• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Federal Credit Union Gun Ban Push Back

Thundar

imported post

I am bothered by the NFCU policy, so I sent an e-mail to the CEO and ask that others do the same.

The BIG plan:

If we do not get an appropriate response to our letters, I recommend that we work to replace the NFCU board. We have lots of NFCU members and connections. If the board is indeed anti gun then as members of the credit union, we should take steps to ensure our own security.

My email to the NFCU CEO:

Mr Dawson,

Subject: Navy FCU Firearms Policy

I have been an NFCU member for 26 years. I am honorably retired from the U.S. Navy. It is very offensive to me that NFCU wishes to disarm me before I enter the credit union. It is one of the enumerated rights that I fought hard to defend.

Most establishments have a simple policy of following state law. I often make significant withdrawals from NFCU. Will NFCU guarantee my safety and security in the credit union and in the parking lot? No, of course not. That is a personal responsibility, but one which NFCU is now needlessly interfering with.

Please set a reasonable firearms policy of following state law and stop interfering with members ability to provide for their own security.

Thank you for your time.

MatieA

imported post

I did not know about this as I do not live near any NFCU branches, But I will watch this and vote appropriately.

jbone

imported post

The NFCU's in my location are on base, so I'm screwed regardless.

JosephMingle

imported post

jbone wrote:
Federal military installations = GFZ. Just another example of the fact that The Bill of Rights is worthless.

Edited for proper capitalization.

t33j

imported post

Bayport CU, formerly Newport News Shipbuilding Employees CU does not prohibit firearms, and that it why I do all my transactions there.

Thundar

imported post

Here is the response from NAVY FCU:

Subject: Navy FCU Firearms Policy

Navy Federal Response 01/07/2010 :Thank you for using Navy Federal’s eMessaging Service. Please excuse the delay in our reply. Navy Federal does not allow firearms within our branches. The only exception to this policy are firearms in the possession of law enforcement officers. We appreciate your understanding of this matter. Should you have any questions, please let us know.

Thundar

imported post

So, how many Navy federal CU members do we have on the forum?

As a member owned credit union we have the power to nominate candidates for the board of directors who can change the corporate and target Dawson and any other gun prohibitionists in Navy FCU's management.

Hendu024

imported post

My brother and I are both members of NFCU, as well as having 2 business accounts and loan/credit card accounts with them as well. I have been asked not to carry in the branch on Newtown Rd.

beradcee

imported post

Me and all of my family members are NFCU members. Father, mother, bro, sis, wife, children. I thought it was ridiculous when they asked me to remove my hat when I came in. Now I do all I can at the ATM or the drive up. At least they can't say I can't protect myself outside.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JosephMingle wrote:
jbone wrote:
Federal military installations = GFZ. Just another example of the fact that The Bill of Rights is worthless.
Not really. If you live on base, carry to/from is allowed. Just have to separate the gun from the ammo. They infringe on the right to carry in the manner to which we're accustomed, but not carry itself.

Now, if you're off-base, definately bad ju-ju and you're right - it's a GFZ. Thus, I rarely give any businesses on base my business, unless necessary.

jbone

imported post

since9 wrote:
JosephMingle wrote:
jbone wrote:
Not really. If you live on base, carry to/from is allowed. Just have to separate the gun from the ammo. They infringe on the right to carry in the manner to which we're accustomed, but not carry itself.

Now, if you're off-base, definately bad ju-ju and you're right - it's a GFZ. Thus, I rarely give any businesses on base my business, unless necessary.
I'm in the off Base catagory. And, retired last summer :D

streetdoc

imported post

My wife and I went into the Navy Fed Credit Union today in Fredericksburg, VA while we were both OC'ing, no comments or unusual looks. Completed the paperwork and opened an account, getting tired of BofA.

Aryk45XD

imported post

NFCU member since joined when I started my service in '98. This REALLY surprises me. I've paid 13 loans off and given them great service for the great service they've given me. I've never tried to OC in there. I really don't want to start with another bank, so I'm down for voting other board members in or giving them a chance to change policy. How long has this been policy active and who voted them to paper is the question I want answered!