• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in my car?

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

Hello everyone! i am new to this forum and have a question for ya.

I have been carrying my gun on my outside the waist hip holster or known as Open carry when i have been driving in my car. i have the clip loaded but no round in the chamber. i do not have a CCW (yet). is this legal for me? if not what is the best way? on my hip but no magazine in it?

kimberfella616

imported post

Agreed. You could carry a 1911 with the hammer back and safety off with one in the pipe and legally you would be OK.

With that being said....If I saw you walking down the street like that I might have a serious one on one with you about safety. :p

KF

Vandal

imported post

You are good to OC in the car with one in the tube. In Washington you have to have a CPL to carry loaded in a car, even if it is open.

SInce you are in Moscow, make the little drive to the Pullman PD station and get a WA CPL. It is good in ID where the ID permit is not good in WA. The folks at PPD are really nice and make the 10 minute process very easy. It takes 2-3 weeks on average for it to arrive in your mailbox.

BTW, you coming to the meet tonight?

Louie86

imported post

The WA CPL is $55.25(according to their website it might be more now) and all it takes is fingerprints and a background check. No class is needed. Just head over to the pullman PD office(address below), it takes about 30min to fill everything out and get printed. They do have a really cool digital printer so no crappy ink on your hands. Then it took me about 3 weeks to get my permit. The funny thing is it's just a piece of paper, no picture, no nothing it actually looks like it could be fake. lol I went and got mine lamenated so it doesn't get ruined by water or something.

260 Southeast Kamiaken Street
Pullman, WA 99163-2664

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

So with the WA permit I don't need to take a class to get it? Like a basic pistol, or hunters saftey, ect? And can I get a WA cwp even if I'm not a resident of WA? Is the permit small? Like small enough to fit in my wallet?

Sorry guys I won't be able to go to the dinner tonight. I have to work on Sundays. If we could have one on a Friday or Saturday then I could make it. Thanks for all the help you guys.

Mike

Louie86

imported post

For a WA CPL no class is needed just the background check and fingerprints. As long as you live in a county that borders Washington you can get a WA CPL. I am not sure if that is completely correct or not but that is what I have heard, I could not find anything on their website that said anything about out-of-state permits. I have a Moscow address and they didn't have a problem with it. The permit if folded will fit in your wallet fairly easily. If you tri-fold it, it's about the size of a credit card. Hope this answers everything.

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

I wanted to thank you for the info on getting a WA CPL. I have received mine today in the mail about one month after i applied. I feel better about carrying in my car and everywhere i go.

Porter N

imported post

does it have to be holstered? I've heard of an "illegal transportation of firearm" charge if there's an unholstered loaded handgun or an unboxed unloaded handgun in the car. is there such a law in Idaho?

kimberfella616

imported post

No, there is no such law in Idaho and you do not have to have a permit to openly carry a gun in your vehicle in Idaho either. It can be loaded and sitting on the passenger seat if you want.

Louie86

imported post

Just remember it needs to be in plain sight. Also in Idaho there is no law saying you can conceal a rifle or shotgun so they do not count. They can be loaded and kept anywhere in plain sight or not, in a car or carrying it around town. I hope that made sense. KF if you can explain that better go for it.

Vandal

imported post

Ehh, MPD wouldn't shoot any of us. Question our sanity perhaps but they wouldn't shoot. The two MPD officers I had the pleasure of talking to Monday were quite polite and we even talked handguns for a bit.

kimberfella616

imported post

Louie86 wrote:
I voted for a BBQ in the park and we may want to tell Moscow PD first I dont feel like getting shot by a nervous cop.
In Oregon you can shoot back in self-defense. I wonder if that holds true here in Moscow as well.

Vandal: What did you do to be graced with the presence of Moscow's.....finest?