• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Holsters

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on shoulder holsters/rigs for open or concealed carrying.

I am sure there are styles for various modes whether you want to carry concealed and under a jacket or coat and even for over a coat (for those times of the year.... like now for some of us) that want to open carry with a shoulder rig but stay warm, or just openly carry in a shirt.

Anyone currently doing this or had experience with shoulder rigs? Any thoughts pro or con?

I wanted to get one, merely as an option and was hoping for some insight as there are expensive models, REALLY cheap ones, and those in between.

HardChrome

imported post

I've tried a couple over the years but I was not impressed. None were very comfortable and they all placed the weapon right under my arm which added to the discomfort of the rig itself. Also, you can never remove your weapon/shoulder rig discretely if you ever need to.

They look good on TV but in my opinion are not very practical.

mel5051

imported post

I use the Galco Miami Classic for my Walther P99 AS 9mm, a full size almost 2 pound firearm.

You have plenty of strap to get the rig adjusted to the way you want it to be. Most put the holster one hand width below their armpit for easy access.

I guess it would depend on your body build. I am 5' 7 and 170 lbs and I have been breaking in my holster now for 2 weeks and making adjustments up and down on the holster and the dual clip carrier.

Depending on where you live, climate wise will depend loosely on when you will find carrying in your shoulder holster to be desirable. I use it in the winter when it conceals easily and I have easy access to it by unzipping my jacket from the top to get access to the weapon.

There is a learning curve in getting used to the holster, but once you have it adjusted to YOUR liking you will find it to be very comfortable.

Mel

spyderdude

imported post

I use a Galco Jackass shoulder rig for my Glock 17. I use it for winter concealed carry and occasionally during the summer underneath a button up shirt. Shoulder holsters are good to have when you spend any extended period of time behind the wheel of a vehicle. My first shoulder holster was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig and it's okay but the CQC magazine carriers don't have good horizontal retention. I had mags come out of them and fall to the floor at a buffet restaraunt. I'll never use another shoulder rig without snap flaps on the spare mag carrier.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I use a Galco Jackass shoulder rig for my Glock 17. I use it for winter concealed carry and occasionally during the summer underneath a button up shirt. Shoulder holsters are good to have when you spend any extended period of time behind the wheel of a vehicle. My first shoulder holster was the Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig and it's okay but the CQC magazine carriers don't have good horizontal retention. I had mags come out of them and fall to the floor at a buffet restaraunt. I'll never use another shoulder rig without snap flaps on the spare mag carrier.
My biggest thing about using a shoulder rig, like you said, would be for driving because you can crossdraw so easily on it. And especially while you're driving, crossdraw is a must in my opinion if danger comes up while you're sitting in the vehicle.

Alexcabbie

imported post

For carrying in the cab I use a "G-Code" rig for my PPK/s. One advantage is that the weapon is accessible with either hand. In a tight spot I can be pretending to go for my money to fork it over and let the BG hold some hot lead instead. And yes, I have practiced drawing and disengaging the safety lefthanded (with an empty gun at home, ranges tend to frown on shoulder holsters).

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Also there is an outfit called "Buck 'Em" in Pennsylvania that produces very reasonably priced and versatile nylon hip/shoulder convertibles.
Do you have a website? I googled, but no dice, except for this thread!

I have a nylon cross-chest carry rig I used for hunting with my scoped .44 Redhawk. Very comfortable, but it's not ambidextrous.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only thing I don't like about shoulder holsters is the draw motion. You have to cross-draw which: 1: Potentially points your muzzle at innocent people. 2. Makes it more likely that someone would be able to pin your arm to your body before you could draw. For those reasons I prefer a strong-side belt holster.