• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vaguntrader site down?

mercutio545

imported post

You shouldn't have a problem with PayPal and accepting donations to the site, as long as the donations aren't direct payment for a firearm.

I'm a member of XDTalk, and they do their donations through PayPal. Here is a quote from the old moderator/owner:

Many have asked how to make a small donation to XDTalk. I've checked with PayPal and they do not have an issue with us taking payments for donations for this forum.
I'd be happy to donate to keep the site running. If everyone who has ever sold a firearm on there just donated a couple of bucks, I'm sure that would keep the site up for a long time.

VaGunTrader

imported post

Curtis wrote:
It's back up! :celebrate
Just got an email. The host has increased the bandwidth for me. I'll bump it up to a higherbandwidth plan as soon as theybill me for it. I'm assuming it's back up and working as Curtis is happy !! The wifi internet connection here at MCV isn't allowing me to connect to my site because it isblocked-
Access to the web page you were trying to visit has been blocked in accordance with VCU Health System policy 1504, "Internet Access and Usage" for further details, please review:
http://issecurity.mcvh-vcu.edu/Pdf/ZAVANTA/HS-IM-PO-1504.pdf+
Please contact your VCUHS Information Security if you believe this is in error.

User: 10.70.19.9

URL: vaguntrader.com/

Category: weapons

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

wylde007

imported post

It was blocked in no fewer than three airports I traveled through in the past year for "inappropriate" or "blocked" content.

Several pro-gun/pro-liberty sites were, for that matter. This site was blocked in at least one location.

TFred

imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
trx680 wrote:
I wanted to offer the ads back when I first started the site, but I'm just not familiar withHTML andwasnt able to figure out how to make it work out, and gave up on it.
I feel incredibly confident that with the help of some folks on this site, you could have google adwords implemented within a few days, and be bringing in some revenue as a result. It's a dead simple way to monetize the great web property you have developed.
Google is extremely anti-gun. This site used to have Google ads, until they figured it out.

Not to say there aren't sponsors out there, just won't be Google.

TFred

VaLiberty

imported post

TFred wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
trx680 wrote:
I wanted to offer the ads back when I first started the site, but I'm just not familiar withHTML andwasnt able to figure out how to make it work out, and gave up on it.
I feel incredibly confident that with the help of some folks on this site, you could have google adwords implemented within a few days, and be bringing in some revenue as a result. It's a dead simple way to monetize the great web property you have developed.
Google is extremely anti-gun. This site used to have Google ads, until they figured it out.

Not to say there aren't sponsors out there, just won't be Google.

TFred
Ahh, understood. Bizarre world. - maybe these guys - http://www.poweredbywebads.com/SandD.htm

TFred

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
It was blocked in no fewer than three airports I traveled through in the past year for "inappropriate" or "blocked" content.

Several pro-gun/pro-liberty sites were, for that matter. This site was blocked in at least one location.
I wonder... if any of these airports (or other facilities for that matter) are publicly owned, are they allowed to censor perfectly legal content?

I believe your site does an appropriate job of outlining the rules and making it clear that only legal transaction information is allowed on the site, on what basis can they decide such content is inappropriate?

TFred

wylde007

imported post

I don't think they really care in places like Romulus or Long Beach.

And, if they are providing the bandwidth, I suppose they can regulate it as they see fit.

It's not like I need to arrange a FTF sale or chime in on the next OC supper while I'm halfway across the country.:D

VaGunTrader

imported post

wylde007 wrote:

http://www.iweb365.info

I just used this proxy server to acess my site. Click on ALLOW COOKIES before making your way to the website. You'll have to deal with a few popup ads.

Repeater

imported post

TFred wrote:
wylde007 wrote:

I wonder... if any of these airports (or other facilities for that matter) are publicly owned, are they allowed to censor perfectly legal content?

I believe your site does an appropriate job of outlining the rules and making it clear that only legal transaction information is allowed on the site, on what basis can they decide such content is inappropriate?

TFred
The Code of Virginia grants state agencies narrow authority to block emplyee access to "sexually explicit content"-- but that's all.

Any government agency that is blocking access to any other type of web sites, such as http://vaguntrader.com/ is acting without legal authority.

Perhaps those affected, like trx680, should ask what they believe their authority is.

wylde007

imported post

I don't recall mentioning that they were blocked in a Virginia Air Carrier Terminal.

Specifically: Detroit (Romulus), MI; Long Beach, CA; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.

simmonsjoe

imported post

trx680 wrote:
Curtis wrote:
It's back up! :celebrate
Just got an email. The host has increased the bandwidth for me. I'll bump it up to a higher bandwidth plan as soon as they bill me for it. I'm assuming it's back up and working as Curtis is happy !! The wifi internet connection here at MCV isn't allowing me to connect to my site because it is blocked -   
Access to the web page you were trying to visit has been blocked in accordance with VCU Health System policy 1504, "Internet Access and Usage" for further details, please review:
http://issecurity.mcvh-vcu.edu/Pdf/ZAVANTA/HS-IM-PO-1504.pdf+
Please contact your VCUHS Information Security if you believe this is in error.

User: 10.70.19.9

URL: vaguntrader.com/

Write them a letter informing them they don't have the authority to block that site, see what happens. FOIA for the code allowing them to do so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
trx680 wrote:

Odd. All I ever found on vaguntrader was sporting goods
I sold an evil black SKS there Doug!

As a matter of fact, within an hour I had one fellow who wanted it but wouldn't tell me where he lived and didn't answer the question about having any legal prohibitions, and another who wanted to pay a hundred dollars more than I was asking. Unfortunately he was in California on an extended business trip but would send a cashiers check that week.:uhoh:

Then I got someone who was normal....kind of.:uhoh:

Repeater

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Write them a letter informing them they don't have the authority to block that site, see what happens. FOIA for the code allowing them to do so.
Yes! They assume the burden of proof. Make them prove they have the legal authority to block firearm related web sites.

richarcm

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
Yep, it has been down since last night. I guess the site is getting too popular and can't handle the bandwith.
Its a great site, and it seems to me some sort of fund drive might be in order, especially for those of us who have bought or sold a firearm on that lovely site. I'll contribute a one time 5% of the $600 I've spent on there as a Buyers Premium, if a paypal account existed for me to forward said funds to.
Better yet, paid advertising. I'd be happy to put an ad on his site.
Yeah, theres no sense having created a website that is doing so well and not manipulate it to bring in some money.