• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Painting your gun with a 6mm - 2" blaze orange stripe on the end

ODA 226

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
buster81 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
This might be the most ridiculous threat I ever read. Orange tip so you don't get shot by a LEO? If you are legally carrying, your gun should be holstered, thus the orange tip will be covered anyway. If your orange tip is exposed, that means you are most likely brandishing your firearm and a LEO isn't gonna care if your gun is orange, yellow, or rainbow sherbet... they will legally shoot you because you made yourself a deadly threat. A LEO doesn't have time to observe your gun and determine whether or not it may or may not be real.

On a side note... my police department sends out memos and intel they receive. I have received multiple memos regarding criminals that paint their guns to make them look like toys, including an orange tip. The memos even contain photos of actual painted guns that have been seized. Trust me, a LEO won't think twice about shooting you if you present anything that resembles a gun in a manner that is threatening. Just carry legally and you can save the money you would've spent on orange paint.
Stop trying to apply logic where there is none.
HAHA agreed

This asshat painted the barrel of his weapon orange in order to make a police officer hesitate if the asshat covered the officer with the muzzle of his AK. Bangers have done this in the past and officers have been injured as a result.

Kwikrnu is an ASSHAT and has done more damage to our cause than the Brady Bunch has ever done. Maybe he and most of his supporters (most of whom have registered on OCDO around the same time and have less than 50 posts and most of those posts are in support of said asshat) ARE the Brady Bunch...

B

Bikenut

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
This asshat painted the barrel of his weapon orange in order to make a police officer hesitate if the asshat covered the officer with the muzzle of his AK. Bangers have done this in the past and officers have been injured as a result.

Kwikrnu is an ASSHAT and has done more damage to our cause than the Brady Bunch has ever done. Maybe he and most of his supporters (most of whom have registered on OCDO around the same time and have less than 50 posts and most of those posts are in support of said asshat) ARE the Brady Bunch...
I have seen the same attitude expressed in your second paragraph from concealed carriers in reference to open carriers in general on other forums. It is nothing more than one person, or a group of people, disagreeing (sometimes fervently) with how one of their own is behaving instead of supporting the overall cause in spite of disagreeing.

I am not supporting kwikrnu's decision to paint the tip of his gun orange.... I am supporting his decision to push the right to carry into the forefront of societies awareness.

It isn't the how.... it is the doing of it. It is the drawing of a line in the sand saying "I will not back down" (similar to... refusing to go sit in the back of the bus.") regardless of if others will stand with you... or even if your own will stand against you.

And (although I open carry for the purpose of educating folks I don't have the courage to stand right up there on the front line and push the issue) even though I have done so in the past I now understand the bigger picture and refuse to denigrate someone who does stand on the front line.

bohdi

imported post

Don't foul this thread further with lines in the sand arguements. That park was carried in previously, with other weapons. There was no need to draw a line and make any kind of stand. OC was already allowed in that park.

I started this thread to talk about the coloring because a statement was made that the coloring made someone feel safer if they encounter a LEO, out of being afraid they will be shot, unprovoked. That has to be a new phobia. It is not normal to feel that way.

As others have pointed out, myself included, that while it might make you "feel" safer, in reality that is not the case.

When carrying a weapon, the only thing that keeps you safe is your head. Your head will tell you to keep your hands off your weapon. Your head will tell you not to make threatening gestures toward the LEO. Your head will tell you not to point your weapon at the LEO. Your head will tell you to comply with LEO requests, even if they are wrong, so you can follow up administratively later if need be - demonstrated by tons of folks on this website.

OR

Your head will tell you to do something so bat sh!t crazy that might get you killed.

So if you desire to talk about lines in the sand, start a different thread please.

When does a phobia become a problem for the rest of us?

B

Bikenut

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Don't foul this thread further with lines in the sand arguements. That park was carried in previously, with other weapons. There was no need to draw a line and make any kind of stand. OC was already allowed in that park.

I started this thread to talk about the coloring because a statement was made that the coloring made someone feel safer if they encounter a LEO, out of being afraid they will be shot, unprovoked. That has to be a new phobia. It is not normal to feel that way.

As others have pointed out, myself included, that while it might make you "feel" safer, in reality that is not the case.

