• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NICS Hold?

KY Soldier

imported post

Ever been put on a hold before? I tried to buy a rifle today from a local pawn shop and the purchase was put on hold until January 5th. I have no felonies and no domestic charges AND I am in the military. My only violations other than speeding are 1 DUI and 1 violation of keg law and 1 Disorderly Conduct BUT the keg law violation and disorderly were dismissed because I went through a diversion. I also happen to know that I'm basically the only one with my name because it is quite a unique spelling etc. so I doubt the was an issue with someone else having my name having a felony or anything like that. So why else would I be put on a hold? I'm quite frustrated actually.

Brian D.

imported post

Found outseveral years ago that there's a federal felon (ex-Class III firearms dealer that apparently sold somefull-auto stuffillegally) who has the same first and last name as mine. Really don't wish to be confused with him during a NICS check so thesocial security numberis grudgingly written on any 4473 forms I fill out.

Did one without the SS# and it went through okay; it was just a .22 pistol for plinkin' duty so a delay wouldn't have vexed me too badly.

KY Soldier

imported post

Well I got a call early this morning saying it was ok to pick up the rifle (a .270 Remington Model 7400 btw) so I guess it went through late yeaterday or very early this morning. I'm guessing they were either busy at the time or it didn't take them long to realize i'm not a criminal.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

I have 2 forms of national security clearance, and all my regular ID's and the last time I purchased a rifle it got held at the LGS for like 3-4 days.

In general it's no big deal. From what I was told it's an issue of workload. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it's instant.

The two times I have had a hold was when I was getting a gun from transfer at the LGS when I purchased it online and it got mailed to my LGS.

Every time I have purchased the weapon at the store, from the store, it was instant.

I did get a refused sale once, cause the guy asked me if my address information had changed and I thought he asked if my address was current, so I said Yes.

He stopped and looked at me and said, "Well I can't sell you a gun if this address isn't your address".

And I laughed and said OH I thought you were asking if that address was current, and he said, I was, and I said yeah that's why I said yes, and he said but I asked if your address had changed and you said yes.

It was a bit pedantic for a second and then he just took the gun off the counter and said, I can't sell you a gun today, you'll have to come back another time when you can answer questions.

LOL
I was furious, but in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal. Ever since then when I go into the store and he asks me if he can help me I tell him I will wait for "specific guy name" who I like dealing with.
Of course I know it irritates him because it's his store and I ask for his employee by name, but most people do. The guy who runs the place is just unpleasant, but his employee's are awesome.
His employee's are the only reason I still buy things there.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

It's still an issue of availability.

The gun merchant who is most unpleasant, is also the one with the best selection and most reasonable prices.

The primary alternatives to that store, are nearly just as unpleasant, but much much more expensive. In my area just outside of covington/cincinnati guns are still kind of a snobbish upper middle class thing.

Gun snobbery is pretty prevalent around here so the gun shops are kind of run like a higher priced department store. If you haven't already spent $5000.00 then you don't deserve the kind of service you would want to get. Of course the more they put you off the less you wanna spend money and the more they come to rely on the small customer base that can spend 5 grand a visit so it's a circular kind of jerk around for them.

The people who get the good service like feeling as though they are top pig in the pen so they keep spending. Everyone else walks out a little resentful and the store keeps it's prices high under the idea that once us "poor folk" get enough money scraped together we will want to come back and get treated like a Drysdale as well.

The gun shop that I got the very best service out of, is always nearly bare shelf of firearms. He always has a half a handful of really old surplus rifles that look like they have been used to prop open doors for the last 50 years and 1 or 2 consignment weapons that are about 2X the going cost whitout looking like they were taken twice as good a care of so it's hard to buy guns from him since he only seems to be selling the guns I already have, and a couple of them I bought from him....So it's one of those things where I don't wanna drive for an hour just to look at guns I probably can't afford right now anyway.

You know....that old chestnut.

Pace

imported post

Having worked with the processors in this, "1 DUI and 1 violation of keg law" might want them to query if there are felonies involved with this, or if the DUI was driving under the influence of something other that alcohol.

Pace
http://www.libertypace.com

Liberty4Ever

imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
Ever been put on a hold before? I tried to buy a rifle today from a local pawn shop and the purchase was put on hold until January 5th. I have no felonies and no domestic charges AND I am in the military. My only violations other than speeding are 1 DUI and 1 violation of keg law and 1 Disorderly Conduct BUT the keg law violation and disorderly were dismissed because I went through a diversion. I also happen to know that I'm basically the only one with my name because it is quite a unique spelling etc. so I doubt the was an issue with someone else having my name having a felony or anything like that. So why else would I be put on a hold? I'm quite frustrated actually.
It sounds like, in your case, NICS, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, was NECS, the National Eventual Criminal Background Check System.

:cuss:

I can't really even remember when we were free. I know when I was a kid, we could buy rifles and shotguns and have them shipped to the house. Before that, all sorts of firearms, including pistols, could be mail ordered from the Sears Roebuck catalog.

Sears%201908.jpg

KY Soldier

imported post

Butterbone- Where are you buying your guns? I've found the absolute best prices in our area is Quick Cash and Pawn in Florence. Some of the guys are assholes to the max but theres a couple in the gun section that are cool. Actually a fellow National Guardsman behind the counter is a joy to deal with.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KY Soldier wrote:
In my time working for a Dealer, I've seen this happen a lot. There is often no reason at all.

I've, personally, even been rejected. Call back next week, everything is fine.... I have a unique name as well.

The system sucks, the people running it are idiots.