Thread: Shoulder Holsters

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on shoulder holsters/rigs for open or concealed carrying.

I am sure there are styles for various modes whether you want to carry concealed and under a jacket or coat and even for over a coat (for those times of the year.... like now for some of us) that want to open carry with a shoulder rig but stay warm, or just openly carry in a shirt.

Anyone currently doing this or had experience with shoulder rigs? Any thoughts pro or con?

I wanted to get one, merely as an option and was hoping for some insight as there are expensive models, REALLY cheap ones, and those in between.

Post imported post

I've tried a couple over the years but I was not impressed. None were very comfortable and they all placed the weapon right under my arm which added to the discomfort of the rig itself. Also, you can never remove your weapon/shoulder rig discretely if you ever need to.

They look good on TV but in my opinion are not very practical.

Post imported post

I use the Galco Miami Classic for my Walther P99 AS 9mm, a full size almost 2 pound firearm.

You have plenty of strap to get the rig adjusted to the way you want it to be. Most put the holster one hand width below their armpit for easy access.

I guess it would depend on your body build. I am 5' 7 and 170 lbs and I have been breaking in my holster now for 2 weeks and making adjustments up and down on the holster and the dual clip carrier.

Depending on where you live, climate wise will depend loosely on when you will find carrying in your shoulder holster to be desirable. I use it in the winter when it conceals easily and I have easy access to it by unzipping my jacket from the top to get access to the weapon.

There is a learning curve in getting used to the holster, but once you have it adjusted to YOUR liking you will find it to be very comfortable.

Mel

Post imported post

I use a Galco ******* shoulder rig for my Glock 17. I use it for winter concealed carry and occasionally during the summer underneath a button up shirt. Shoulder holsters are good to have when you spend any extended period of time behind the wheel of a vehicle. My first shoulder holster was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig and it's okay but the CQC magazine carriers don't have good horizontal retention. I had mags come out of them and fall to the floor at a buffet restaraunt. I'll never use another shoulder rig without snap flaps on the spare mag carrier.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

spyderdude wrote:
    I use a Galco ******* shoulder rig for my Glock 17. I use it for winter concealed carry and occasionally during the summer underneath a button up shirt. Shoulder holsters are good to have when you spend any extended period of time behind the wheel of a vehicle. My first shoulder holster was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig and it's okay but the CQC magazine carriers don't have good horizontal retention. I had mags come out of them and fall to the floor at a buffet restaraunt. I'll never use another shoulder rig without snap flaps on the spare mag carrier.
    My biggest thing about using a shoulder rig, like you said, would be for driving because you can crossdraw so easily on it. And especially while you're driving, crossdraw is a must in my opinion if danger comes up while you're sitting in the vehicle.

Post imported post

Just remember that your brass is going to be bouncing off the inside of your windshield and burning hot !

Post imported post

True....but like shooting a 7x7 ELK with a Super Magnum you won't feel it in the heat of the moment.hehehehe
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

For carrying in the cab I use a "G-Code" rig for my PPK/s. One advantage is that the weapon is accessible with either hand. In a tight spot I can be pretending to go for my money to fork it over and let the BG hold some hot lead instead. And yes, I have practiced drawing and disengaging the safety lefthanded (with an empty gun at home, ranges tend to frown on shoulder holsters).

Post imported post

Also there is an outfit called "Buck 'Em" in Pennsylvania that produces very reasonably priced and versatile nylon hip/shoulder convertibles.

Post imported post

I have a galco miami classic II that I use for long drives and occassional winter carry with my G23.

It is very comfortable and easily hides under a light jacket or coat.

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    Also there is an outfit called "Buck 'Em" in Pennsylvania that produces very reasonably priced and versatile nylon hip/shoulder convertibles.
    Do you have a website? I googled, but no dice, except for this thread!

I have a nylon cross-chest carry rig I used for hunting with my scoped .44 Redhawk. Very comfortable, but it's not ambidextrous.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Nah, they quit the web for some reason I guess you have to look em up... I posted their address elsewhere but I forget where. Very good rigs, though.

Post imported post

The only thing I don't like about shoulder holsters is the draw motion. You have to cross-draw which: 1: Potentially points your muzzle at innocent people. 2. Makes it more likely that someone would be able to pin your arm to your body before you could draw. For those reasons I prefer a strong-side belt holster.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."