• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd Coincidence

gbu28

imported post

Just had a strange thing happen to me. Sort of. Not sure if I should make anything of it or not.

Had the landlord over and two repair guys going through the house. Of course, I was open carrying. Nobody says anything to me re carrying but they all leave and I sit down at the pc to check my mail etc. Not even ten minutes later I notice on my security cam a squad car sitting directly in front of my house.

Nobody else is around. My blinds are open and I know you can see directly in my house from where they're at. However, I 4 different cameras with the cheapest b/w being directed towards the front. So I'm in my computer room (where they couldn't see me) and I'm not really motivated to step into my living room yet I can't make out what exactly they're doing because the camera resolution sucks.

They sat there for a good 10-15 minutes and then pulled away.

Coincidence or not? I don't know what to make of it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Probably just coincidence. I would think your landlord would have said something if he thought your pistol was an issue. The LEO may have justcleared a traffic stop and decided to pull over in that area to do the paper work. I'm sure if the LEO thought or was toldthere was a problem he would have made contact with you.

gbu28

imported post

Looks like you are correct. My city has an online 911 call dispatch website, delayed a bit of course. Nothing is showing on the log and the log is now well past the appearance of the squad.

Lol, I'm not ashamed to say when I first glanced over and saw that squad sitting there, my immediate thought was somewhere between concern and panic. Lots of scenarios running through my head. Mostly being, don't answer the door... :uhoh:

gbu28

imported post

Um, yeah...I realize police have a tough job to do. Of course there are good ones. But there are also bad ones. And unfortunately the bad ones don't have that brand tattooed on their foreheads. That being said, I prefer they do their tough job elsewhere, nowhere near me.

For example, I drive from point A to point B. The only thing that happens is I went from A to B. Second scenario. I drive from point A to point B with a Leo behind me. Two outcomes possible. I went from A to B or I went from A to B and I got a ticket along the way (for speeding or crossing a line or not using my turn signal within the proper distance from the turn or a burnt out license plate light or no seatbelt or accelerated too fast or exhaust too loud or driving while black or whatever).

Point is, anytime Leo is around, I might be cited for something. It's much less stressful to not have big brother over my shoulder. On the other hand, he could be delivering my lotto win to me :)

(anyone catch the 2nd to last? oh, it exists, believe me)

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
Coincidence, I'd believe. Probably had to fill out some paperwork and needed a quiet spot to do so. Police are nothing to be afraid of.
thelongone13 wrote:
Maybe I live in the wrong state... At least I'll get to arrest people [ ...] and hope the justice system does its job.
Username:thelongone13 Occupation:Armed Security/Criminal Justice Student

gbu28

imported post

Lol, yeah Doug, but he's only 24. I try to take it easy on twenty somethings. However much of a jerk I am now, I was a ten-fold one in my twenties. So with that perspective, I try to pass on patience to the younger ones.

I have no doubt he's a good guy, he just needs some life experience. Hey, if you're not killing babies, your +1 in my book. And as of yet, I see no evidence of that in him yet. :)

gbu28

imported post

Lol, I have to admit, I did laugh at that. But I would have laughed if he would have said it to me too so don't take it personally.

People who know me in real life know that I rip on myself more than anybody. And when someone else rips on me, if they mean it vindictively, I find it even more hilarious that I can get such a rise out of them.

My co-worker and I shared an office and we used to take turns ripping the @#$%e out of ourselves and each other. We once had a young female Hmong intern with us for the summer who also shared the office. Her internship eventually ended and she left. Later, when she came back to visit, she told us that when she was interviewing for her next job, the guy asked her how it was to work for us. She answered that she would laugh so hard she almost peed her pants because of us ripping on each other.

She got the job.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:
Coincidence, I'd believe. Probably had to fill out some paperwork and needed a quiet spot to do so. Police are nothing to be afraid of.
thelongone13 wrote:
Maybe I live in the wrong state... At least I'll get to arrest people [ ...] and hope the justice system does its job.
Username:thelongone13 Occupation:Armed Security/Criminal Justice Student
LOL that occupation is eerily similar to mine, age similar to mine, and even I know better. There is no class of people I trust further than I can throw them.

thelongone13

imported post

The police aren't the real issue. It's the prosecutors that they have to turn all statements and evidence in to...

