• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Contanct and banned from Northridge Mall

OPS MARINE

imported post

Here is the update:

I went there and made an attempt to meet with Rob Robinson. I was made to wait for thirty minutes because his office was in a different place than was described to me last night.

When a security officer called him to let him know I was there, he had no idea who I was. This is probably due to the fact that the paperwork was completely botched as if written by a fifth grader. My name was even incorrect, and this idiot had my Drivers License.

He shook my hand, and greeted me, and I said "May I see you in your office?"

Robinson: "Why don't we all just go into the Property Manager's office?"

I thought that was funny. Was he frightened? Unable to handle the situation on his own? Weary of a bodybuilder with a gun?

I was ready to go in with guns blazing (no pun intended) and let them know they were messing with the wrong guy in as much tasteful a manner as I could. Robinson didn't say much, leading me to the conclusion that he really wasn't in the loop. I handed him the Security Trespass report that I had corrected six times with a red pen and told him I didn't think it would hold because it was completely incorrect.

I handed Don Bentz (Property manager) the Penal Code which allows me to carry. He handed it back and told me rather politely that he was not a lawyer and did not wish to engage me in an argument about the RKBA. In his words, I looked too prepared to let him win. He asked me to tell him what happened. I read the entire transcript from what I posted here last night, and both of their jaws dropped.

He (Don Bentz) apologized and pretty much directed that the BOL be removed and the Trespass Order revoked...immediately...and he was not kidding.

I told them about Medina's attitude, and that seemed to get their fire going. Now, they were turning and looking internally at the problem and not focusing on me.

When the conversation cooled down a little, Don Bentz told me about 2 of his sons having joined the Marines, so he understood the mentality of preparation. He then wanted to backtrack and see if we were okay. I think he just wanted to be sure he wasn't going to be sued, but he was very friendly at 0830. He assured me that the BOL would be garbage within the next ten minutes.

I told him that if I do return, I will be armed when I step out of my truck, and before I get back in it, so the weapon will still be on his property. I may even carry it in a locked case with me. He said that was fine, and there would be no issues from his staff.

We shook hands, I walked out and placed my weapon back in the holster, almost assuredly on camera.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

That's great! Now I'll have to write another email...

Edit:

I realize that you probably didn't even receive this message prior to meeting with my friend this morning, but I want to thank you for your handling of this situation. I feel that you and Mr. Bentz have excellent judgment and are willing to address problems based on rational decision making. The open carry community appreciates your handling of this matter.

I'll be contacting corporate to express my gratitude over both of your excellent work.

Thanks again,
<name>

dirtykoala

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote: snip
Sadly reality may face her someday..
Yes, sadly it may.  There have already been shootings at that mall.

this is why uoc scares them. In the words of the Sunnyvale pd, almost every gun that was used in a crime was open carried durring some point in that crime.

OPS MARINE

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:
Yes, sadly it may. There have already been shootings at that mall.

this is why uoc scares them. In the words of the Sunnyvale pd, almost every gun that was used in a crime was open carried durring some point in that crime.
Well, that's because Sunnyvale PD wants it to read that way. Of course, if you don't OC at any time, you could shoot yourself in the leg and go to jail like Plaxico Burress.

OPS MARINE

imported post

I just realized something. This is my first Uniformed LEO Contact, and that was the most positive part of the initial experience. They were great.

coolusername2007

imported post

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Seems like everything is going to end well, and you'll have the property manager's buy in for continued UOC'ing while shopping there. Good to know the property manager isn't running their business based on emotions. Regardless of lawsuit fear or not, he made the right decision.

Also, this story supports my belief that many more people are pro-gun, than anti-gun, and if given half the chance they will side with other pro-gun people. This is the biggest, most glaring reason why standing down and shutting up are completely out of the question and cannot be tolerated.

This story makes me wonder (if it had gone the other way and they upheld the ban) what can we do to educate and influence their decision making. So then I thought about the Bass Pro Shops, I wonder if we could get senior BPSmanagement to share their thoughts, policies, practices and real life stories about their customers who carry throughout their stores nationwide with others like Westfield malls.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:

Yeah, it was open carried some point in that crime, when the criminal took the gun out and held it in a menacing manner.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
Here is the update:

I went there and made an attempt to meet with Rob Robinson. I was made to wait for thirty minutes because his office was in a different place than was described to me last night.

When a security officer called him to let him know I was there, he had no idea who I was. This is probably due to the fact that the paperwork was completely botched as if written by a fifth grader. My name was even incorrect, and this idiot had my Drivers License.

