• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finnish killing blamed on guns

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

David Turner wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8435857.stm

The gun-control lobby is having fun. This Finnish chap has shot six people and, of course, it was the "guns".

No-one has mentioned that the guy was a Kosovan-Albanian MUSLIM immigrant. That may have no bearing on the case, of course...

I see the article states it may have been domestically related which is what I am thinking it was. All store employees and his EX-girlfriend. Sounds like a really pissed off guy to me. Too bad he had to take other people with him.

As for the article, yeah, it gets a little anti-gun there at the bottom but I think that was all only to point out what has been happening with gun control efforts in Finnland. I will point out that registration, training for a year, etc. isn't going to keep a determined criminal from killing people.

This article here is pretty decent for mentioning that over 20% of the country's popluation owns a firearm: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/12/31/2009-12-31_alleged_gunman_ibrahim_shkupolli_dead_after_4_shot_at_sello_shopping_mall_in_esp.html

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I do not see the ethnicity or religious beliefs of the guy having all that much to do with the killing spree. There is an argument that either/both might have inclined him more towards the behavior, but that argument is pretty weak.

As has been said over and over again, they are going to have to ban humans if they want to prevent homocides. The gun is merely one of the most portable, concealable, and convenient tools for the job.

But to focus on the behavior of the individual means that the individual becomes responsible for their behavior. Statists and other "liberals" cannot abide that thought, as the reason for their nanny state no longer exists.

Yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir but sometimes it just feels good.

stay safe.

skidmark

buster81

imported post

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2010-01/03/content_12745200.htm

Finland to amend gun law for tighter control

HELSINKI, Jan. 2 (Xinhua) -- Finnish Interior Minister Anne Holmlund said on Saturday that Finland will amend the gun law to tighten control on guns, Finnish media reported on Saturday.

A 43-year-old man named Ibrahim Shkupolli, a Kosovo Albanian, shot and killed four employees at Sello shopping center in Espoo, southern Finland, as well as his ex-girlfriend at her home, who was also employed there, and finally himself on Thursday.

The shooting rampage has again aroused Finnish people's attention to the country's gun control. Finnish people have long asked for tighter gun control after two school shootings in 2007 and 2008.

Finland's rate of gun ownership ranks the third highest in the world as its 5.3 million populations own 1.6 million registered guns.

Finnish Prime Minister Vanhanen said on Thursday afternoon that the Espoo shooting incident has drawn attention to the large amount of guns in Finland. He also noted that broad-based cooperation within the Finnish society is necessary to avoid such tragedies in the future.

Interior Minister Anne Holmlund said on Saturday that Finland will amend its gun law for tighter control on guns. Furthermore, new legislation will require safer ways of gun-keeping at home in order to reduce illicit weapons obtained through burglary. An illegal handgun was used in Thursday's shooting incident.

According to Anne Holmlund, Finland's present gun registry is primitive. In some cases, license information has been written on a file card without the weapon's serial number or the purpose for which the permit was granted. All the guns with old licenses will have to be re-registered, she said.

She also stressed that all the licenses for people with criminal backgrounds should be revoked.

opusd2

imported post

Of course the guns killed the people. Like knives killed people throughout history, and it is the nature of trees to want to grow up from saplings to become baseball bats in order to one day be baseball stars.

And it was the fault of the desire of U235 to want to be worked into a manageable slug that would be delivered via Enola Gay in order to kill Japanese, since it is the desire of all U235 to somehow kill people.

And here I mistakenly believe that people use these items as tools in crimes.

simmonsjoe

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
Of course the guns killed the people. Like knives killed people throughout history, and it is the nature of trees to want to grow up from saplings to become baseball bats in order to one day be baseball stars.

And it was the fault of the desire of U235 to want to be worked into a manageable slug that would be delivered via Enola Gay in order to kill Japanese, since it is the desire of all U235 to somehow kill people.

And here I mistakenly believe that people use these items as tools in crimes.
You need to be more careful! I left my toaster out of the cabinet last night and it toasted all the bread in the house! Then it turned the sink on and jumped in to commit suicide. I never saw the signs. I thought we were happy together.

opusd2

imported post

You never find out until it's too late. At least you had the can opener in a safe place, where it couldn't act on it's own evil urges. You DID, didn't you?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The problem with Finland is that they have a whole lot of guns but nobody may carry or otherwise be prepared to defend themselves.

Obviously, in such a circumstance, laws such as those being enacted are only going to make this problem worse.

I predict a feedback loop, until all guns are banned. :? This is exactly what happened in the UK, a country where, at one time, self-defense was exercised by an armed populace content to not rely on the (properly) disarmed police.

Too bad they won't go in the direction of liberty and safety through proaction. Then they could actually deal with their problems, rather than hysterically seeking the easiest band-aid cover-up.