• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying someone elses weapon

jp49911

imported post

Are there any laws pertaining to carrying a weapon not registered to you? Obviously not stolen but like If my wife carried one of my guns. Also how do you go about gifting a gun to someone?

Thanks
JP

JDriver1.8t

imported post

There is no gun registration, so that isn't a problem. If a person is legally allowed to carry a firearm, they can carry your gun. They don't have to do anything special. If, for some reason, the serial numbers were run then it would just come up as stolen or not.

To gift someone a handgun, they need to obtain a purchase permit and give that to you when you give them the pistol. For a rifle, nothing is needed.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
There is no gun registration, so that isn't a problem.  If a person is legally allowed to carry a firearm, they can carry your gun.  They don't have to do anything special.  If, for some reason, the serial numbers were run then it would just come up as stolen or not.

To gift someone a handgun, they need to obtain a purchase permit and give that to you when you give them the pistol.  For a rifle, nothing is needed.

Sounds about right to me. Except, I am guessing if the person being given the firearm has a CCW Permit, then they don't need a purchase permit from their sheriff, right? I am not asking necessarily for JP's case, I am just curious.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
There is no gun registration, so that isn't a problem. If a person is legally allowed to carry a firearm, they can carry your gun. They don't have to do anything special. If, for some reason, the serial numbers were run then it would just come up as stolen or not.

To gift someone a handgun, they need to obtain a purchase permit and give that to you when you give them the pistol. For a rifle, nothing is needed.

Sounds about right to me. Except, I am guessing if the person being given the firearm has a CCW Permit, then they don't need a purchase permit from their sheriff, right? I am not asking necessarily for JP's case, I am just curious.
Ad JD stated a common misconception is that when a policer officer runs your gun it will show who bought it, etc. It does not because it would be too tedioius to keep track of such records, seeing in how must gun owners buy,sell, and trade quite regulary. It will only show if the gun is stolen or not, ALSO PLEASE READ THIS: some guns have the same serial numbers but are different brands and models so be knowledgable on your weapon, do not assume a LEO will know the difference between an AK and an H&K when it's called over the radio. Yes I got pulled over and my AK has the same serial number as a stolen H&K .45 and yes the officer thought it was the same until his superior came and gave it asecond check, thank god.

If you are buying a gun and you have a CCW you do not need a purchase permit that is correct. If you are borrowing a gun and you have a CCW you can also posses the gun legally. As JD stated if they have neither a purchase permit or a CCW you cannot 'gift' them a gun or let themhave it legally.

ocgso

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
Correct. If the reciever has a CHP then nothing is required.

You should make a photocopy of the CHP and on the additional white space make not of date, serial number, make, model, etc.

That way there is some written documentation of the transfer.

I wouldn't do this if it were a family member, but if you are selling/trading with someone you don't regard as family then this would be a good process.

Resto Guy

imported post

Myrightocarry - So if I have this correct,it is illegal to let my 27 y.o. son openlytransport/possess my handguns to practice with?? He has no CCW permit and is not a felon, etc.

Opinion or fact? Curious, because I've considered it.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

^It would be perfectly legal for him to take your G27 to the range, and OC with it. It is still your firearm, he would just be in posession of it.

Transport could be done unloaded in a case in the trunk as well.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

As long as he can legally posess it. What I meant was for owning, you are correct. Sorry the last sentence I snuck in a borrow, I edited it.Can't get by with anything around here.