• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anywhere to shoot?

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

i was wondering if any of you knew of a place or places to go and target practice near Moscow. i just got my gun and really want to go and target practice and i don't know anywhere i can go. Anyone interested in grouping up and do some shooting sometime?

Mike

Vandal

imported post

First, welcome to the Forums. I usually make a day and go up to CdA and hit up Center Target. I will try to get Louie86 or Kimberfella on here to answer. They knows more "out in the woods" spots than I do.

Be watching both here and in the Washington forum for the next Moscow/Pullman OC meet. I will try to get one put together soon, maybe Sunday if I can get enough interest.

Louie86

imported post

So I am trying to keep up on the forums this week. As for close to Moscow there are a few good places. As far as pistols go there is the Lewiston Pistol Club range that is about 15min outside of Moscow on Lenville Rd. (http://www.lewistonpistol.org/PetersonRange.htm) But you need to be a member of the club or with a member to shoot there. They also hold steel matches I believe it is the 3rd Sunday of every month.

If you don't mind driving farther out maybe 25-30min there is an ok place to shoot out near spring valley. lat=46.786411296, lon=-116.748556744 on Google earth gets you really close.

The best place to go shooting by far(it is far away) is out in Helmer which is about 45-50min east of moscow. It is safe with a rather large backstop(30ft), very large(450+ yards), has a shooting bench(about 110yd out), and usually no one is there. It is right off Forest Service Rd 377. Go too: lat=46.8542784404, lon=-116.423531864 on Google earth and you will be right on top of it.

Hope this helps. :)

kimberfella616

imported post

That place out in Helmer is awesome. It is quite the hike to get to though. Both in driving and once you get there. You can't drive your vehicle all the way in. Last time I went I carried a Pelican case with rifle/shotgun, targets, two ammo cans, range bag, etc.

Oh yeah. There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground (Bovill/Helmer will have snow when Moscow won't) and freezing rain coming down, with the GoreTex boots leaking water like a mother. LOVE RANGE DAYS!!!!!

Thanks for the lead on the Helmer range Louie. I'm interested in taking another trip out there (or somewhere else) if some folks want to split gas. I'm sure KG would want to go as well.

KF

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

Is there any more info on that lenville range? I keep hearing about it and getting that website on it but that link you have above didn't work. Plus the Lewiston pistol Club website says nothing about that range. That would be the best place for me to go. I wouldn't mind becoming a member.

Louie86

imported post

Sorry that link didn't work. If you go to the Lewiston Pistol Club website and on the top left click on Action Pistol(IPSC). About halfway down the page under club matches there is a link to Bernie Peterson Memorial Range. That is the range on lenville rd. Hope that helps.

MyGlockinIdaho

imported post

Thanks for more info on the Bernie Peterson range. Everyone called it the " lenville rd range" and I could never find anything on it because of that. I will have to go check it out soon and become a member.

Louie86

imported post

It's cool I didn't know the name either I just stumbled upon the link. Also their membership runs october to october and costs the same no matter when during the year you join so join up fast to use it as much as possible.

JB

imported post

Does anyone have info on the spot at Spring Valley? I was out there the other day and the gate was closed. People had obviously been going around it but I figured the gate was closed for a reason.

Louie86

imported post

I am not really sure who owns the gate(guessing the forest service) but it is usually closed during the winter and open during the summer. Not really sure why they bother to close it at all since it doesn't really go anywhere the road virtually ends a mile or two down. I have parked next to the gate and shot into the hill off to the right of the road with pistols, we even had a Latah County Sheriffs Deputy drive by and he just waved and kept going. So in general it is fine as long as you aren't creating a mess. I do warn you that this is only my experience and I can't say for sure if you would get into trouble or not.

idahoguy84

imported post

according to the Clearwater National Forest (Forest Service produced) map, the land around Spring Valley is all owned by the Potlatch timber company. That's why you see the orange signs (signifying that the area is posted no hunting/no trespassing) all around when you drive the road that forks to the right at the bottom of the dam. So... I wouldn't shoot there. There's plenty of spots to shoot off of Forest Service Road 3347 (Vassar Meadows Road) a few miles north of Deary. I usually set up shooting down an old closed and gated logging truck trail, with a good banked turn as a backstop.

thefirststrike

imported post

bigwookiee wrote:
OC Dinner at San Miguel's at 6 pm this sunday Jan 3. The time and place can be changed if needed. Everone is welcome.

