• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Contanct and banned from Northridge Mall

OPS MARINE

imported post

At 2031 on 29 December 2009, I was at Northridge Mall in Salinas. I had been there for about an hour and a half this time. On the way out, while in Macy’s, I noticed 3 Salinas Police Officers approaching me. One of them had an AR-15. They were unusually relaxed in their posture, but I’m certain that if it popped off, there would have been a different story. Their names are Officers Parsons, Robinson, and Cruz. I have two bags in my hands, and am patiently waiting for her to be finished in line. Here is how it went:

Officer Parsons: “Sir, would you mind coming over here for a moment?”

Me: “Sure.”

Parsons: “Do you have your credentials with you?”

Me: “ No, I have my Drivers License. Would you like to see it?”

Parsons: “Yeah, that’ll be fine.”

Robinson: “Are you active Law Enforcement?”

Me: “No, I am former Federal Police.”

Me to Parsons: “It’s in my left rear pocket.”

Parsons: “We’re here for you man, we’ve got all the time you need.”

I hand him the I.D. which he takes and begins to run it. I ask Robinson if she’d like to 12031(e) me at this time. She says to Cruz “I knew that was next.”

Parsons: “Yeah, this is what they were talking about in that class.”

They stood there and shot the breeze with me and didn’t check the weapon until the on-duty Security Manager arrived. This person, who was clearly devoid of any knowledge of the law asks that if I'm not an LEO, are they (the mall) going to be allowed to confiscate my firearm. Parsons looked directly at him and said

"No, he has done nothing wrong."

They even tried to decide which direction they should clear it in; toward the mannequins or at the floor. I offered the weapon to them, and Parsons retrieved it from the holster.

Parsons: “You can tell just by the weight he’s clear.”

I had to instruct him on how to release the magazine, after which he did, and then checked the chamber. He handed me the weapon and the magazine and told me I was okay to reholster. It seemed as though we were done here. Security was a bunch of bumbling fools, and when some woman came out to me in plain clothes with a kid, I didn’t know what to do. A child?! On a weapons call? Well alrighty then. She told me that I was going to be banned from the mall for a year. I asked her why and you will not BELIEVE what she said. At no time did the Police leave during this conversation.

Medina: “I just need you to know that you are going to be banned from the mall for a year.”

Me: “Why is that?”

Medina: “because you have a weapon of any kind and our code of conduct placed at the doors (which I never saw) says that we do not allow weapons of any kind.”

Me: “So the fact that you saw me and the Police are here and don’t seem to have any problem with it tells you that I don’t have the right to shop here?”

AND THEN THE BOMBSHELL

Medina: “Well sir, this is the third or fourth time we’ve seen you on the property with that gun. People are scared.”

Me: “First of all, if people were scared, then I would have been met by the Police long before this. Second, if you’d seen me before, what was the problem with approaching me? How many Security Officers did you have at the mall at those times?”

Medina: “Five or six.”

Me: “And five or six of you couldn’t just approach me and speak to me? At which point during your camera surveillance did you decide I was a threat? While minding my own business? Carrying a bag? Sitting down and not speaking to anyone?”

She did not answer the question. I have the card of the general manager and will go to see him in the morning bright and early. I was even threatened with arrest for trespass if I returned. They took my photo for a BOL. I will be back in the morning to let that manager know the what-for.

Note: Salinas Police Department was a class act during this entire occurrence. The Officers told me before we parted ways that they understood why I carried, but being in this city, it can go right or wrong, and the BG's may fire on me...and just to be safe.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

onedavetoomany wrote:
I'll add that mall to my boycott list.:cuss:

You should post the contact information to the mall manager. I'll call and complain.
Northridge Mall
796 Northridge Mall
Salinas, CA 93906

Call Us
Management Office

P: (831)449-7227
F: (831)449-6756

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

As before, OPS MARINE handled himself well, but its going to be difficult to sway the property owner or management with our combined outrage.

The problem is that as gunowners in California, we are already a minority- worse yet,open carriersare a minority, even among gunowners. The mall is looking at the bottom line- it is less expensive for them to boot out one person than to try to assuage the other 99.9999991 % of the public to make sure those customers come back with their money. In order for this to be effective, the mall would really have to be hit in the pocket book. 5 or 10 letter isnt going to do it. I dont know if it would be any more effective to appeal to the merchants that lease the property in the mall, but Im sure if the mall had 10 or 20% of their tenants drop out they would take notice. But again... unlikely.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Email sent:

Mr. Robinson,

I learned today that a friend of mine was banned from Northridge Mall in Salinas because he was lawfully carrying a firearm. While it is entirely within Macerich's rights to ban whomever they choose from their property, such actions do carry repercussions. I will cease spending money at any Macerich malls until such lawful activity is allowed at your company's properties.

I'll be contacting corporate by phone regarding this matter as well.

Thanks,
<name>

Corporate's number is: (310) 394-6000
Their public relations number (which is in Arizona) is: (602) 953-6550

OPS MARINE

imported post

Well tomorrow, when I go back, I am going to pose the same questions to the manager that I posed to that female. I will have the conversation that I had with the police printed for him to read. He will take note that the police did not confiscate my firearm. He will watch the surveillance footage of this incident and every other time I was at his mall. He will see that I am not and was not a threat. I will make him see this with my calm but sure demeanor. If they still decide to ban me, I don't think I care at this point, but I won't be a victim of the streets or this mall. I will ask him to lift the ban because it is ridiculous and late in coming. He either will or he won't.

OPS MARINE

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Email sent:

Mr. Robinson,

I learned today that a friend of mine was banned from Northridge Mall in Salinas because he was lawfully carrying a firearm. While it is entirely within Macerich's rights to ban whomever they choose from their property, such actions do carry repercussions. I will cease spending money at any Macerich malls until such lawful activity is allowed at your company's properties.

I'll be contacting corporate by phone regarding this matter as well.

Thanks,
<name>

Corporate's number is: (310) 394-6000
Their public relations number (which is in Arizona) is: (602) 953-6550
I really appreciate that. Thank you.

OPS MARINE

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
onedavetoomany wrote:
I'll add that mall to my boycott list.:cuss:

You should post the contact information to the mall manager. I'll call and complain.
Northridge Mall
796 Northridge Mall
Salinas, CA 93906

Call Us
Management Office

P: (831)449-7227
F: (831)449-6756
Thank you for posting that.

OPS MARINE

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
As before, OPS MARINE handled himself well, but its going to be difficult to sway the property owner or management with our combined outrage.
It may be difficult, Condition Three, but if we don't become outraged, no one will do it for us. I plan fully to go and give this manager a piece of my mind and hand him the penal code that says "Yes it's Legal." He will know, before I leave his presence, that I will not back down.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

wow this lady sounds like such a fool. She must watch too much t.v.... omg a gun it must be a bad guy! What the hell is she thinking?? Mall shootings are a reality, the only thing that stops mall shootings are citizens with guns. Most mall shootings end in a CCW citizen ignoring the GFZ and taking down the BGor the BG killing himself after killing many. Sadly reality may face her someday..

dirtykoala

imported post

I wouldn't go in. I would call them. I've been "banned" From 2 places and phone calls got me unbanned.

mjones

imported post

The subject line had me really confused for a second...we have a Northridge mall doen here in SoCal too. I've OCd there at least a dozen times with no reprocussions so far.

It sounds like you handled yourself excellently! My only monday morning critique would be to leverage that nice interaction to intercede the point that they aren't required to e-check you.