• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC encounter at Best Buy in Metaire, LA

DR JACK

LIVE IN S.E. AR BUT WORK / TRAVEL IN LA, Arkansas,
imported post

First I want to say hello to everyone. I am new to your forum and this is my first post. I have been reading through your site and discussions for about the last 7-8 days. As you can see I live in southeast Arkansas but work and travel extensively throughout LA. I do have a Arkansas CCW and have been carrying for about 10 years now. However, I ''prefer'' to open carry when possible. I am very familiar that LA is an open carry state. I have also carried openly in many places and stores throughout LA with no problems at all even while having friendly conversations with LEO's. So now you know a little about me I will get to my point. The night of Dec 16th 2009 I was traveling through Metaire and stopped at the best buy store. I had my Ruger 9mm in a kydex belt holster owb at the 430 position open carried with no jacket. (I have been in this store several times before with no incidents or questions). anyway, I walked in past the duty officer nodding and saying hello and went about my business. After about 30 minutes he walked by me while pushing a cart and picking up a few things himself. As he got close to me he smiled and asked what department I was with. At first I thought he was referring to which department of my company I worked for since it is a very large, well known and respected, company with several departments and since I was currently wearing a nice button up shirt with my companies logo on it. When I told him this he said ''oh so your not a law enforcement officer?'' I said no sir i am not. He then asked if I had a permit? To which i said yes sir i do. He then asked if it was for concealed weapon and i told him that yes It was. He then proceded to tell me that ''concealed means completely concealed'' and told me that I needed to return my gun to my vehicle please beacause it was illegal for me to carry my weapon unless completely concealed. At that time I told him It was my understanding from researching LA handgun laws that LA was a completely legal open carry state. He then told me that ''LA WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT AN OPEN CARRY STATE AND WAS HIGHLY ILLEGAL''. As I was on a short time frame and didnt have any legal documents on me I just told him that I would make sure and double checkthe lawsand advised him to do the same. As I was ready to check out I asked if It was ok for me to go ahead and check out and leave or if he was ordering me to leave and secure the weapon first and THEN come back in to check out. He told me it would be fine for me to go ahead and check out but just be sure to remember to keep my weapon concealed at all times or leave it in the vehicle from now on. He was very polite during all this as was I. However, it does dismay me that either he was completely and knowingly lieing to me, or else he really truly had absolutely no idea of what the true law is regarding handguns and open carry. Has anyone else had any problems like this in this area or store before? Is this still a very common problem in LA or is this just an isolated incident? any questions or comments?

sraacke

imported post

Not really a comment but a suggestion to help all of us. If this happens again it's important we get some specific information.

If possible, the name of the officer and the agency he is employed with. Also, whether he is there as part of a store security detail or if he was dispatched because of a Man With A Gun type complaint.

This will help those of us who wish to contact that agency in hopes of educating the officer and the department he works for on the law and correct his misinformation. Once an agency and it's officers have been schooled in the laws which they are enforcing and we can prove that the were given this information then we can start building a case for harrassment and other violations by officers of that department when OCers are detained or given similar misinformation in the future.

See where I'm going with this?

Officer Joe Blow sees an OCer and tells him that concealed means concealed and there is no OC allowed in La. The OCer or a OC advocacy group such as LOCAL sends the training officer, the Chief and that particular officer a certified letter containing the facts of the legality of OC. They can learn from it or ignore it but they now know the law. They know that a repeat of this may open them up to a lawsuit against their department.

All we are hoping for is that the LEOs who are out there on the streets are aware of the laws and stop working with false information.

PS

You did great and handeled the situation well. Congrats and welcome to OCDO.

DR JACK

imported post

Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. The officer was there as security detail before I arrived. I walked right past him as I came in the door and we both smilled, nodded, and said hello. (some may think that is strange but i am from a small town in Arkansas where everybody always smiles and says hello or nodds or something when passing). Not sure weather or not he noticed my weapon at the time or only later when we passed again in the store. And since his entire approach was polie and friendly I assume there were no calls. Just his curiousity.

DR JACK

imported post

Does anyone happen to know what LEA does the detail at that best buy? I have been considering contacting the officer's agency to speak with his chief, sherriff, commanding officer, IA or whoever just to let them know about the false info i was given and find out if that is their normal procedure or if maybe the officer just needs some further training to educate him and maybe some of his other officer's on the subject of open carry, and the legal, civil and criminal consequences that could occur if they mishandle an open carry incident.

turbodog

imported post

Welcome Dr Jack.

