Thread: keeping weapins locked

Post imported post

hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I looking to try and find the penal codes that state that firearms need to be locked and inaccessible to minors in the home.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."
    - Dave Gell (inspired by author David Weber)

"The tragic history of civilian disarmament cries a warning against any systematic attempts to render innocent citizens ill-equipped to defend themselves from tyrant terrorists, despots or oppressive majorities,"
    - Daniel Schmutter

Post imported post

State Researcher

Post imported post

Once Heller is incorporated against the states, this law will be mooted. One of the issues addressed in Heller was DC's requirement that firearms kept in the home must be kept locked up or dismantled. SCOTUS ruled that this defeated the purpose of possessing firearms for self defense, and revoked that DC law (among others).

So, for now:

If you know or reasonably should know a minor has access to your home, then you must either keep it locked up -- OR -- keep it in your immediate possession/control. (IMO immediate possession/control would be within arm's reach.)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Once Heller is incorporated against the states, this law will be mooted. One of the issues addressed in Heller was DC's requirement that firearms kept in the home must be kept locked up or dismantled. SCOTUS ruled that this defeated the purpose of possessing firearms for self defense, and revoked that DC law (among others).

So, for now:

If you know or reasonably should know a minor has access to your home, then you must either keep it locked up -- OR -- keep it in your immediate possession/control. (IMO immediate possession/control would be within arm's reach.)
    Would it being loaded in your room witha locked room door while you are out of the home be ok if children in home? Sorry I am too lazy to read through the code right now.

Post imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
    Would it being loaded in your room witha locked room door while you are out of the home be ok if children in home? Sorry I am too lazy to read through the code right now.
    yes

Post imported post

mjones wrote:
    Streetbikerr6 wrote:
    yes
    It just dawned on my you said 'while out of the home'

While I or my wife are IN the home, I'm plenty comfortable doing this...if we are both out of the homeeverything goes into the safes.

If they were beyond a door that required an actual key (as opposed to a small screwdriver) I might be comfortable with it.

This isn't something I need to deal with much. We have not kids ourselves and out of our bagillion nieces and nephews all buta few are adults.

Post imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:

So, for now:

According to the PC it is only a crime if a child actually gets ahold of the gun, and the child takes it to a school, or the child harms him/herself or someone else with the gun.

So, from a strictly legal standpoint, you could "legally" leave your loaded firearms laying all over the house with dozens of little kids running freely as long as none of them do anything with the guns. (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME).

From a safety standpoint, unless the firearm is under the direct control of a responsible adult, it should be inaccessable to children, i.e. locked up.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
    Sorry for the delayed response... just now getting caught up with forum activity after a little break.

As others have indicated, it's only a crime if a child gains possession of the firearm AND takes the firearm into a public place OR causes harm to self/others with said firearm.

Now, what would a jury consider "secure"? ... your guess is as good as mine. I err on the side of caution... that child is gonna have to have a crow bar and a lot of help to get to it. Your standard interior door may not meet the jury's standards (I've personally seen one door lock defeated by a Q-tip).
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

In addition to the above, based on the wording of the statute, you can give the minor the key/combo to the locked gun for emergency use.