Thread: Pistol training?

Post imported post

I'm looking to take a class on any type of gun safety so I can get my CCW, and to learn more. Anyone know who I can get a hold of to take a class? I live in Moscow and don't mind it if I have to travel a bit. Please help me!

Mike

Post imported post

Center Target in Post Falls. I haven't been there for a class myself but have heard good things.

http://www.centertargetsports.com/

Here is another in Boise
    http://www.defensivestressfire.com/

Joe is dang good at what he does and run his class like you would expect from a Marine combat vet.

Post imported post

I took a class through the Lewiston Pistol Club that wasn't bad if your just starting out. There are a few instructors in Moscow that use Sure Shot for training so you would have to check there to get a schedule, that is all for basic pistol tho. As far as more advanced training come to one of the dinners and either go out with one of the many ex-military in the area or I am sure one of them can point you in the right direction. Also just saying if Vandal says its a good class or a good teacher then it is good(just in case your ego wasn't big enough)

Post imported post

I also suggest you read a few books, DVDs etc. Before you take a class and/or get some range time in.

Books I recommend:

Surgical Speed Shooting, by Andy Stafford. This helps explain a lot about the biomechanics of shooting stance, more importantly why you SHOULD shoot isosceles vs. some half Weaver/Jack Bauer hybrid stance

Principles of Self Defense by the late Col. Jeff Cooper

DVDs

Rob Pincus' Combat Focus Shooting Series. Rob is real big on using the bodies natural responses to facilitate rapid/accurate threat engagement. You can catch him on the Outdoor Channel on Wednesday's The Best Defense.

The Art of the Tactical Carbine
    by Magpul Dynamics. If you own a combat rifle you owe it to yourself to buy, watch, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Also, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for dry fire practice. Every 15 minutes of live fire practice should be preceded by 30-45 minutes of dry fire practice in the home. Be SAFE about it. No one wants to sling a round through there walls. Make sure that the weapon is clear with ZERO live ammunition in the room to practice in. Once you finish practice and load back up, do NOT reenter your practice room for at least 30 minutes.

I assume you shoot Glock so there is a trigger kit you can get to drop in your Glock (see below). This will allow you to dry fire all day long without having to rack the slide to reset the trigger. Remember we all revert to training in high stress situations. No one wants to be in a firefight dumping out half their live ammo on the ground, because that is how they practiced during dry fire.

KF

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/46...CKAccessories/

Post imported post

The NRA website has a few people in Idaho that do firearms training. I took my course from a guy listed there, up in Idaho Falls iirc. Due to dial up internet, I can't find the link to instructors on the NRA website (they have a different set up for dial up, as opposed to broadband). Anyhow, if you poke around on their site for a couple minutes I don't recall it being difficult to find.