• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

* UPDATE: All clear at Capitol following gun scare

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Black man with an M-16." Cannot. Breathe. Ribs. Hurt. From. Laughing. Someone. Owes. Me. A. Keyboard..

Bet it was a variant of an M-4, not an M-16.

Trivia game:

Based on "At about 4:15 officers from all the responding agencies " --

identify each agency that could have been involved and state reason they would be involved.

Bonus points for identifying the area of responsibility based on the incident ocurring "at the corner of Third Street S.W. and Independence Avenue S.W."

Additional bonus points and a gift card for free food at a national chain for identifying the agency that has absolute and complete right of way over all other responding agencies.

stay safe.

skidmark

lwdaniel

imported post

"The individual in question was reportedly an undercover officer with a valid carry permit who was approaching the Capitol, ...."

Must be bad up there at Capital Hill. Here in Texas, LEOs carry permit is their police credentials.

Dreamer

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Trivia game:

identify each agency that could have been involved and state reason they would be involved.

DC Metro Police--because it was in DC

DC Transit Police--because it happened on a DC Transit Bus

National Park Police--because it was in close proximity to the Mall area and the Capitol complex

FBI--close proximity to the FBI headquarters (just a few blocks away)

Secret Service--proximity to Capitol, White House, Dept. of Treasury, and Supreme Court Buildings, all which border the Mall area.

DHS--because ANYTHING that involved firearms and public transportation is now considered a "Terrorist Act"

TSA--same reasons as DHS

I'm sure that you can see now why ANY criminal investigation that occurs in DC will inevitably spiral into a proverbial cluster-f#@%, because EVERY LEA in DC can claim jurisdiction, but the fact is that MOST of them don't have the time, manpower, or desire to actually DEAL with events like this. It's no wonder that DC has one of the highest unsolved murder rates in the nation. The LEA's are literally tripping over each other's shoestrings in the District. You can't swing a fat cat without hitting half a dozen LEO's there, except for the fact that most of them have gotten VERY adept at dodging...

Bonus points for identifying the area of responsibility based on the incident ocurring "at the corner of Third Street S.W. and Independence Avenue S.W."
That would put it under Park Police because it's technically the National Mall. However, DC Metro could claim jurisdiction because it happened in the street. DC Transit could claim jurisdiction because it was on a DC Transit Bus. DHS could claim jurisdiction because it was a transporation-related event in the Capitol. Secret Service has a good claim too, because that's really close to the Treasury building and the Capitol.

But generally jurisduction goes to the "highest" agency who has a valid claim, so the prize would probably go to DHS, since they are essentially the "supreme Federal LEA" under the Neu Amerikan Reich...

Additional bonus points and a gift card for free food at a national chain for identifying the agency that has absolute and complete right of way over all other responding agencies.
DHS. See above...

The thing about this story that gets me is that the spokesperson for DC Metro said the LEO with the rifle was OK because he has a "valid carry permit". There is no such thing as a "valid carry permit" in DC for a handgun, and DEFINITELY not for a selective-fire long gun, unless you're a LEO in performance of your duties.

Under the LEOSA, any LEO from ANY jurisdiction may carry concealed legally in ANY place in the USA, on or off-duty, using ONLY their LEO credentials as a "permit". But I find it a little hard to believe that an M4 would fit that stipulation...

Alexcabbie

imported post

I just started aa thread about Gilbert Arenas drawing down on a teammate right inside the Verizon Center. Compare this massive reaction with the lame LE response to Arenas and tell me it does not give my thesis credibility..

DocV

imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
The United States Postal Service (US Mail)...should I send you my address now?:)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DocV wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
The United States Postal Service (US Mail)...should I send you my address now?:)

WE HAVE A WINNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please PM the snail mail addy & your prize will go out.

stay safe.

skidmark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Trivia game:

DC Metro Police--because it was in DC

DC Transit Police--because it happened on a DC Transit Bus

National Park Police--because it was in close proximity to the Mall area and the Capitol complex

FBI--close proximity to the FBI headquarters (just a few blocks away)

Secret Service--proximity to Capitol, White House, Dept. of Treasury, and Supreme Court Buildings, all which border the Mall area.

DHS--because ANYTHING that involved firearms and public transportation is now considered a "Terrorist Act"

TSA--same reasons as DHS
You have missed ar least 10, Go back and try again. :p

I'm sure that you can see now why ANY criminal investigation that occurs in DC will inevitably spiral into a proverbial cluster-f#@%, because EVERY LEA in DC can claim jurisdiction, but the fact is that MOST of them don't have the time, manpower, or desire to actually DEAL with events like this. It's no wonder that DC has one of the highest unsolved murder rates in the nation. The LEA's are literally tripping over each other's shoestrings in the District. You can't swing a fat cat without hitting half a dozen LEO's there, except for the fact that most of them have gotten VERY adept at dodging...
That would put it under Park Police because it's technically the National Mall. However, DC Metro could claim jurisdiction because it happened in the street. DC Transit could claim jurisdiction because it was on a DC Transit Bus. DHS could claim jurisdiction because it was a transporation-related event in the Capitol. Secret Service has a good claim too, because that's really close to the Treasury building and the Capitol.

But generally jurisduction goes to the "highest" agency who has a valid claim, so the prize would probably go to DHS, since they are essentially the "supreme Federal LEA" under the Neu Amerikan Reich...
BZZZZZZZZZZ! Sorry,neither arethe correct response. Would you like to use 1) a shout-out, 2) your lifeline phonecall, or 3) ask a 5th-grader?
DHS. See above...

The thing about this story that gets me is that the spokesperson for DC Metro said the LEO with the rifle was OK because he has a "valid carry permit". There is no such thing as a "valid carry permit" in DC for a handgun, and DEFINITELY not for a selective-fire long gun, unless you're a LEO in performance of your duties.

Under the LEOSA, any LEO from ANY jurisdiction may carry concealed legally in ANY place in the USA, on or off-duty, using ONLY their LEO credentials as a "permit". But I find it a little hard to believe that an M4 would fit that stipulation...

stay safe.

skidmark

* edited to respond to the bonus round response.