• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gsx1138 - What changed your mind?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but in it you wrote...

gsx1138 wrote:
As a "former" anti I can tell I would've said send guys with bigger guns. But I see what you're getting at. The big issue is at what point do we decide to "dissolve our political bands"? As someone who agreed with the Brady Bunch I can tell you that the goal was never to pass sweeping legislation because we knew that would never work. The goal was to take piece by piece. Start with something small and keeping picking away.
As a life long pro 2A supporter, who has never been able to understand the thought process of Brady type folks, I was wondering if you would share your path that led you to those beliefs, and more importantly what changed your mind causing you to switch sides.

amzbrady

imported post

911Boss wrote:
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but in it you wrote...

gsx1138 wrote:
As someone who agreed with the Brady Bunch
the thought process of Brady type folks,

Should I take offense? Not very specific. As a Brady, I am glad that I do know what your talking about. The Brady Bill, and The Brady Campaign. My family was a little pissed when I asked them

"what is Ronald Reagans favorite vegetable?"

"James Brady"

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I always supported 2A too although my single, welfare , hippy mother was pretty anti.

It would be good to have thoughts from anyone who switched belief structure.

erps

imported post

I've switched sides on three important issues (off the top of my head) over the past 30 years. On each issue, I really didn't care that much in the beginning and got my information from the MSM. It wasn't until I had the luxury of some spare time from just living/raising a family that I was able to self educate myself with information from other sources and consider an issue a little more critically with discussions with other knowledgeable people that I got the other side of the story.

In discussions with the anti's now, I find that they are typically in the same spot I was. Don't really care and go by what the MSM tells them.

gsx1138

imported post

I had a big long response and my computer crashed. I don't have the heart to type out all the crap again.

Basically I reached a point where I questioned all of my preheld beliefs (I'm still working on it). I realized that it was me that was being the hypocrite. The fact is there's a widely held belief in those circles that all gun owners are backwoods racists rednecks who lack the ability to move into the modern era. That stereotype needs to be smashed because these folks have the ears of plenty of politicians.

The more gatherings we have helps. The more inclusive we are helps. I'm not going to jump on the Deros fan wagon but he is exactly NOT what the Brady bunch want to see. Well dressed and able to articulate an argument.

We're a minority and we'll be judged by the actions of one asshat. That's why I'm even more impressed with most everyone on here.

erps is correct also, there is a large lack of education. The MSM is not going to report boring statistics.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

That is one reason I like this site, some of those other sites of such "tinfoil" hat guys it does regular 2a supporters no good. We get nutters who come here but they usually don't last long. Too many knowledgable well thought out and "factual" guys here.

Plus this site is about promoting opencarry and gun ownership as normal. The gathering we have are family affairs and folks from all backgrounds attend its great.

gsx1138

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
That is one reason I like this site, some of those other sites of such "tinfoil" hat guys it does regular 2a supporters no good. We get nutters who come here but they usually don't last long. Too many knowledgable well thought out and "factual" guys here.

Plus this site is about promoting opencarry and gun ownership as normal. The gathering we have are family affairs and folks from all backgrounds attend its great.

I agree.

Education education education...

The American public has already been bought and sold on a false reality.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Well said by a knowledgable factual guy

daddyman

imported post

Look at what Harley Davidson did with their public image and how it has transformed from "Hells Angels" bikes to the status symbol it is today.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
daddyman wrote:
Look at what Harley Davidson did with their public image and how it has transformed from "Hells Angels" bikes to the status symbol it is today.
Bymarketing them to a bunch of midlife crisis guys? :p

Hilarious.

On second thought why is it when a guy finally figures out he spent most his life serving others and doing for others that when he finally wants to do some things for himself and has enough money to do it for himself that it's turned into a crisis?

Tomahawk

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
daddyman wrote:

Hilarious.

On second thought why is it when a guy finally figures out he spent most his life serving others and doing for others that when he finally wants to do some things for himself and has enough money to do it for himself that it's turned into a crisis?
Because in pop culture, there's just no way for old people to win.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I have had a Harley Davidson or 2 or 3since the late 60s, lived the outlaw MC life for many years. I find it absolutly hilarious when I see the Docs, lawyers engineers etc running around in their doo ragsplay acting like they arebad ass bikers. Buy abike, ride it, welcome to the world of 2 wheels, just be you, dont try to be something you are not. Kinda reminds me of when Urban Cowboy came out and everyone purchased cowboy boots and hats. Most gun people are different theytend to beindividuals more so than the wanna be Harley people.

Metalhead47

imported post

Orphan wrote:
I have had a Harley Davidson or 2 or 3since the late 60s, lived the outlaw MC life for many years. I find it absolutly hilarious when I see the Docs, lawyers engineers etc running around in their doo ragsplay acting like they arebad ass bikers. Buy abike, ride it, welcome to the world of 2 wheels, just be you, dont try to be something you are not. Kinda reminds me of when Urban Cowboy came out and everyone purchased cowboy boots and hats. Most gun people are different theytend to beindividuals more so than the wanna be Harley people.
... and then there are us nutjobs who are out there when it's 25 & snowing creeping along trying to stay upright... not that we think it makes us badasses, we just have no other choice :shock:. Get some funny looks tho...

Lammo

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
daddyman wrote:

Hilarious.

Shopping for Harleys and/or guns are the only times I think it's a good idea to not waste a good crisis.

:)