsewhere. But this stuff happens any time of day now, but naturally night time is worse. Gas stations robbed in the middle of the afternoon is not unusual around here.

Regarding telling an approaching stranger to "stop", what if they proceed to approach? What next?Back up/ Run?

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I don't speak for everyone here, but in a sense yes and in another sense no. You can't legally draw your pistol on someone for invading your space, and it could just be somebody that wants to have a conversation with a stranger, rare but a possibility.Usually if someone gives a direct command people listen, because it's not all to often somebody tells you to stop in your tracks.

However if the person keeps coming towards you when you've ordered them to stop it's a good bet they are up to no good, so moving backwards(not running and hiding) to keep the barrier is optimal until you deem the person a threat or not. If there is no comply or response my hand will be placed on my gun and i'll let them know I have it. Than if I feel threatened enough(fearing for my life threatened)I will draw and place my future in the hands of jury rather than a pallbearer, what you do is up to you.

Many things can tip you off to a persons mental state and/or intentions such as the clothes they wear, cleanliness, hygiene, general demeanour(by this I mean is he walking around in circles in the parking lot, does he seem angry, is he talking to himself, does he look like he is concealing something, etc. etc.). Use discretion, and if looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Sorry for the cliche but thought it was necessary.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

It is not legal to brandish your firearm, you will probably catch GATTOP if they can pin you on all counts. It is legal to open carry, which are two totally different things. I don't think there is specific law in NC about it, if i'm wrong i'm sure somebody will correct me.

The definition of Brandish will clear this up.

Brandish-
Etymology: Middle English braundisshen,[/i] from Anglo-French brandiss-,[/i] stem of brandir,[/i] from brant, braund[/i] sword, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English brand[/i]
Date: 14th century
1[/b] :[/b] to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly2[/b] :[/b] to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brandish

The word Brandish has a negative connotation and probably shouldn't be associated with Open Carry.

ocgso

imported post

Smith and Dan Wesson wrote:

I live not far from the city this shooting happened in. We have seen a shooting happen in our mall, too. It is posted "No guns/weapons", and I think that must make some sheeple feel a false sense of security. I avoid going there and shop elsewhere. But this stuff happens any time of day now, but naturally night time is worse. Gas stations robbed in the middle of the afternoon is not unusual around here.

Regarding telling an approaching stranger to "stop", what if they proceed to approach? What next?Back up/ Run?

You know this is why I carry. So many people don't think this is an issue, but if you aren't prepared you will be the victim.

Very simply put, you need to "keep AND bear arms". Many crimes occur away from home, and if you are not prepared, you will be part of the headline.

This is one of the reasons I like to OC, because I feel that it is a great way to prevent any situations, a great deterrant.

My two cents...