• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Help with Assembly of 1911 on the slide stop

jihadthis

imported post

I am brand new to the Springfield 1911 .45 and need help please. I can disassemble with no problem. But when I have to assemble it I have a heck of time getting the slide stop back in.

If you look at the picture I have attached, i am trying to figure out how you are supposed to keep that tiny little button depressed while you put the part with the notch back in to the dissembly notch. I find it damn near impossible to simultaneously press that tiny little button in while I try to make that part of the slide stop go into the notch.
Picture1.jpg

RVALueU_0RB8thxcUdwy0A

So far it has taken me depressing the button with a flat head screwdriver while my son presses the part into the diassembly notch.

I can only conclude that I am either missing something painfully obvious or I am just too weak to perform this step. If it just my lack of muscle please dont hesitate to tell me. If not muscle strenght, how the heck do get this bugger back in without alcohol and swearing involved?

btw I put the post through the barrel link first before I attempt to put the end into the disassembly notch.

Any help is HUGELY appreciated. Thank you in advance

6L6GC

imported post

I have the same problem on my Colt and Kimber too. It is more difficult on the Colt but I just thought it is an overly stout spring. If there is a trick to that part of the reassembly process I too would like to know what it is. Add my name to the list of inquiring minds...............

TheMrMitch

imported post

I suppose there is a way it's easily done at the factory.....but I don't know it.

I used a nail clipper file or something like a butter knife.:dude:

ADDED: After awhile it should be easier.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You have just described one of the most beloved features of the revered 1911.

One of the others is trying to find the recoil spring cap/plug on the floor of your B.R.closet because you didn't disassemble it in your bathroom with all of the drains closed. :?

And no mine aren't for sale - not ever!

Yata hey

Gunslinger

imported post

Go ahead and use a small screwdriver or file or better yet something plastic for awhile. It will break in and get easier. I had the same problem with both of my SIG 1911s. Now, I just push up and in at the same time and the front of the slide release goes right in. It's you getting comfortable that you won't break anything as much as the gun breaking in a bit. Lube the area well and then wipe it down after the slide stop is in.

architect

imported post

Some people use a thin piece of cardboard, e.g. a business card to help prevent the "idiot mark." This allows pushing up and in hard enough to push in the spring-loaded ball bearing without scratching the frame. I have found that it also helps to grow an extra hand or two when working on 1911's. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Hmmm. I do not have this problem with my Taurus PT1911. Or the AA .22 conversion.

They must be junk... :celebrate:lol:
Nah, just that loose fitting guns are a piece of cake. ;) :D

Yata hey

PavePusher

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Hmmm. I do not have this problem with my Taurus PT1911. Or the AA .22 conversion.

Yata hey
The guns aren't loose... I just have mechanic's/rock climbers grip. :shock::lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Yata hey
The guns aren't loose... I just have mechanic's/rock climbers grip. :shock::lol:
You're being gracious tonight - I left myself wide open.

1911s are the Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning's gift to humanity. :quirky

Yata hey