Most police officers I know happen to be for citizens arming themselves for protection. Sure, there's ones out there that see themselves as the sole means of protection for the sheep, and those officers can create issues for people who want to defend themselves from evil on their own...

hardballer

imported post

Well. . . Coincidence, maybe. Let's just take a look. In your whole life, how many times has a Police car stopped directly in front of your house not related to you or something you might have done. Just calculate the odds of that happening. Now add to that, outsiders in your home and a cop shows up 10 minutes later. Hmmmmm?

Yeah, just a coincidence. That's it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

that fact that his potential call to your home not showing up on the online 911 dispatch means nothing, maybe he was dispatched via mdt ( mobile data terminal ) or cell phone ? did you have the AR15 slung in the low ready position ?:D

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
I guess I'm just not worried. No offense, maybe some of you have seen something I haven't, I just have other things that I need to worry about.

You MAY be on to something though... Apparently the local cops are the reason I had to change the venue for Packing Heat for the Hungry...
that does not shock me, most local cops are pricks & enjoy causing "panic" (( hey mr. store manager, we the police suggest that you not have this event at your store, it might cause panic with the unarmed shoppers ))

thelongone13

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:
I guess I'm just not worried. No offense, maybe some of you have seen something I haven't, I just have other things that I need to worry about.

You MAY be on to something though... Apparently the local cops are the reason I had to change the venue for Packing Heat for the Hungry...
that does not shock me, most local cops are pricks & enjoy causing "panic" (( hey mr. store manager, we the police suggest that you not have this event at your store, it might cause panic with the unarmed shoppers ))
Removed

EDIT: I would like to apologize to the Fox Valley Metro police department for thinking they had intimidated Piggly Wiggly out of hosting the food drive. It appears someone had fed me a line and I got it hook, line, and sinker. Piggly Wiggly just wasn't behind this from the beginning apparently and were looking for an excuse to get out.

gollbladder13

imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:

In the parenthesis: That is EXACTLY what happened. They even mentioned that it IS legal. I was shocked, and am quite upset. I've even had positive interactions with some of the officers from the department.
If this is, in fact, true, I would be curious as to whether it was just an officer, of the chief. That being said, if the original store didn't have a problem to begin with, they shouldn't have in the end.

opusd2

imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
thelongone13 wrote:

In the parenthesis: That is EXACTLY what happened. They even mentioned that it IS legal. I was shocked, and am quite upset. I've even had positive interactions with some of the officers from the department.
If this is, in fact, true, I would be curious as to whether it was just an officer, of the chief. That being said, if the original store didn't have a problem to begin with, they shouldn't have in the end.

If there was panic with the unarmed shoppers, I'd suggest that they arm themselves since it is their right, and quit blaming those that do exercise their rights for what frightens them.

As I was trying to explain to someone who chooses to remain ignorant on the whole concept of carrying for protection, that an inanimate object doesn't have the free will or necessary mechanical abilities to effectively hurt anyone or anything. A can of PlayDoh can be just as guilty of murder as a gun is by itself.

opusd2

imported post

gbu28 wrote:
Just had a strange thing happen to me. Sort of. Not sure if I should make anything of it or not.

Had the landlord over and two repair guys going through the house. Of course, I was open carrying. Nobody says anything to me re carrying but they all leave and I sit down at the pc to check my mail etc. Not even ten minutes later I notice on my security cam a squad car sitting directly in front of my house.

Nobody else is around. My blinds are open and I know you can see directly in my house from where they're at. However, I 4 different cameras with the cheapest b/w being directed towards the front. So I'm in my computer room (where they couldn't see me) and I'm not really motivated to step into my living room yet I can't make out what exactly they're doing because the camera resolution sucks.

On a side note, what kid of computer setup are you using for your cams and recording? You can just IM me instead of eating up space on this forum... I use a home built system myself and am always curious as to what others use.