• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Painting your gun with a 6mm - 2" blaze orange stripe on the end

les_aker

imported post

bohdi wrote:
I have no issues with 1 - 3. They make sense.

I think the part you're missing is that is doesn't matter whether or not it makes sense to you, me, or anyone else. That's the thing about Rights. They are a personal decision that do not require qualification.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
This is a nationally accepted symbol identifying an airsoft gun. Why do it to a real gun, and can those reasons be accomplished equally as well by letters, email, phone calls, personal visits?
If it were, then I'd say it could be more effective.

Can you convince all LEOs in the U.S. to abide by their oaths and not violate the 2A and use excessive force upon law-abiding gun owners with letters, email, phone calls, and personal visits? No. Even if they each received a letter, an email, a phone call, and a personal visit, far too many would choose to violate us anyway, and claim qualified immunity.

With an orange tip, if they see it, they have to think twice, even unconsciously. "Am I about to destroy an actual law-abiding gun owner (by death or civil rights violations) and get a medal? Or is it an airsofter and will I lose my job and possibly go to prison for this?"

bohdi

imported post

Ok let's back track a second. So you have an orange painted gun. At what point does that cause a LEO to shoot you, or even want to shoot you?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Ok let's back track a second. So you have an orange painted gun. At what point does that cause a LEO to shoot you, or even want to shoot you?
It doesn't, unless you're holding it in preparation to fire.

The advertised intent of the orange/yellow tipped non-lethal gun laws was so cops wouldn't shoot children with all-black toys. There was a rash of these when I was a kid. When was the last time you heard of this happening?

Orange tip is an addition to the OODA loop.

bohdi

imported post

that's my point. LEO's have been conditioned over the years that orange/yellow = non leathal. So there should be no fear of getting shot while "playing". You shouldn't have to fear getting shot while playing, if you don't aim it at a LEO. Just like a regular gun.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
that's my point. LEO's have been conditioned over the years that orange/yellow = non leathal. So there should be no fear of getting shot while "playing". You shouldn't have to fear getting shot while playing, if you don't aim it at a LEO. Just like a regular gun.
Nope. I have more faith I would not get shot with a non-dark or non-stainless gun out of my hands.

Call me a TFHer, but I can't afford to practice what I preach, either. Otherwise I'd have one of the rarer USPs or duracoat (or whatever) the one I have.

simmonsjoe

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Simmon - I think it is relevant to have a completely seperate thread dedicated to this specific topic. There were way too many other issues related to everything that this topic is borne out of. Too many threads confusing the details. This thread can cover this issue.

There is a thread specifically dealing with the orange tip. It has some very very interesting posts in it.

NovaCop

imported post

This might be the most ridiculous threat I ever read. Orange tip so you don't get shot by a LEO? If you are legally carrying, your gun should be holstered, thus the orange tip will be covered anyway. If your orange tip is exposed, that means you are most likely brandishing your firearm and a LEO isn't gonna care if your gun is orange, yellow, or rainbow sherbet... they will legally shoot you because you made yourself a deadly threat. A LEO doesn't have time to observe your gun and determine whether or not it may or may not be real.

On a side note... my police department sends out memos and intel they receive. I have received multiple memos regarding criminals that paint their guns to make them look like toys, including an orange tip. The memos even contain photos of actual painted guns that have been seized. Trust me, a LEO won't think twice about shooting you if you present anything that resembles a gun in a manner that is threatening. Just carry legally and you can save the money you would've spent on orange paint.

buster81

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
This might be the most ridiculous threat I ever read. Orange tip so you don't get shot by a LEO? If you are legally carrying, your gun should be holstered, thus the orange tip will be covered anyway. If your orange tip is exposed, that means you are most likely brandishing your firearm and a LEO isn't gonna care if your gun is orange, yellow, or rainbow sherbet... they will legally shoot you because you made yourself a deadly threat. A LEO doesn't have time to observe your gun and determine whether or not it may or may not be real.

On a side note... my police department sends out memos and intel they receive. I have received multiple memos regarding criminals that paint their guns to make them look like toys, including an orange tip. The memos even contain photos of actual painted guns that have been seized. Trust me, a LEO won't think twice about shooting you if you present anything that resembles a gun in a manner that is threatening. Just carry legally and you can save the money you would've spent on orange paint.
Stop trying to apply logic where there is none.

NovaCop

imported post

buster81 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:

Stop trying to apply logic where there is none.
HAHA agreed

PT111

imported post

I would never compare kwik to Rosa Parks. Some of you need to read up on Rosa Parks and how she was CHOSEN to sit on the front of the bus. She did not do it on her own but at the orders of the local leaders. The line from the movie Barbershop says it well, "All Rosa Parks did was sit her ass on the front of the us".

bohdi

imported post

les_aker wrote:
bohdi wrote:
I have no issues with 1 - 3. They make sense.

I think the part you're missing is that is doesn't matter whether or not it makes sense to you, me, or anyone else. That's the thing about Rights. They are a personal decision that do not require qualification.
Interesting take, not entirely true. If it were so, then we would have had the right to carry in a National Park years ago...We would have a right to carry in all states years ago, and so on.

If you personally want to brush this under the rug by saying it's his right and ignore the larger issue, go ahead.

A man has stated he has a fear of being shot by LEO's. He states he hopes that painting his gun to look the same manner as a toy will prevent that from happening.

