• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Air travel out of CA - how to pack

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

I plan to fly from SJ to San Antonio. I have a Utah CFP and I would like to take my G19 andcarry concealedthere. Must I notify the airlines thatI will have a gun in checked baggage? Can ammo be in same bag? Sincechecked baggage isscanned is there any risk involving theft by airline personnel?

Thanks

brad9point0

imported post

This is Southwest, most are the same...

Guns and Ammunition

Guns

Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.
Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and prove that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.
Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, LOCKED container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.
Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.
Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.
Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.
Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted

SouthBayr

imported post

Somewhat OT, but Photographers will always carry a starter pistol with them in their baggage.

The TSA agent will inspect the bag and then the passenger locks the case, while the passenger retains the only key.

This is also a way to ensure nothing gets taken from your baggage. Other TSA approved locks, all TSA agents have access to those so there is no security.

So if you want to make sure no one gets into your luggage while traveling, carry some sort of firearm with you.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
Other TSA approved locks, all TSA agents have access to those so there is no security.

So if you want to make sure no one gets into your luggage while traveling, carry some sort of firearm with you.

I didn't understand that sentence about TSA locks.

But I like your idea of always taking a firearm in checked luggageto prevent pilfering. Now let's hope they don't lose the bag!

Thanks

chewy352

imported post

The first time I flew with my firearms it was not explained to me that my bag will not be coming out on the conveyor. After the bags stopped coming I stormed over to the baggage office and demanded to know where my bag was. The lady scanned my receipt and then produced my bag from behind the counter. She then explained the airlines policy in its entirety concerning firearms and then I gave her a very sincere apology for my reaction.

So learn from me and be sure to ask plenty of questions about how your luggage will be handled and where it will be for you to pick up.

BTW I ended up getting a $50 travel voucher for my next flight. :D

SouthBayr

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
SouthBayr wrote:
 Other TSA approved locks, all TSA agents have access to those so there is no security.

I didn't understand that sentence about TSA locks.

But I like your idea of always taking a firearm in checked luggage to prevent pilfering. Now let's hope they don't lose the bag!

Thanks
They sell "TSA" approved locks in case you want to lock your baggage (without firearms), but every TSA agent has a key to those "TSA" approved locks to open the luggage and search.

When you carry a firearm, you put a real lock on it and you are the only one with the key.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
After the bags stopped coming I stormed over to the baggage office and demanded to know where my bag was.
then I gave her a very sincere apology for my reaction.

Got it. Thanks.

Now I'd like to know how you managed to get a $50 travel voucher

after " - - storming over to the baggage office - -"

You were rewarded for that?

Just curious

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:
SouthBayr wrote:
They sell "TSA" approved locks in case you want to lock your baggage (without firearms), but every TSA agent has a key to those "TSA" approved locks to open the luggage and search.

When you carry a firearm, you put a real lock on it and you are the only one with the key.
Aren't the locks that you can buy to use on your baggage for use to prevent theft from baggage handlers? IIRC that's where most of the pilferage happens. I doubt if a TSA person would try unlocking your bag to get something out in front of hundreds of people.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
This will tell you what you need to do.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

yelo, the definitive source. Thanks for a great link!

One thing I learned, (maybe I missed it here) is that the luggage has to be hardshell if you're going to transport a weapon. Something I was not aware of. And it's a good thing too because I was planning to use a soft shell bag to travel with. I can see why hard is preferred over soft as it would be easy to cut a soft with a knife in order to get into the bag.

So off I go to get me the right type of bag.

Thinking, what if I had used my soft bagand the airline clerk would say, "sorry, wrong type of bag." And I'm there with a ticket in hand, the a/c leaving in 1/2 hr and I can't board because the gun is in a wrong type bag. And my ride has left. Oh my, what would I have done then? I suppose I could run to a baggage store inside the airport and fork over a couple hundred dollars for a fifty dollar hard bag

SouthBayr

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
SouthBayr wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:

Aren't the locks that you can buy to use on your baggage for use to prevent theft from baggage handlers?  IIRC that's where most of the pilferage happens.  I doubt if a TSA person would try unlocking your bag to get something out in front of hundreds of people.

