• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ar15 question

jgross85

imported post

Hey im new to the forum and just want to know if some one could tell me if it is illegal to put a buttstock on a 12.5 or 14.5inch ar15 and if so why thanks for your time

5jeffro7

imported post

not in this state, if you do, it then becomes a SBR (short barreled rifle) which are forbidden in this state as per RCW. if it is a pistol, you are also not allowed to have a vertical grip on the front of it, otherwise it is an AOW...again, not allowed in this state.

you can, however, own a supressor/silencer...just not allowed to use it :banghead:

joeroket

imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
not in this state, if you do, it then becomes a SBR (short barreled rifle) which are forbidden in this state as per RCW.  if it is a pistol, you are also not allowed to have a vertical grip on the front of it, otherwise it is an AOW...again, not allowed in this state.

you can, however, own a supressor/silencer...just not allowed to use it :banghead:

You have a cite for your AOW claim? As well as a vertical grip causing a pistol to classified as an AOW.

5jeffro7

imported post

youu go ahead and think what you want, I contacted the AG office about a year ago & was informed that AOW's were not allowed in this state, but since you seem to know the law, you go ahead and make an AOW, I won't be visiting you in prison.

Batousaii

imported post

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

[/b]All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

--- and ---

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.

[/b](1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty; or

(b) A person, including an employee of such person if the employee has undergone fingerprinting and a background check, who or which is exempt from or licensed under federal law, and engaged in the production, manufacture, repair, or testing of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles:

(i) To be used or purchased by the armed forces of the United States;

(ii) To be used or purchased by federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agencies; or

(iii) For exportation in compliance with all applicable federal laws and regulations.

(3) It shall be an affirmative defense to a prosecution brought under this section that the machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle was acquired prior to July 1, 1994, and is possessed in compliance with federal law.

(4) Any person violating this section is guilty of a class C felony.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.190

Unicorn

imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
youu go ahead and think what you want, I contacted the AG office about a year ago & was informed that AOW's were not allowed in this state, but since you seem to know the law, you go ahead and make an AOW, I won't be visiting you in prison.

AOWs are legal in WA. The Serbu Super Shorty has been purchased by at least one person I know. As long as it wasn't built from an existing shotgun it's ok, but I digress. AOWs are ok here, just not SBRs, SBSs or machine guns.

If you make one, you of course have to pay the $200 to the ATF, fill out the forms, and wait however many months it takes. Plus convince the chief LEO to sign it or create an NFA trust or a corporation.

joeroket

imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:

Your right you won't, because I would not be violating the law.

I'm not sure who you talked to but the AG's office is not allowed to give legal advice to the citizens of the state. This is one of the many reasons why. Maybe researching the subject besides talking to the AG's office, which is obviously wrong, would be in your best interest.

David.Car

imported post

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=458387
U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Washington, DC 20226

Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.
Just need to pay your tax stamp.

Batousaii

imported post

OP was asking about butt stock on an AR-pistol, and though the info regarding the verticalpistol-grip is interesting, maybe we should revert to the OP-Q, and preferably with legit info and links opposed to arguments and banter.

:cool:Bat

David.Car

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
OP was asking about butt stock on an AR-pistol, and though the info regarding the verticalpistol-grip is interesting, maybe we should revert to the OP-Q, and preferably with legit info and links opposed to arguments and banter.

:cool:Bat
He already received the correct answer for that.

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

Isn't the above highlighted part in direct violation of the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878?!?
Very interesting. How do they plan on forcing the US military to carry out this act when they have no authority over them?

Capn Camo

imported post

The question hasnt been answered:

"Hey im new to the forum and just want to know if some one could tell me if it is illegal to put a buttstock on a 12.5 or 14.5inch ar15 and if so why thanks for your time "

Thats TWO questions:

1.) why do you have an AR with an illegal length barrell in the first place? 16.5 is the minimum if I recall correctly

2.) changing the butt DOES NOT change the barrel length.

A vertical fore grip DOES NOT change a rifle to a pistol. The ATF paper says "originally manufactured as a pistol..."

Its just a matter of reading the Law and not reading extra material into it.

Pistol means exactly that.