• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky "Cop Stop" Practice?

Would you be interested in attenting practice for being stopped by the police while open carrying?

• Yes, deinitely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, I'm not sure yet.

• No, not really.

• Total voters

neuroblades

imported post

I ran across a You Tube video from a group out of NH. They're practicing being stopped by the police while carrying and how to deal with that situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6rM46DvHUA&feature=video_response

This looks like it would be a GREAT idea if anyone out there has the legal knowledge and skills to do this type of training. I'm quite sure that ALOT of people on her would like this as well.

Just tossing the idea on the table. *S*

Additionally, I've placed a poll on this query so people can weigh in as to whether or not they're intersted by this idea. Please let us know what you think. We're all in this together.

Unfettered Might

imported post

It's simple, do what the LEO tells you to do, within common sense*. Unless the LEO is trying to perform a felonious act against you**, or is telling you to perform a criminal act, it's in your best interest to let them dig a hole by complying if they are not within their authority. Although some actions they request are not compulsory by law, others are.

What you should do is affirm your right to open carry and affirm your right against warrantless searches when necessary, but do not resist attempts to take your firearm or to search you or your vehicle if you are in one. These are issues to be resolved in a courtroom, not on the street.

If you are in your vehicle or you are concealed carry, you do not have a duty to inform the LEO of your possession of a firearm, in this state.

A LEO, either through ignorance or their own opinion, may tell you that you cannot open carry, or that a firearm in your glove box*** (not console) is concealed carry, which neither is true. Affirm in a non threatening tone and attitude, but with conviction that you know you are within your rights to do both. If they are ignorant, they will call a supervisor to check and will discover they are in error. If it's just their opinion, they should shut up about it at that point.

I discovered those videos some time ago and did find them quite informative, I would recommend everyone to watch them. I don't remember all the content but would warn viewers to remember that the videos originate in NH not KY. I particularly liked the one about what NOT to do, they really got extreme on that one, lol.

I'm in the process of just absolutely saturating myself with the laws relevant to everything from carrying a firearm to having to use it. Things such as Justifiable Homicide and Choice of Evils Doctrine should be topics answerable by anyone with a firearm on their persons.

Even if you have the right to carry doesn't mean that you have the knowledge to know when you can use it. Educate yourselves!

http://www.kentucky-concealed.com/Self-Defense-Laws.htm
I don't particularly agree with their opinions on open carry, although they are valid arguments. Quite informative.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statrev/frontpg.htm
Site search engine sucks, be prepared to spend quite a bit of time looking for specific laws, google can be your friend trying to nail down the right chapter.

Be careful and wary out there.

*If a police officer asked me to hand over my firearm, I would let them take it from my hip, I sure wouldn't reach for it.

**You had better be certain your right. Theft, physical assault without provocation(verbal or physical) on your part and sexual assault are some that come to mind. It should be pretty obvious but I'm sure someone will misconstrue and get themselves in trouble.

***Personally I carry on my hip when I'm in my car, I may not have time to retrieve it from the glove box in a emergency. But the glove box is THE ONE surefire way to protect yourself from the opinion of a LEO on if your firearm was concealed or not. I keep my registration and insurance in my glovebox, so it's a simple matter of placing my firearm in the glove box after retrieving the documentation and closing it, obviously before the LEO has even gotten out of their car.

Unfettered Might

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Unfettered Might wrote:
It's simple, do what the LEO tells you to do, even if they are wrong. Unless the LEO is trying to perform a felonious act against you*, you have to, by law.
Per the rules of OCDO, please post a citation to the law that you speak of.

Another excellent video to watch is BUSTED, The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
My apologies, I didn't properly state myself.

Message has been edited accordingly.