May prevent from the handlers, but not the TSA agent going through your bag. Have you ever received a card inside your luggage stating it was searched and your items may not be in the same place as when it was packed?

They do it all the time, and who knows what goes missing once opened.

That's why photographers will use a firearm, to protect their equipment from being searched, dropped, taken or whatever.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
The first time I flew with my firearms it was not explained to me that my bag will not be coming out on the conveyor. After the bags stopped coming I stormed over to the baggage office and demanded to know where my bag was. The lady scanned my receipt and then produced my bag from behind the counter. She then explained the airlines policy in its entirety concerning firearms and then I gave her a very sincere apology for my reaction.
Um, how did this airline manage to do this on a domestic flight where no special marking tag may be affixed to the bags with guns for anyone to see? Just wondering, never heard of this and the one time I flew with a gun in my bag it just plopped out like my other bags on the conveyor belt.

yelohamr

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:

Thinking, what if I had used my soft bagand the airline clerk would say, "sorry, wrong type of bag." And I'm there with a ticket in hand, the a/c leaving in 1/2 hr and I can't board because the gun is in a wrong type bag. And my ride has left. Oh my, what would I have done then? I suppose I could run to a baggage store inside the airport and fork over a couple hundred dollars for a fifty dollar hard bag

Before you spend a lot of money, check the thrift stores for old hard side suitcases, in good shape. With any luck they will have keys, but you can always put a hasp or two on it for padlocks.

I used a small Samsonite case and stripped the insides and put in foam rubber with cutouts for my gun safe and boxes of ammo inside another gun safe.

chewy352

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
After the bags stopped coming I stormed over to the baggage office and demanded to know where my bag was.
then I gave her a very sincere apology for my reaction.

Got it. Thanks.

Now I'd like to know how you managed to get a $50 travel voucher

after " - - storming over to the baggage office - -"

You were rewarded for that?

Just curious

The manager told me that it should have been explained to me where to pick up my bag when I arrived. Plus it was Southwest. They have excellent customer service IME.

Also possibly because of my apology as well. When I am wrong in my reaction then I will always apologize.

chewy352

imported post

Mike wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
Um, how did this airline manage to do this on a domestic flight where no special marking tag may be affixed to the bags with guns for anyone to see? Just wondering, never heard of this and the one time I flew with a gun in my bag it just plopped out like my other bags on the conveyor belt.
Well mine was marked and it was also a hard sided long gun case.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

chewy352 wrote:

Well mine was marked and it was also a hard sided long gun case.

--

OK, but I am pretty sure TSA regs or statute prohibits the airline from marking the bag with a gun in it so that is somthing to be on guard against.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

I found this golf bag on Craigslist. It's near where I live so I might try to get it. It's only $30 and described as barely used. It has a hard shell with wheels. Looks like I might be able to use it to put in one or two of my long guns.

This will be my first time posting with a photo. I hope it works.

PavePusher

imported post

chewy352 wrote:

So learn from me and be sure to ask plenty of questions about how your luggage will be handled and where it will be for you to pick up.

What airline? I've never heard of that before...

PavePusher

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
This will tell you what you need to do.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

yelo, the definitive source. Thanks for a great link!

One thing I learned, (maybe I missed it here) is that the luggage has to be hardshell if you're going to transport a weapon. Something I was not aware of. And it's a good thing too because I was planning to use a soft shell bag to travel with. I can see why hard is preferred over soft as it would be easy to cut a soft with a knife in order to get into the bag.

What airline was this? Again, never heard of that requirement. The firearm itself needs to be in a hard case, but I've never heard of a requirement for hard-sided luggage. (This may vary by airline, but I've never had a problem with my soft luggage.) It almost certainly does provide better security, however.

Edit: I was correct: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

No requirement for a hard-sided suitcase.