There is something very interesting going on in those two sentences that are not exlusive to each other that would make one pause and consider the persons' mental state.

A. Is this fear all the time?

B. Is it only when walking around in public armed?

C. Is it only when walking around in public with a particular piece of armament?

Is it socially and morally irresponsible to not help this man over come his fear?

Is it socially and morally irresponsible to turn a blind eye and encourage this man to continue with his beliefs when it might get him killed?

Scenario A - Fear all the time

Like most phobias, if it was severe and debilitating, the man would most likely not leave his house

Scenario B - While armed in public

Logic would say that you then avoid doing things that you are afraid of. If we encourage someone to do something they are afraid of doing, they are more likely to react in a way that could get them killed. --- I'm afraid of getting shot by LEO's, I'll carry a gun --- So what is the likelihood the guy in fear now shoots first unprovoked at a LEO as a result of this unnatural fear of LEOs?

Scenario C - While carrying a particular weapon

Logic would say that if you have a no fear of going about carrying a 1911, but do have a fear carrying a Glock20, you should not carry a Glock 20. Carrying a Glock colored Pink or carrying a Glock colored black is not going to change the fact you are still carrying a Glock nor will the color eliminate your fear.

Next one has to consider why a LEO would shoot a citizen.

1> The LEO is mentally incompetent/insane/snapped

2> It was an accident/squeezed trigger and didn't mean to/improper procedure/etc etc

3> They were baited into doing so

4> Fear for their life or that of others

5> They are an evil mother that slipped into LE under the radar and now have the opportunity and means to kill innocent people at will and until stopped

Only 1 and 5 explain unprovoked shooting of citizens and can provide support for the phobia. Nothing can prevent 1 and 5 from occuring. 2 - 4 require an initiating action from the citizen.

les_aker

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Interesting take, not entirely true. If it were so, then we would have had the right to carry in a National Park years ago...We would have a right to carry in all states years ago, and so on.

Yes, absolutely true. Please identify where in the US Constitution the federal government is delegated the power to create a "National Park".

bohdi

imported post

There is none. Perhaps that was a poor example. As a resident of VA you know you have RTKBA but that is restricted today. Can't carry in the GA building unless you have a valid CHP - a restriction.

I have already stated I don't have a problem with the coloring.

Will believing that by wearing a George Carlin doll around my neck be any more effective than painting my glock orange as a method of preventing a LEO from shooting me as I walk down the street, because that is my right?

B

Bikenut

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I would never compare kwik to Rosa Parks. Some of you need to read up on Rosa Parks and how she was CHOSEN to sit on the front of the bus. She did not do it on her own but at the orders of the local leaders. The line from the movie Barbershop says it well, "All Rosa Parks did was sit her ass on the front of the us".
My comparing Rosa Parks sitting in the front of the bus to kwikrnu carrying an AK pistol with an orange tip on his gun had nothing to do with either of the individuals involved....

It has to do with drawing a line in the sand. Doesn't matter who does it... or why they did it in the way they did it... or if they did it on their own or as part of a larger movement...

They drew a line in the sand and that is what mattered.

Every time we open carry we are also drawing a line in the sand... refusing to go sit in the back of the bus. Now... does it really matter what color the manner of our refusal is? Does it matter if we are part of a larger movement or doing it on our own?

But spending time distracted by an orange tip, or the reason why there is an orange tip, on the openly carried gun is like spending time distracted by what color dress Rosa Parks wore that day... or why she chose that color dress/style of dress. It just doesn't matter.... Rosa Parks refused to go sit in the back of the bus... and open carriers, regardless of the gun carried or the legal manner it is carried or if other open carriers agree with those things, are refusing to remain sitting in the back of the bus.

And, in the end, that refusal to accept having rights trampled upon is what really matters.

I can't help but think that somewhere there is a room full of anti gunners... Brady bunch types... sitting sipping fine wine with pinky fingers stylishly out laughing their arses off watching the open carry movement get sidetracked by folks scurrying around arguing about a gun with an orange tip.:cuss:

B

Bikenut

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Well I guess I'm the insane one for thinking it's an issue at all.
You're not really insane my internet friend... we have all been taught over the past few decades (intentionally too) to think about trivial things because that sidetracks the population from understanding what the big picture agenda is.

For example... the more I worry about why my cat pees on the carpet the more I can't grasp the concept that the problem is the damn cat... and not where the cat is peeing.

I see this manipulative strategy rampant everywhere... ever notice how the news is full of silly things (distractions) right at the time when the government is busy enacting disastrous legislation?

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Heres my take on the "orange tip".... plain and simple....

It's your actions, your demeaner that will determine whether or not an encounter with LE will be a positive one or a negative one.

Painting the tip of your gun orange, pink, purple, or polka-dotted yellow isn't going to change a damn thing concerning the outcome of an encounter with LE.

Now, maybe I'm wrong.Can anyone hereshow me one instance of someone carryingopenly in a holster, concealed, or slung on their back getting shot by LE???? I've been looking for that story for the last two weeks!!! Granted, I haven't been here as long as some, but I know how to research, and I can't find one!

The problem with LE as far as some of them violating our rights during an encounter will not change overnight, BUT IT IS CHANGING FOR THE BETTER.

As I said, your actions ALONE are going to determine if you get shot, NOT THE COLOR OF YOUR MUZZLE!

Someone PLEASE.......PROVE ME WRONG!!!!