Thread: Open carry question

Post imported post

I live and work in metro detroit. I operate a snow removal service and find myself in rather hostile places frequently in detroit. My question is can I carry my firearm openly while plowing snow or otherwise servicing my accounts?

Post imported post

Hi and welcome to ocdo. Im assuming you plow driving a truck. You cannot OC in a truck unless you have a CPL. If you're on foot you can OC unless a property owner says you cant OC on their property. Just remember inside vehicles require a CPL unless its in your trunk unloaded.

Mike

ps: please fill in your location on your profile so we get credit for a new Michigan person.

Post imported post

Welcome to OC.O M.McDaniel

In your truck you can have the firearm unloaded in an unlocked case behind your seat. If you have an extended cab the case can be on the back seat. Also if you have an auto pistol you can have a full magazine out of the pistol but in the case. If you have a revolver, you could have the speed loaders in with the case with the pistol.

The best bet is to obtain a CPL.

Post imported post

From the MI State Police website:

"1. If I do not have a CCW permit, may I transport my pistol in a motor vehicle?

MCL 750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. ]If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. "
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

M.McDaniel wrote:
    I live and work in metro detroit. I operate a snow removal service and find myself in rather hostile places frequently in detroit. My question is can I carry my firearm openly while plowing snow or otherwise servicing my accounts?
    Welcome to OCDO. If you are wanting to get your CPL there is an upcoming class where the money is being donated to MOC and the Second Ammenment March. Check out the events thread for all the info.

Banned

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    you can have a full magazine out of the pistol but in the case.
    Are you SURE about this? Does the loaded mag have to be cased?

Could someone please post a law to verify this?

I have to follow the OC laws during my suspension, and would love to kep a loaded mag on me in the car. Its safer, and would save me a lot of time.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    conservative85 wrote:

I have to follow the OC laws during my suspension, and would love to kep a loaded mag on me in the car. Its safer, and would save me a lot of time.
    Could you show me a law that say's you can't?

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    conservative85 wrote:

Post the law that says I cannot, that should be the question.
    but for argument sake read this...

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.Sec. 231a.
    (1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.
    (b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.
    (c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.
    (d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
    Show me where it reads ammo must be separate from firearm, or that the case has to be locked.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    stainless1911 wrote:
    conservative85 wrote:

Could you show me a law that say's you can't?
    Man the first time I had the chance to use the "show me where it says I cannot" & you beat me to it. Ugh!

Banned

Post imported post

So, with no permit, I CAN have a loaded mag in my car as long as my gun is cased?

(I have a two seater with no trunk)

I frequently will read laws, and have some difficulty comprehending them.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    So, with no permit, I CAN have a loaded mag in my car as long as my gun is cased?

(I have a two seater with no trunk)

I frequently will read laws, and have some difficulty comprehending them.
    We all have trouble reading the law at some point that is why we are here to help each other as well as help educate the general public.

I carry my 45 in a wood case, and one fully loaded mag in the same case, as well as one loaded mag in my door handle. With no permit!