• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm Going to Open Carry Tomorrow! (First Time)

Daath 474

imported post

Alright, guys I know I've been on here for a while... always chiming in with some input or opinion or sharing with you the stories of getting city municipal codes changed (check my other posts). However, I've never open carried... not once!

I've always been afraid because of my manner of dress and appearance, that I may have a lot more to deal with from LEOs than any of you. People tend to judge by appearance, which is very sad to say. It's not easy for some folks to see a guy with tattoos and piercings who is a lawful gun owner and advocate of our constitutional rights to protection. So I'm going into this a bit nervous, but markedly more confident than before.

The posts on here along with seeing other folks in my town open-carrying has given me a new level of confidence to uphold my right to open carry. I was mailed some pamphlets by "heresolong" that I will be carrying on my person in my messenger bag.

Another reason I've decided to open carry is because of my previous holster which was a Sidekick inside the pants holster. I always carried it behind my back, which isn't an ideal place to carry. It's fairly inaccessible and has recently been irritating the skin and giving me callouses where it is carried.

Today I picked up a Blackhawk nylon ambidextrous multi-use hip holster that has retention and a magazine pouch. I'm excited about the opportunity to share with others the information about the legal responsibility and the benefits of open carry. I'm also nervous about potential negative responses by citizens and LEO, but I don't want to let that deter me from my rights. Only criminals should feel scared about carrying a gun and I'm definitely not a criminal.

I just wanted to thank you all for the information and support on this website and I will in the future be sharing with you stories about my adventures. I'm hoping every experience will be positive and I'm hoping I never have to add anyone to the DNP list of businesses.

Thanks again guys!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

You ar in Wenatchee area right? See if someone is close to you and meet for coffee or lunch or something, if you are nervous it's good to be comfortable in public so folks don't see you as that twitchy nervous guy with a gun.

If not be safe, be aware and be smart. Good luck. I carry openly just about everywhere I go.

Daath 474

imported post

I'm just going to go to the park and maybe walk around a bit on normal roads. I'm willing to meet anyone for coffee anytime in Wenatchee or East Wenatchee. I can even do Chelan or Leavenworth since the local bus goes there.

Baby steps and the next day I might actually go in a store! Hahah. It feels a bit weird, but I'm hoping that goes away with each successful outing.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Daath 474

Try OCing for the 1st time somewhere you know people, some where you are a regular customer, somewhere you are comforatable. If you are confronted stay calm, listen and respond calmly that will go a long way to having a sucessfull day.

Like SVG I also OC everywhere I go every day and have had no major problems and very few minor ones. Good Luck and let us know how it goes. If I were closer to you I would meet you for coffee.

Carry on brother

Orphan

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I did some work over there the beginning of this year and open carried everywhere I went with no problem. Lowe's mostly, getting supplies and a few fast food restaurants and probably every Starbucks.

The one over by Safeway? Is where I was waiting in line a gangbanger opened the door got one foot in spotted my firearm did an about face and was gone.

Now he might have just been there to get coffee, but who knows?

amzbrady

imported post

People do judge by stereotypes. If you think the peircings and tats will cause issues while OC just try dressing a little nicer. try slacks and a dress shirt. I you are nervous than take a nice jacket that will conceal (if you have a CPL) your weapon if in case you get the jitters or feel like the situation is not right, youcan simply slip the jacket on. Thats how I weaned myself a little by little. I still do not OC everywhere. I walk in places with my jacket concealing then take it off and expose myself just kind of non chelantly. I still get the jitters at times when I feel others starting to get uncomfortable. I do not want the conflict, or the hassel with the police, when I do I put my jacket back on.I am not the best with words, esp under pressure, and I have a temper that sometimes lets my mouth get me in trouble, (had someone ask me before if I had torrets or if I had multiple personalities. I would not just shoot someone, but do verbally fly off the handle. OC make me more aware of this and makes me tone it down. Hope it goes well for you. if you can get pics, and have fun.

DEROS72

imported post

I agree with orphan.I found it easier when I started 2 years ago going in places I frequent anyway.The Safeway and Starbucks you may have seen me post about.Now 2 years later no one even notices anymore.I was even today back in the Safeway managers office Bs'n with Andrew the manager about football and no onecares.Met one of the new posters today there and he could see for himself that people around had no issues.

When I came out I went over to the stand where they have the soup to get some and a Desmoines Officer came up behind me and we talked about soup.He didn't even mention my sidearm.If you are in places you frequent first you become and people become more accustomed to your mode of carry.

Daath 474

imported post

There is nothing illegal about it, so I should be absolutely fine. I've always had a bit of social anxiety and it's difficult to be interrogated by police; but I feel that it's important that I have a choice where I want to carry my gun.

killchain

imported post

Stick to the local businesses that know your face for the most part until you get solidly comfortable.

I started out going to the nightly gas station run. :)

Daath 474

imported post

I almost gave up thinking "I'm snowed in" with the weather we've been having over here today. I put on a couple of sweaters and grabbed my bag and caught a bus downtown. I stopped in at the strip mall and visited a few stores and walked around downtown for a bit, wearing my sweaters mostly over my pistol, but it was still visible from the front if you approached me. I decided to stop in at Subway (a place I frequent) and get something to eat while I was out. I dropped my bag and sweaters onto a booth with my newspaper and ordered my sandwich as normal. Some girls sitting across the way giggled a bit, but nobody seemed offended or scared. I payed for my sandwich, got pop, walked past the register a few times getting things and ate my meal in quiet peace. People came, people left and nobody cared or bothered me about it. An overall success for my first outing doing OC.

Let's just see about the rest of the year now. Happy New Year Everyone!

DEROS72

imported post

Way to go Daath .I think you'll find as you continue folks most people don't care .

killchain

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
I almost gave up thinking "I'm snowed in" with the weather we've been having over here today. I put on a couple of sweaters and grabbed my bag and caught a bus downtown. I stopped in at the strip mall and visited a few stores and walked around downtown for a bit, wearing my sweaters mostly over my pistol, but it was still visible from the front if you approached me. I decided to stop in at Subway (a place I frequent) and get something to eat while I was out. I dropped my bag and sweaters onto a booth with my newspaper and ordered my sandwich as normal. Some girls sitting across the way giggled a bit, but nobody seemed offended or scared. I payed for my sandwich, got pop, walked past the register a few times getting things and ate my meal in quiet peace. People came, people left and nobody cared or bothered me about it. An overall success for my first outing doing OC.

Let's just see about the rest of the year now. Happy New Year Everyone!
Next stop - a drop down leg holster. :p

DEROS72

imported post

Like this guy I met at the last Teaparty in Olympia...After talking to him he told me he never heard of our web site it is just something he always has done .....I also ran into him at the Glenn Beck speach in Seattle.

Daath 474

imported post

He's sporting an Immortal Technique t-shirt.

He's an anti-NWO rapper with some videos on Youtube.

I had a drop down holster like that with my previous 9mm, but I gave it to my girlfriend when I retired that pistol to her and bought my new one.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Congratulations Daath, :celebrateit gets easier from here on out. I rememberhow hard itwas the first few times for me. Doing this tells me a lot about you, good job.

Squeak

imported post

Good! The one thing that helped me to OC more was to have a way to 'pick up your gun and go' so to speak. If you have to take your belt off or if the holster doesn't clip on and off GOOD, you may get frustrated. Think of some easy ways to saddle up. Good luck.

gsx1138

imported post

Well Merry Meet and Blessed Be Daath. It gets a little easier as time goes on. You'll figure out which areas to just avoid. Before you know it you'll forget you're even wearing a gun because it's just as natural as wearing a cell phone. At least that's what I hear. I'm not at that point yet.