When carrying a weapon, the only thing that keeps you safe is your head. Your head will tell you to keep your hands off your weapon. Your head will tell you not to make threatening gestures toward the LEO. Your head will tell you not to point your weapon at the LEO. Your head will tell you to comply with LEO requests, even if they are wrong, so you can follow up administratively later if need be - demonstrated by tons of folks on this website.

OR

Your head will tell you to do something so bat sh!t crazy that might get you killed.

So if you desire to talk about lines in the sand, start a different thread please.

When does a phobia become a problem for the rest of us?
Please explain how comparing an orange tipped gun to a mental illness on a forum read by people from all over the country and the world helps gun rights?

Gun rights are a line in the sand.

bohdi

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Please explain how comparing an orange tipped gun to a mental illness on a forum read by people from all over the country and the world helps gun rights?

Man I need to work on my communications skills. Let's start here.

Do you, Bikenut, believe that if you have a gun, with the tip painted any color of your chosing, will prevent you from getting shot at; so long as you don't point it at a LEO?

buster81

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Now, maybe I'm wrong.Can anyone hereshow me one instance of someone carryingopenly in a holster, concealed, or slung on their back getting shot by LE???? I've been looking for that story for the last two weeks!!! Granted, I haven't been here as long as some, but I know how to research, and I can't find one!
I know kwikrnu must be able to provide at least one of these as he has stated repeatedly thatthe police shoot people.It's a fact according to him. That's why he is afraid.That's why you paint the tip of your gun orange. The orange prevents it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

Do you, Bikenut, believe that if you have a gun, with the tip painted any color of your chosing, will prevent you from getting shot at; so long as you don't point it at a LEO?
I believe that if I have a gun, of any color or with any part of said gun of any color, it should not make any difference to anyone... including LE.

Now... where/when did kwikrnu point his multicolored gun at an LEO? I seem to have missed that part?

bohdi

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

I believe that if I have a gun, of any color or with any part of said gun of any color, it should not make any difference to anyone... including LE.

Now... where/when did kwikrnu point his multicolored gun at an LEO? I seem to have missed that part?

It is in fact the part you missed.

Making the statement that he painted it (the gun) so LEO's wouldn't shoot him, implies that he believes LEO's have a reason to shoot him to begin with. What is that belief based on?

What protection does orange provide him that black or green or purple does not, when he doesn't point a weapon at a LEO? None.

What protection does orange provide him that black or green or purple does not, if he does point a weapon at a LEO? None.

What reason does a LEO have to want to shoot him on sight while OCing, unprovoked? None.

It is often times said here on this website that a person who is anti gun is afraid of an inanimate object. Most people are not afraid of inanimate objects, thus it has been labled as a phobia. Most people are not afraid that LEOs are going to shoot them on sight while OCing, hence, phobia.

MatieA

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
This might be the most ridiculous threat I ever read. Orange tip so you don't get shot by a LEO? If you are legally carrying, your gun should be holstered, thus the orange tip will be covered anyway.If your orange tip is exposed, that means you are most likely brandishing your firearm and a LEO isn't gonna care if your gun is orange, yellow, or rainbow sherbet... they will legally shoot you because you made yourself a deadly threat . A LEO doesn't have time to observe your gun and determine whether or not it may or may not be real.

On a side note... my police department sends out memos and intel they receive. I have received multiple memos regarding criminals that paint their guns to make them look like toys, including an orange tip. The memos even contain photos of actual painted guns that have been seized. Trust me, a LEO won't think twice about shooting you if you present anything that resembles a gun in a manner that is threatening. Just carry legally and you can save the money you would've spent on orange paint.
I have to disagree. The holster that I use for my .40 does NOT cover the end of the barrel therefore your statement is invalid as I have not been shot.

bohdi

imported post

Leave holsters out of it please, it's irrelevant to the topic. Especially since the source of this thread wasn't using a holster to begin with. Stay on track.

B

Bikenut

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

It is in fact the part you missed.

I am not aware that kwikrnu pointed his gun at an LEO. Please cite where that happened?

Making the statement that he painted it (the gun) so LEO's wouldn't shoot him, implies that he believes LEO's have a reason to shoot him to begin with. What is that belief based on?

What protection does orange provide him that black or green or purple does not, when he doesn't point a weapon at a LEO? None.

Could it be that he believes there is the possibility an LEO might over react because of the type of gun but the orange tip might make the LEO pause to assess the situation more carefully? Could that belief have any realistic substance?

