Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Coincidence

Post imported post

Just had a strange thing happen to me. Sort of. Not sure if I should make anything of it or not.

Had the landlord over and two repair guys going through the house. Of course, I was open carrying. Nobody says anything to me re carrying but they all leave and I sit down at the pc to check my mail etc. Not even ten minutes later I notice on my security cam a squad car sitting directly in front of my house.

Nobody else is around. My blinds are open and I know you can see directly in my house from where they're at. However, I 4 different cameras with the cheapest b/w being directed towards the front. So I'm in my computer room (where they couldn't see me) and I'm not really motivated to step into my living room yet I can't make out what exactly they're doing because the camera resolution sucks.

They sat there for a good 10-15 minutes and then pulled away.

Coincidence or not? I don't know what to make of it.

Post imported post

Probably just coincidence. I would think your landlord would have said something if he thought your pistol was an issue. The LEO may have justcleared a traffic stop and decided to pull over in that area to do the paper work. I'm sure if the LEO thought or was toldthere was a problem he would have made contact with you.

Post imported post

Looks like you are correct. My city has an online 911 call dispatch website, delayed a bit of course. Nothing is showing on the log and the log is now well past the appearance of the squad.

Lol, I'm not ashamed to say when I first glanced over and saw that squad sitting there, my immediate thought was somewhere between concern and panic. Lots of scenarios running through my head. Mostly being, don't answer the door...

Post imported post

Coincidence, I'd believe. Probably had to fill out some paperwork and needed a quiet spot to do so. Police are nothing to be afraid of.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    Police are nothing to be afraid of.
    bnhcomputing wrote:
    Rule #1: Don't talk to police.

Rule #2: At the point where you feel/think you have to talk to the police .......... See Rule #1
    QFT

Post imported post

Um, yeah...I realize police have a tough job to do. Of course there are good ones. But there are also bad ones. And unfortunately the bad ones don't have that brand tattooed on their foreheads. That being said, I prefer they do their tough job elsewhere, nowhere near me.

For example, I drive from point A to point B. The only thing that happens is I went from A to B. Second scenario. I drive from point A to point B with a Leo behind me. Two outcomes possible. I went from A to B or I went from A to B and I got a ticket along the way (for speeding or crossing a line or not using my turn signal within the proper distance from the turn or a burnt out license plate light or no seatbelt or accelerated too fast or exhaust too loud or driving while black or whatever).

Point is, anytime Leo is around, I might be cited for something. It's much less stressful to not have big brother over my shoulder. On the other hand, he could be delivering my lotto win to me

(anyone catch the 2nd to last? oh, it exists, believe me)

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    Coincidence, I'd believe. Probably had to fill out some paperwork and needed a quiet spot to do so. Police are nothing to be afraid of.
    thelongone13 wrote:
    Maybe I live in the wrong state... At least I'll get to arrest people [ ...] and hope the justice system does its job.
    Username:thelongone13 Occupation:Armed Security/Criminal Justice Student

Post imported post

Lol, yeah Doug, but he's only 24. I try to take it easy on twenty somethings. However much of a jerk I am now, I was a ten-fold one in my twenties. So with that perspective, I try to pass on patience to the younger ones.

I have no doubt he's a good guy, he just needs some life experience. Hey, if you're not killing babies, your +1 in my book. And as of yet, I see no evidence of that in him yet.

Post imported post

Lol, I have to admit, I did laugh at that. But I would have laughed if he would have said it to me too so don't take it personally.

People who know me in real life know that I rip on myself more than anybody. And when someone else rips on me, if they mean it vindictively, I find it even more hilarious that I can get such a rise out of them.

My co-worker and I shared an office and we used to take turns ripping the @#$%e out of ourselves and each other. We once had a young female Hmong intern with us for the summer who also shared the office. Her internship eventually ended and she left. Later, when she came back to visit, she told us that when she was interviewing for her next job, the guy asked her how it was to work for us. She answered that she would laugh so hard she almost peed her pants because of us ripping on each other.

