• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conditions of Carry

redreed

imported post

Can somebody please define the conditions of carry?

For example, condition one, condition two, etc...

Also, a variety of ideas on when each is used by different people would be interesting.

I will start. I have a CCW Permit. When i am in an obviously dangerous neighborhood, I willOC loaded, with a loaded backup. I do this just in case some crazy loon somehow jerks my pistol out and tries to use it against me. I would never never never ever OC without my .38 special revolver as a readily accessible backup.

Otherwise, I carry concealed, and Utah unloaded. I do this for my personal safety weighing the risk of an accidental discharge against the likelyhood of an instant need. Shifting my carry state as the situation dictates.

redreed

imported post

Thanks. That is interesting info mqondo.

It is interesting to note that these conditions would not apply for a Glock, or several other common semi-automatic handguns. My Cobras, for example, have no hammer.

Nonetheless, It was what I wanted to know.

Thanks again. Be safe.

UtahJarhead

imported post

redreed wrote:
Thanks. That is interesting info mqondo.

It is interesting to note that these conditions would not apply for a Glock, or several other common semi-automatic handguns. My Cobras, for example, have no hammer.

Nonetheless, It was what I wanted to know.

Thanks again. Be safe.
That's correct. Not all conditions apply to all guns/rifles. This is the most common list of conditions for most guns:

WEAPON CARRYING CONDITIONS.[/b]
0. Condition Zero. Same as Condition One, except safety is off.

1. Condition One.[/b] Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, bolt is forward, ejection port cover is closed, and the weapon is on safe, hammer is cocked.

2. Condition Two.[/b] Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, bolt is forward, ejection port cover closed, weapon on safe, hammer is down.

3. Condition Three.[/b] Magazine inserted, chamber is empty, bolt forward, ejection port cover is closed, and the weapon is on safe, hammer down.

4. Condition Four.[/b] Magazine removed, chamber empty, bolt forward, ejection port cover closed, and the weapon is on safe, hammer down.

Notice how some guns don't apply to all conditions. For instance, having no hammer, an M-16 would see Condition 1 and Condition 2 as identical. Therefore, the M-16 (and the AR-15 and other similar guns) cannot have a Condition 2 as they have no hammer.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
Notice how some guns don't apply to all conditions. For instance, having no hammer, an M-16 would see Condition 1 and Condition 2 as identical.
O rly? No hammer in an M-16 eh??? :p

trigger-animation.gif

UtahJarhead

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
Notice how some guns don't apply to all conditions. For instance, having no hammer, an M-16 would see Condition 1 and Condition 2 as identical.
O rly? No hammer in an M-16 eh??? :p
Haha, good point. No external hammer that's directly manipulated by the shooter!

bmeldrum

imported post

redreed wrote:
Can somebody please define the conditions of carry?

For example, condition one, condition two, etc...

Also, a variety of ideas on when each is used by different people would be interesting.

I will start. I have a CCW Permit. When i am in an obviously dangerous neighborhood, I willOC loaded, with a loaded backup. I do this just in case some crazy loon somehow jerks my pistol out and tries to use it against me. I would never never never ever OC without my .38 special revolver as a readily accessible backup.

Otherwise, I carry concealed, and Utah unloaded. I do this for my personal safety weighing the risk of an accidental discharge against the likelyhood of an instant need. Shifting my carry state as the situation dictates.

It's interesting to see the conditions, I'd never heard of those before. But IMOwhen it comes down to it it doesn't matter to me. I have a permit, therfore I carry everywhere, before I had my permit I OC'd everywhere that I legally could go. Now that I have a permit nothing changes, I still OC everywhere CC when I have to (which isn't very often).

Personally: I never keep one in the chamber just simply for the fact that it's not hard to rack one in (I've practiced drawing and it's just a matter of seconds), if you're OC'ing all the time, everywhere, if in a situation 90% of the time the BG is going to notice & think twice, just gotta worry about that 10%. The other reason is I don't want to have an accidental discharge (not that that is likely to happen with an XD but you never know), also I have little kids, even though we've spent numerous hours discussing gun safety their attention span is zip, and even though we keep it locked up and in a secure place (that didn't stop me when I was a kid). I guess it comes down to personalpreference...

My question to you, I'm just curious: whyyoudon't OC all the time?than that would save some thinking, than you don't have to dictate: (you said you typically just CC/unloaded & only OC when you're in a dangerous neighborhood). Second, if you're worried about some jerk yanking your pistola out Iwould recommend getting a Blackhawk Serpa holster, there's no way someone can jerk that out! (without taking your belt or pants off... :shock:)

mqondo

imported post

redreed wrote:
I guess I am just a shy boy. As for the Serpa...perhaps one day...
I use a Blackhawk Serpa for OC and CC both. I really like it for the 1911. It sits close enough to my body that it is very hard to notice. I would recommend one.