Could it be that in this day and age of terrorism and the AK being the symbol of terrorism that kwikrnu's concerns might have some validity?

What protection does orange provide him that black or green or purple does not, if he does point a weapon at a LEO? None.

Why are you asking that question? Did kwikrnu say he thought he could get away with pointing his gun at officers if only he painted the tip orange? Did kwikrnu ever say he intended to point his gun at anyone? Did I miss that memo too?

What reason does a LEO have to want to shoot him on sight while OCing, unprovoked? None.

It is often times said here on this website that a person who is anti gun is afraid of an inanimate object. Most people are not afraid of inanimate objects, thus it has been labled as a phobia. Most people are not afraid that LEOs are going to shoot them on sight while OCing, hence, phobia.

That last paragraph of yours above is an example of twisted logic used to
extrapolate that because the gun's tip was painted orange the one who painted it must have some sort of mental issue... a "phobia".

What is disturbing is that so many (on this and other forums) are fighting amongst themselves over a stupid orange tip

What is really disturbing is how this kind of fighting amongst ourselves... and the denigrating comments... affect the perceptions of gun owners by anyone and everyone reading all this silliness. And the references that equate any gun owners with mental illness are like catnip to the anti gunners.
The reality is that, regardless of the color, regardless of what I or others think of the actions of kwikrnu, regardless of what I or others think about why kwikrnu is doing what he is doing, so far everything he has done is legal.

And so far, kwikrnu has every right to do what he is doing.

Funny thing about rights..... we all have them regardless of what someone might think about the legal way we go about exercising them... or the rationale for the legal way we go about exercising them. But once we decide that someone else must exercise their rights only in the way we deem acceptable then rights become privileges subject to the whim of someone else.

ODA 226

imported post

I fully support his right to carry whatever legal weapon he wants to carry. However, painting the tip to lead a LEO to believe he was carrying a NON-LETHAL airsoft gun while CONCEALING FROM COMMON OBSERVATION, that he was actually carrying a LETHAL weapon leadsa reasonable and prudent manto believe that he was carrying the weapon with malicious intent, the degree of which is only known to said asshat.

In Virginia, he would have committed a crime by doing this. (Yeah, I know he's in Tennessee...)

superdemon

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Les - alot of energy is being expended to try to understand the rational of a person who did something pretty strange.

If one is afraid of being shot for having a real weapon, and then one should be equally afraid of being shot for having an imitation weapon. Then it would stand to reason that if you have this fear, you should not carry anything that looks like a weapon to begin with, or could be mistaken for a weapon.

Most folks who legally carry weapons, don't do anything to provoke police into fearing their saftey, causing the police to draw their weapons. That doesn't mean a small group of LEO's don't have hair trigger mentalities, it means that there is no basis for this fear - I have a weapon therefore I know I might get shot.

You probably will get shot if you take it out and point it at a LEO. That I'm almost positive of. That's backed up by facts. It is also well known that if you point anything that looks like a weapon at a LEO, you might get shot. So it stands to reason that you shouldn't point anything that could look like a weapon or be mistaken for a weapon, at a LEO. Unless you want to get shot.

People with airsoft guns, painted orange or not, get shotwhen they point them at LEOs. That is a fact.

It is an invalid arguement to say that painting a gun in the same manner as an airsoft will prevent you from getting shot.
I can tell you this...

as a cop, I don't care what color your gun tip, frame, slide or whatever is. If you have what even LOOKS like a gun out when I get there (and the key word is OUT, as in drawn), you will get my gun in your face until I can seperate you from the weapon and figure out what is going on.

I am stunned at the number ofpeople who see and hear us coming, with lights and sirens on, who are still holding a gun when i get out of the car.

When I have had to draw on someone off duty (6 times)and hold them until marked units get there, I put my gun in my holster, and put my hands on my head, with the gun clearly showing, and waited for them to come to me. I've even been proned out and cuffed, and I could not have cared less, as it meant I was not going to have a gun pointed at me. And this is even when i have advised the local dispatcher that I was off duty and on teh scene with weapon.

Take no chances, and obey all orders, have the gun secured, and you stand a good chance of not getting shot.

drkarrow

imported post

ODA 226 wrote

Putting words into kwikrnu's mouth, accusing him of intending to point an AK at the police when he has said no such thing is completely uncalled for. This just as bad as what the nutjob anti's say about us OC'ers. In my boat you are no better than them.