She got the job.

Banned

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:
    Maybe I live in the wrong state... At least I'll get to arrest people [ ...] and hope the justice system does its job.
    Username:thelongone13 Occupation:Armed Security/Criminal Justice Student
    LOL that occupation is eerily similar to mine, age similar to mine, and even I know better. There is no class of people I trust further than I can throw them.

Post imported post

The police aren't the real issue. It's the prosecutors that they have to turn all statements and evidence in to...

Most police officers I know happen to be for citizens arming themselves for protection. Sure, there's ones out there that see themselves as the sole means of protection for the sheep, and those officers can create issues for people who want to defend themselves from evil on their own...

Post imported post

Well. . . Coincidence, maybe. Let's just take a look. In your whole life, how many times has a Police car stopped directly in front of your house not related to you or something you might have done. Just calculate the odds of that happening. Now add to that, outsiders in your home and a cop shows up 10 minutes later. Hmmmmm?

Yeah, just a coincidence. That's it.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Post imported post

that fact that his potential call to your home not showing up on the online 911 dispatch means nothing, maybe he was dispatched via mdt ( mobile data terminal ) or cell phone ? did you have the AR15 slung in the low ready position ?
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I guess I'm just not worried. No offense, maybe some of you have seen something I haven't, I just have other things that I need to worry about.

Removed

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    I guess I'm just not worried. No offense, maybe some of you have seen something I haven't, I just have other things that I need to worry about.

You MAY be on to something though... Apparently the local cops are the reason I had to change the venue for Packing Heat for the Hungry...
    that does not shock me, most local cops are pricks & enjoy causing "panic" (( hey mr. store manager, we the police suggest that you not have this event at your store, it might cause panic with the unarmed shoppers ))
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:

You MAY be on to something though... Apparently the local cops are the reason I had to change the venue for Packing Heat for the Hungry...
    that does not shock me, most local cops are pricks & enjoy causing "panic" (( hey mr. store manager, we the police suggest that you not have this event at your store, it might cause panic with the unarmed shoppers ))
    Removed

EDIT: I would like to apologize to the Fox Valley Metro police department for thinking they had intimidated Piggly Wiggly out of hosting the food drive. It appears someone had fed me a line and I got it hook, line, and sinker. Piggly Wiggly just wasn't behind this from the beginning apparently and were looking for an excuse to get out.

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    Police are nothing to be afraid of.
    FTW!!!

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:

In the parenthesis: That is EXACTLY what happened. They even mentioned that it IS legal. I was shocked, and am quite upset. I've even had positive interactions with some of the officers from the department.
    If this is, in fact, true, I would be curious as to whether it was just an officer, of the chief. That being said, if the original store didn't have a problem to begin with, they shouldn't have in the end.

Post imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    thelongone13 wrote:

In the parenthesis: That is EXACTLY what happened. They even mentioned that it IS legal. I was shocked, and am quite upset. I've even had positive interactions with some of the officers from the department.
    If this is, in fact, true, I would be curious as to whether it was just an officer, of the chief. That being said, if the original store didn't have a problem to begin with, they shouldn't have in the end.
    If there was panic with the unarmed shoppers, I'd suggest that they arm themselves since it is their right, and quit blaming those that do exercise their rights for what frightens them.

As I was trying to explain to someone who chooses to remain ignorant on the whole concept of carrying for protection, that an inanimate object doesn't have the free will or necessary mechanical abilities to effectively hurt anyone or anything. A can of PlayDoh can be just as guilty of murder as a gun is by itself.
    I aim to misbehave

Post imported post

gbu28 wrote:
    Just had a strange thing happen to me. Sort of. Not sure if I should make anything of it or not.

Had the landlord over and two repair guys going through the house. Of course, I was open carrying. Nobody says anything to me re carrying but they all leave and I sit down at the pc to check my mail etc. Not even ten minutes later I notice on my security cam a squad car sitting directly in front of my house.

