• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forced To Disarm And The Outcome

redboneshadow

imported post

18 Dec. @ 1200 hrs. someone tried to force enter my home. I called the police. Operator 117 asked if i was armed and i told her i am always armed and do have a permit. The chief dispatcher got on the line with me (operator 20) she demanded that i disarm. I told her very politely that my weapon is secure in my holster and this is my house and yard and I have no reason to disarm. She told the officers that i refused and was arguing with her. I explained that i was not arguing with her as I knew this would be on tape. She also told them that i would come out with my hands in the air but refused to disarm. Another lie on her part. They refused to even show up and take a report until i disarmed. Operator 20 stated again to leave the gun in the house. and to come out with my hands up. I told her i would leave it inside if it would clear this issue up. She told the officers and they showed up. I went outside to talk to them and 2 of them started lecturing me on obeying the dispatcher and to leave my gun inside from now on. I was surrounded by 6 cops with 2 standing in front of me with 4 more in front of the house and police cars all over. Then they left. The officers did not check the yard or house. Never got a case number.

Outcome:

23 Dec. 2009,

Just got off phone with a Sgt. in internal affairs concerning when I was forced to disarm. He stated I did nothing wrong and he is sending a training memo to Sergeants of different Precincts to re-train Officers in a situation like this. Also a re-training memo is being sent to dispatch since they did not follow protocol concerning this issue. He fully supports my right to be armed and protect myself.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

That is ridiculous. The dispatcher demanding that you disarm when you are on your own property??? WTF! Funny how some police/dispatchers think that they can just suspend the law and your rights just so they can "feel" safe. What kind of authority does a dispatcher think they have? As if they can force you to do something over the phone??? "Yeah, sure (dispatcher), you just try and make me disarm from over the phone line..."

Edit: spelling

redboneshadow

imported post

Per the Sergeant I talked to, he is sending a training memo to all precincts to re-train the new officers coming out about how to deal correctly with legal gun owners.

The chief dispatcher is going to be corrected by her neglect to follow procedures and putting a legal gun owner in possible harms way.

Re-training is also going to take place in dispatch to make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to procedures.

The officers that did not check the house or yard or supply a case number are going to be disciplined.

gsx1138

imported post

redboneshadow wrote:
Per the Sergeant I talked to, he is sending a training memo to all precincts to re-train the new officers coming out about how to deal correctly with legal gun owners.

The chief dispatcher is going to be corrected by her neglect to follow procedures and putting a legal gun owner in possible harms way.

Re-training is also going to take place in dispatch to make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to procedures.

The officers that did not check the house or yard or supply a case number are going to be disciplined.
Well if even half of that stuff happens it will be a good thing. Quite honestly I think a lot of problems can be solved by a dispatcher who is able to do their job well.

Wheelgunner

imported post

It's almost getting to the point that having 911 on the line is MORE dangerous to your life than calling them in the first place. It might be better just to call 911, state the problem and then hangup.

Can you imagine what a witness for the perps family she would be? "Well I told him to put hs gun down, but it was as if he WANTED to shoot someone. "

deanf

imported post

Seattle PD right? They are the only agency around here that refers to a "chief dispatcher".

No civilian dispatcher, chief or otherwise, has any authority to order you to do anything on the phone. Seems well handled by SPD in the end.

deanf

imported post

Call 911 shout HELP then hang up. They are obligated to send someone out.

That's fine if you are craven enough. Or selfish enough.

Why should you get to jump to the head of the line for acting like a baby? Can you at least admit that there might be someone close by who is in more trouble than you? If so, yet you still have no compunction about throwing a baby tantrum to get what you want, then you don't deserve any help.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

deanf wrote:
Call 911 shout HELP then hang up. They are obligated to send someone out.

That's fine if you are craven enough. Or selfish enough.

Why should you get to jump to the head of the line for acting like a baby? Can you at least admit that there might be someone close by who is in more trouble than you? If so, yet you still have no compunction about throwing a baby tantrum to get what you want, then you don't deserve any help.

Yep when my life and my loved ones are in danger from a prowler I'd say I am more selfish than the person who didn'tget "proper service" from a fast food restaurant.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

deanf wrote:
Yep when my life and my loved ones are in danger from a prowler I'd say I am more selfish than the person who didn'tget "proper service" from a fast food restaurant.

You clearly can't read.

I clearly can, you clearly lack the ability for abstract thought. :p Why you gotta be an ass?

Of course I was referring to the lady who tied up 911 with a call about being upset about bad service.

I also don't give a rats ass what you are going through when my family is in danger, My guess you wouldn't care about me either that is human nature. And was trying to make light of the situation which you failed to percieve, oh well my bad.

erps

imported post

Just got off phone with a Sgt. in internal affairs concerning when I was forced to disarm. He stated I did nothing wrong and he is sending a training memo to Sergeants of different Precincts to re-train Officers in a situation like this. Also a re-training memo is being sent to dispatch since they did not follow protocol concerning this issue. He fully supports my right to be armed and protect myself.

What do you think is appropriate for the officers to protect themselves? Leaving your gun inside while you step outside to speak with the officers seems pretty reasonable to me.