I think he's trying to prevent getting shot in the back of the head. If the police think you are a terrorist or someone who is about to go postal, there is a chance that they will shoot you in the back of the head.

Don't you remember the mistaken subway terrorist. A guy was late, and running to get onto the subway. Undercover police thought he was a terrorist, chased him, and put 5 rounds into his head because it is the only way to stop a suicide bomber. The only problem is that the guy was completely innocent, but the police still mistakenly shot him dead.

Now it is possible the orange tip could work. If a lying anti calls in about a crazed madman waving around an ak47 at a public place, the swat team including snipers may show up. Now if the sniper taking up aim at the back of kwikrnu's head sees the orange tip, it is possible that it may cause him to second guess preemptively taking him out.

Certainly I won't be painting my guns orange, or hello kitty graphic pink. (i can't belive no one has posted that picture yet) But these rediculous accusations about kwikrnu are just getting out of hand.

With the way kwikrnu has been treated on this boards, I'm starting to be ashamed to be associated with the others here.

Yea, i have barely more than 50 posts, but look at my join date. It's before you, so to me you are the noob. Someone who thinks join dates and post counts have anything to do with credibility is well... I'll be more polite than you were and follow my mothers advice.

Marco

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
If you are legally carrying, your gun should be holstered, thus the orange tip will be covered anyway. If your orange tip is exposed, that means you are most likely brandishing your firearm and a LEO isn't gonna care if your gun is orange, yellow, or rainbow sherbet... they will legally shoot you because you made yourself a deadly threat. A LEO doesn't have time to observe your gun and determine whether or not it may or may not be real.

Really, maybe they should take the time it could save a life.
Oh no, I'm brandishing.

Marco

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I fully support his right to carry whatever legal weapon he wants to carry.

However, painting the tip to lead a LEO to believe he was carrying a NON-LETHAL airsoft gun while CONCEALING FROM COMMON OBSERVATION, that he was actually carrying a LETHAL weapon leadsa reasonable and prudent manto believe that he was carrying the weapon with malicious intent, the degree of which is only known to said asshat.

In Virginia, he would have committed a crime by doing this. (Yeah, I know he's in Tennessee...)
Agreed.

His permit (one is needed to Legally OC/CC in TN) allows him to CONCEAL FROM COMMOM OBSERVATION.

What his true intent was is only known by the orange tip painter.

bohdi

imported post

Alright folks settle down now. Take a deep breath, lol.

Bike - To add neutrality to this, lets say I was the one who made the comment,

"I painted my gun so I wouldn't get shot by LEO's."

Does that help? Now if I was concerned about getting shot by LEO's, why do I not paint all my guns if I own more than one? I mean, my fear is obviously pretty substantail if I am motivated enough to goto the trouble of painting a gun. Why do I even carry a gun at all?

The statement "I painted my gun" by itself is no cause for alarm.

The statement "I painted my gun because I like orange" is no cause for alarm.

The statement "I painted my gun because I don't want to get shot by LEO's" - now that requires a little critical thinking and analysis into the cause and effect of carrying a gun, and why a LEO would want to shoot you.

A very specific sequence of events has to take place for a LEO to shoot you. LEO's don't shoot you for carrying a gun, in a holster. LEO's don't shoot you for carrying a gun slung across your back. LEO's don't shoot you for having a gun in a shoulder harness.

If I said, "I painted my gun because it is an AK47 handgun, which is an unusual handgun style and I am afraid I might get shot because a LEO may not know the difference between this and a rifle, and I am afraid that carrying it might get me shot" -- That sir, is a completely different statement. Words matter.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Oh for chriszsakes cut the internet rhetorical crap! This kwikfool clown with the Draco AK is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal with this nonsense. None of his 'explainations' make sense w/o a serious stretch that can only be falsely attained. C'mon people... use your'common sense' if you have any left. This asshat is a goof with a gun. No more, no less. YES... Some people with guns really ARE crazy. Some that post on this forum really are crazy. No benefit of the doubt... You nutakes know deep down in your mental morass who you are.

Nutcakes find each other... and form groups. OCOAKDO will be next. Bumper stickers within' a year.

This has little to do with the 2A... and much to do about an attention whore douchebag who needsmental healththerapy.