• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Raleigh (27613) Open Carry

eb8301

imported post

i recently started to open carry or attemted at least. im nervious about paying the cashier b/c i OC on my right hip and my wallet is in my right rear pocket. im afraid i'll be shot by a trigger happy cashier when i pass my holstered firearm and go for my wallet. what i currently do is carry from my house to the truck, place it on the seat and then go in the store w/ an empty holster. USELESS! any suggestions?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eb8301 wrote:
i recently started to open carry or attemted at least. im nervious about paying the cashier b/c i OC on my right hip and my wallet is in my right rear pocket. im afraid i'll be shot by a trigger happy cashier when i pass my holstered firearm and go for my wallet. what i currently do is carry from my house to the truck, place it on the seat and then go in the store w/ an empty holster. USELESS! any suggestions?

Either wear your holster further back, put your wallet on your other side or in your back pocket. You could also consider a crossdraw setup.

or

Don't change anything at all and don't be afraid.

Dreamer

imported post

I OC a full-size 1911 in a strong-side (right hand) holster. I carry my wallet in my right back pocket. I've NEVER had a problem when reaching for my wallet.

When I reach for my wallet, I sweep my hand LOW around my side, so that my fingers are actually below the bottom of my holster, so there is no way that the motion could be mistaken for an attempt to draw.

If you are concerned, just put your wallet in your left back pocket--or even your left FRONT pocket. Or get a money clip and carry your cash in the left front pocket and ditch the wallet altogether...

The options are limitless...

KyleKatern

imported post

Every shirt I own, button down, has pockets. 95% of my teeshirts have a pocket. When I OC, and half or more of the time when I CC, I keep my id/CHP/cash/credit card in the shirt pocket, or toss the entire wallet up there. This way if I have to reach for money, or if I get asked for ID and chp, I can reach for it in a 'safer' spot. Also a good thing since I almost ALWAYS CC as a backup to the OC.

Dreamer

imported post

Kyle,

I do the same. I have a "business card flip" that I keep my DL, CHP, and primary credit card in, and I usually tote it in my shirt pocket. My "big wallet" that has my cash and credit cards is kept in a pants pocket.

It makes for easier retrieval of my ID and CHP if needed, and it also means I don't have to awkwardly reach anywhere near my holster if I get stopped in my car, to get my IDs out of a rear pants pocket.

Plus splitting your "pocket litter" up into a couple wallets means if I ever lose my wallet from my pants, I won't lose my important IDs...

acritical

imported post

I live in the same area as you do and I have been open carrying for about 6 years now, as weather permits. I carry my firearm on my right side and my wallet inmy left rear pocket.

Never once was I concerned about giving the illusion of drawing or thinking the cashier would over react when reaching for my wallet. One advantage you have is that alot of the major stores that we can carry into, in this area, are used to seeing me coming in OC'ing my weapon, and I have had discussions about firearm carry. It is to the point that now, if I go somewhere that is not legal for us to carry first, and then stop by there without my firearm, I get questioned about not having it.

If you still have concerns about going to the store, feel free to contact me, I usually have to go to the store for some reason and would be happy to join you for your first time.

Just so you know, as far as grocery stores are concerned, I find Kroger's on Creedmoor and Strickland to be the most gun friendly. However, stray away from the Kroger at Creedmoor and Lynn, as they have posted no firearm signs. The reason from the general manager is that there was an incident (of some kind) in the parking lot one night with a gun, and therefore they no longer allow them in the store. Does not make sense to me, but obviously, it is just that particular store, and possibly the one on Strickland and Falls of the Nuese (have not been there is awhile) as I have been in multiple other Kroger's in Raleigh, Durham, and Cary, without incident.

chiefjason

imported post

Carry on my right hip, wallet in right rear, I don't worry about it. I just don't hover over my firearm if I'm reaching for my wallet. I go straight to my back pocket. Some things can be overthought. :dude: My biggest problem is getting into my front right pocket. The way my jeans are cut it is a pain with my Serpa holster.

zahalglory

imported post

I carry my firearm strong side, wallet in my left back pocket, and a few things in my shirt pocket. I agree with some of the other folks on here. Its a good idea to have a shirt pocket and keep your essentials in there. Don't worry too much about cashiers and others. If they freak out then you have an excuse to make a self righteous scene and say you'll never spend your money there again haha.