Nobody else is around. My blinds are open and I know you can see directly in my house from where they're at. However, I 4 different cameras with the cheapest b/w being directed towards the front. So I'm in my computer room (where they couldn't see me) and I'm not really motivated to step into my living room yet I can't make out what exactly they're doing because the camera resolution sucks.

On a side note, what kid of computer setup are you using for your cams and recording? You can just IM me instead of eating up space on this forum... I use a home built system myself and am always curious as to what others use.
    I aim to misbehave

Post imported post

I did think about it maybe being called in on the non-emergency number and maybe a squad was sent out outside the log system. Who knows exactly what appears on the log system anyway. It's not like I would know if they regularly pull things from it.

I have thousands of hours of video of that very cam perspective and while I don't sit and watch it, I can't say I ever recall a squad sitting right there. If I would have had any balls, I would have walked outside and pulled my car in front of my house and see if he would have anything to say.

I'll never know for sure either way.

I have a friend and a great uncle who are both officers in my city and I've dealt with many good Leo. But as I've said before, there are also bad ones, and they're not wearing signs saying so. But the real worrisome part is that I personally have never seen a good Leo stand up to a bad Leo and say no, this isn't going to happen. I've experienced them say they didn't see anything and I've seen them leave because they wanted no part in it. But they didn't stop it.

And I've always had better experiences with older, more seasoned Leos than younger ones. The older guys seem to know what life is about. The younger ones too often seem to think they're living out a movie role. They like the guns, the cars, the authority, the lights, the excitement, etc.

I find it best to stay clear of Leo whenever possible.

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    that fact that his potential call to your home not showing up on the online 911 dispatch means nothing, maybe he was dispatched via mdt ( mobile data terminal ) or cell phone ?* did you have the AR15 slung in the low ready position ?
    uh, no. If they want my XD45 that badly, they can take it and we'll sort it out in court...

Post imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
    The police aren't the real issue. It's the prosecutors that they have to turn all statements and evidence in to...

Most police officers I know happen to be for citizens arming themselves for protection. Sure, there's ones out there that see themselves as the sole means of protection for the sheep, and those officers can create issues for people who want to defend themselves from evil on their own...
    Almost any conviction requires three hurdles. First being that a cop must stop/question you and arrests/cites you (or forwards the info to the DA as you mention). Second being DA reviews it and decides to charge. Third being you're found guilty by jury or judge (or you bypass verdict and plead guilty).

At any of those stages, conviction can be halted. The very best stage is to avoid contact with Leo to begin with. That is the stage you (generally) have the most control over. You never want to have to rely on the last stage if you can help it. By then, you've already passed two stages that felt they could get a conviction, which means you likely don't have overwhelming evidence in your favor. It's more of a crap-shoot than anything.

Which is why many people make a deal at the DA stage and plea bargain some sort of deal.

And some people think by talking to Leo they can talk they're way out of passing the first stage. And no doubt some do succeed. But for everyone else, they just gave the State all the evidence they need to get you to the last stage.

So again, the best way to avoid conviction on something is to avoid Leo.

Oh, and you don't actually have to be guilty of something to be convicted of it. There has been more than one case I know of where a guy was stopped for traffic offenses, Leo thought he resembled a rapist they were looking for, victim id'd him (I'm sure in good conscience), he was convicted and imprisoned. Luckily DNA later overturned the conviction (and I know at least one case they not only released the person but they also found who did do the rape). I can find and cite if anyone doubts me, but it might take some time.

Again, lesson is to avoid contact with Leo if you can help it. My 2 cents and my modus operandi.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

As I posted on another thread:

Rule #1: Don't talk to police.

Rule #2: At the point where you feel/think you have to talk to the police .......... See Rule #1

Post imported post

I went back and watched the the vid from the time he arrived until he left. My best guess is he was reading the newspaper based on movement made against the passenger window.

Edited version (nothing happens in between):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpwUtXccA98

If he was sent, he didn't really care as he never exited the vehicle. But I think he was just on break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast