• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and the Sheriffs Dept.

hardballer

imported post

Had a cordial 5 min. conversation with a Buffalo County Sheriffs Deputy yesterday while shopping in a local convenience store. The deputy was plain clothes, probably off duty. Not one word mentioned about my carry piece. I carry a stainless full sized 1911 cocked and locked, strong side in a belt slide holster with two stainless mags weak side. He did not appear to be armed.

I was pleased.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hardballer wrote:
Had a cordial 5 min. conversation with a Buffalo County Sheriffs Deputy yesterday while shopping in a local convenience store. The deputy was plain clothes, probably off duty. Not one word mentioned about my carry piece. I carry a stainless full sized 1911 cocked and locked, strong side in a belt slide holster with two stainless mags weak side. He did not appear to be armed.

I was pleased.
not all of them are weenies:cool: just some.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well Done!

As we have more positive interactions like this with LEO, there will be fewer knee jerk reactions from LEO (I hope).

Carry On!

gollbladder13

imported post

"He did not appear to be armed"

I'm sure you know what to look for as far as printing, sagging belt, etc., but that doesn't mean he wasn't armed.

I know a lot of depts have policies against OCing when off duty. I hope he was carrying. I'd hate for him to run into a "client" and be caught off guard.

Chances are if he feels citizens should be armed, he was, too.

Either way, thumbs up...

opusd2

imported post

It's always gratifying to have a good experience with LEOs. I've had many over the years over a number of issues, and one over my OC. Too bad there are always those loudmouths who don't believe that citizens should be able to exercise their rights, and also too bad there are too many loudmouth citizens as well who make trouble for the rest of us.

thelongone13

imported post

It's always good to have an honest chat with a decent, hardworking cop. They really are good people for the most part, some of them (as I've been learning) unfortunately spoil it for the good ones.

As long as someone's carrying legally, I see no need to hassle them. Maybe ask what they carry, what kinda holster, Glock vs XD, you know.