Did the officer have large blue/white shield patches on the shoulders of his uniform? That would be Jefferson Parish Sheriffs Office.

IA-Pro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey Dr. Jack,

What time of night were you there? I need to go pick up a USB hub this week anyway, maybe I'll drop by that store instead of the one in Covington.

I didn't think Best Buy had that type of security presence during the day. Or maybe it's just that location...

DR JACK

imported post

Thats great to know thanks. However I had a pretty good idea already that best buy's policy was pro-gun. I have open carried in many of them and cc in ones in my home state of arkansas. while inside the metaire best buy on previous visits (the incident in question was my 5th visit at that same store in under 2 months) i have had several employees and at least one manager make favorable comments about my holster, my gun, and also about how it made them feel safer that there was an armed and trained person with a weapon in case some ''crackhead'' came in to start shooting the place up like all the stuff you see on the news lately.....on a side note i have never had any problems with anyone in any of the multiple places I have carried in all over the state. walmarts, gas stations, restaraunts, grocery stores, bussinesses, att stores, you name it and i have probably carried in it with no problems....including all the malls in the state...and i have even chatted with, ate with, and walked by many LEO's that have ever made any comments other than friendly talk

turbodog

imported post

DR JACK wrote:
Thats great to know thanks. However I had a pretty good idea already that best buy's policy was pro-gun. I have open carried in many of them and cc in ones in my home state of arkansas. while inside the metaire best buy on previous visits (the incident in question was my 5th visit at that same store in under 2 months) i have had several employees and at least one manager make favorable comments about my holster, my gun, and also about how it made them feel safer that there was an armed and trained person with a weapon in case some ''crackhead'' came in to start shooting the place up like all the stuff you see on the news lately.....on a side note i have never had any problems with anyone in any of the multiple places I have carried in all over the state. walmarts, gas stations, restaraunts, grocery stores, bussinesses, att stores, you name it and i have probably carried in it with no problems....including all the malls in the state...and i have even chatted with, ate with, and walked by many LEO's that have ever made any comments other than friendly talk

Brother, you must seriously look like a cop ;)

You've carried in malls with no problem? The only mall I've been to in a good while has a no firearms policy. (Esplanade mall inKenner).

imported post

Continue to file federal civil rights lawsuits, suck as much $$$$ as possible out of the "system," make it HIGHLY visible, sooner than later, SOMEONE will catch on and put a stop to this asshattery being carried out by the "thin blue line."

VORiaSOI

imported post

and settle out of court for some used motorcycles.... that teaches a lot!

DR JACK

imported post

as amatter of fact I guess I look as much like a cop as someone could get....lol.....shaved head....very super short goatee...trimmed to stubble....usually dressed in jeans and very nice button up shirts that are always starched and cowboy boots......I also have a nice attitude and have been told I just have a military bearing and look about me that has a look of authority......and im always nice and friendly......i am NOT an LEO but have worked with and around them many many times.....and have carried so long and been around firearms so much throughout my whole life that I am very comfortable with a firearm so I am and always appear very relaxed while wearing my handgun

WWMD

Banned
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Continue to file federal civil rights lawsuits, suck as much $$$$ as possible out of the "system," make it HIGHLY visible, sooner than later, SOMEONE will catch on and put a stop to this asshattery being carried out by the "thin blue line."
THIS !!!!

you were victimized and deserve restitution and they deserve to be punished for their actions. The only punishment that reaches that high is money. Maybe if they had to pay out several hundred thousand, then they could not afford more fancy radar guns, phone taps, license plate cameras, and other high tech toys to snoop and prey on the true Americans.

imported post

My first option would have worked even better: Criminal charges.
But, since in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA, you cannot have the criminal laws applied against "one of them."
Some jail time would shout a lot louder than money talks.

aadvark

imported post

That Duty Officer is an idiot... Open Carry in Louisiana is completely Legal.

You should bring the incident to His employers attention. You should try to educate Him on Louisiana Law cocnerning Firearms.

It is not against the RSA 14:95 to Open Carry..., just Concelaed Carry is regulated.

Damn, I do not live in Louisiana and even I know that!

DR JACK

imported post

actually criminal charges CAN be filed against an officer. they have a protection of qualified immunity for most situations however they can be held accountable for clearly established gross misconduct....this was stated in the recent case in the court in new mexico

DR JACK

imported post

I have contacted the jpso sherriff and am waiting to hear back from him...this will give him a chance to see to the matter and the officer's education.....if he refuses to answer me or to properly handle this situation to my satisfaction then I will push it further up the line as far as i need to