He shook my hand, and greeted me, and I said "May I see you in your office?"

Robinson: "Why don't we all just go into the Property Manager's office?"

I thought that was funny. Was he frightened? Unable to handle the situation on his own? Weary of a bodybuilder with a gun?

I was ready to go in with guns blazing (no pun intended) and let them know they were messing with the wrong guy in as much tasteful a manner as I could. Robinson didn't say much, leading me to the conclusion that he really wasn't in the loop. I handed him the Security Trespass report that I had corrected six times with a red pen and told him I didn't think it would hold because it was completely incorrect.

I handed Don Bentz (Property manager) the Penal Code which allows me to carry. He handed it back and told me rather politely that he was not a lawyer and did not wish to engage me in an argument about the RKBA. In his words, I looked too prepared to let him win. He asked me to tell him what happened. I read the entire transcript from what I posted here last night, and both of their jaws dropped.

He (Don Bentz) apologized and pretty much directed that the BOL be removed and the Trespass Order revoked...immediately...and he was not kidding.

I told them about Medina's attitude, and that seemed to get their fire going. Now, they were turning and looking internally at the problem and not focusing on me.

When the conversation cooled down a little, Don Bentz told me about 2 of his sons having joined the Marines, so he understood the mentality of preparation. He then wanted to backtrack and see if we were okay. I think he just wanted to be sure he wasn't going to be sued, but he was very friendly at 0830. He assured me that the BOL would be garbage within the next ten minutes.

I told him that if I do return, I will be armed when I step out of my truck, and before I get back in it, so the weapon will still be on his property. I may even carry it in a locked case with me. He said that was fine, and there would be no issues from his staff.

We shook hands, I walked out and placed my weapon back in the holster, almost assuredly on camera.

Great job friend! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Just a heads up on locked container carry. It is pretty much illegal to carry it locked in a container unless you are going directly from your car to a specific location/legal activityand directly back to your car. Wandering around the mall is not allowed under current law.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:

Lol that is ludicrous. Taking your weapon out of the holster would be brandishing, would it not?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:

Lol that is ludicrous. Taking your weapon out of the holster would be brandishing, would it not?
No- absent the elements of the crime.... rude, angry orthreatening... but Im sure they can impute the mere presence of a firearm as rude or threatening....

wewd

imported post

While I'm inclined to agree with Streetbiker on the legality of LUCC based on my reading of the law, the "right people" over at Calguns and their legal counsel are of the opinion that LUCC is legal nearly everywhere. They have successfully ended prosecution of at least one case, and have pledged to defend other cases. While I still see it as a legal gray area since there is no case law on the issue, that's where we are currently with LUCC.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

wewd wrote:
While I'm inclined to agree with Streetbiker on the legality of LUCC based on my reading of the law, the "right people" over at Calguns and their legal counsel are of the opinion that LUCC is legal nearly everywhere. They have successfully ended prosecution of at least one case, and have pledged to defend other cases. While I still see it as a legal gray area since there is no case law on the issue, that's where we are currently with LUCC.
Interesting. I don't frequent calguns though if you had their defense I am sure you would be well off. I can't see a case arising of LUCC anyways. What idiot is going to proclaim what he is carrying in his lockbox.

IA_farmboy

imported post

wewd wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but your comment would be much more meaningful if I knew what "LUCC" meant. I would appreciate being enlightened on the definition of that acronym.

OPS MARINE

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Seems like everything is going to end well, and you'll have the property manager's buy in for continued UOC'ing while shopping there. Good to know the property manager isn't running their business based on emotions. Regardless of lawsuit fear or not, he made the right decision.
While this would be ideal, I really don't think it's the way this ends. He specifically said he does not mind the weapon as long as it doesn't enter the mall itself. The way I read into his answer was as long as there's no weapon in the holster, I'm fine.

I specifically told him that I would be armed when I arrived and armed when I left...and that I may have that weapon on me in a locked box (not really), and he said that would be alright. He put himself there.

OPS MARINE

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but your comment would be much more meaningful if I knew what "LUCC" meant. I would appreciate being enlightened on the definition of that acronym.
Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry, sir.

OPS MARINE

imported post

And for those of you wondering, I don't know what Medina got, but I sure hope it was more than a serious scolding. Someone needs to explain to her the virtues of leaving her kid out of harm's way at a MWAG call. Aaaaand...not to be a complete and total tool while talking to the MWAG while the police are there and completely unwilling to take his weapon from him. What an idiot.