Kool. I can make this one. I will see everyone there. (BTW, where is San Miguels)

Seriously, I have never been there. :)

Dave

kimberfella616

imported post

idahoguy84 wrote:
according to the Clearwater National Forest (Forest Service produced) map, the land around Spring Valley is all owned by the Potlatch timber company. That's why you see the orange signs (signifying that the area is posted no hunting/no trespassing) all around when you drive the road that forks to the right at the bottom of the dam. So... I wouldn't shoot there. There's plenty of spots to shoot off of Forest Service Road 3347 (Vassar Meadows Road) a few miles north of Deary. I usually set up shooting down an old closed and gated logging truck trail, with a good banked turn as a backstop.
Technically you can shoot on private property as long as it isn't posted. And in this case, it isn't. We have also shot right next to the gate, there is a small burm there. Don't expect to do much more than some close up pistol work.

FirstStrike:

Make sure you look at post dates, that dinner was back in January.

thefirststrike

imported post

kimberfella616 wrote:
idahoguy84 wrote:
Technically you can shoot on private property as long as it isn't posted. And in this case, it isn't. We have also shot right next to the gate, there is a small burm there. Don't expect to do much more than some close up pistol work.

FirstStrike:

Make sure you look at post dates, that dinner was back in January.

So it was!! I feel like an idiot :)

So then isn't it about time for another one? Preferably on a weekend nightso I can attend too, since I work weekday evenings.

So how about it ya'll?

Dave

idahoguy84

imported post

As long as you are at least 660 feet from the nearest orange sign you are OK, and if I remember right the oranges signs stop about 1/2 mile before that gate. Just don't shoot until you get to the gate and you'll be OK...

36-1603.TRESPASSING ON CULTIVATED LANDS OR IN VIOLATION OF WARNING SIGNS -- POSTING OF PUBLIC LANDS. (a) No person shall enter the real property of another and shoot any weapon or enter such property for the purposes of hunting, retrieving wildlife, fishing or trapping, without the permission of the owner or person in charge of the property, which property is either cultivated or posted with legible "No Trespassing" signs, is posted with a minimum of one hundred (100) square inches of fluorescent orange paint except that when metal fence posts are used, the entire post must be painted fluorescent orange, or other notices of like meaning, placed in a conspicuous manner on or near all boundaries at intervals of not less than one (1) sign, paint area or notice per six hundred sixty (660) feet provided that where the geographical configuration of the real property is such that entry can reasonably be made only at certain points of access, such property is posted sufficiently for all purposes of this subsection if said signs, paint areas or notices are posted at such points of access. For the purposes of this section, "cultivated" shall mean soil that is being or has been prepared by loosening or breaking up for the raising of crops, or used for the raising of crops, or artificially irrigated pasturage. No person shall fail to depart immediately from the real property of another after being notified in writing or orally by the owner of the real property or the owner’s authorized agent.

Louie86

imported post

Idahoguy84,

If you hit FS Road 3347 out past deary to the east between Helmer and Boville there is an absolutely great place to shoot, I talk about it in my previous post(I did mislabel the rd 377 instead of 3347 the lat and long are still good). But it is also 50 minuets away compared to the 20 or so to get to spring valley. You guys already talked about the legal stuff so I will leave it at that.

Another OC dinner sounds great I also vote for a weekend night this time.

How does saturday the 15th sound for everyone? Say around 6. Location TBD.