• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Federal Credit Union Gun Ban Push Back

eye95

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Here is the response from NAVY FCU:

Subject: Navy FCU Firearms Policy

Navy Federal Response 01/07/2010 :Thank you for using Navy Federal’s eMessaging Service. Please excuse the delay in our reply. Navy Federal does not allow firearms within our branches. The only exception to this policy are firearms in the possession of law enforcement officers. We appreciate your understanding of this matter. Should you have any questions, please let us know.
So, in summary:

You: Please don't.

Them: We do.

Good communication skills NFCU!

Pull your money. Keep the account open long enough to vote against the current board. Then, close your account. That's how I'd handle it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

streetdoc wrote:
My wife and I went into the Navy Fed Credit Union today in Fredericksburg, VA while we were both OC'ing, no comments or unusual looks. Completed the paperwork and opened an account, getting tired of BofA.

I suspect it was because:

1. You were both carrying.

2. She's female.

People react quite differently to a female whose OC'ing than they do a male. Prejudice? Yes, but only in part - males commit many times the armed robberies as do females.

The other factor is that there were two of you, which undermines the "idiot with a gun" mindset. Some people think of a lone aremed citizen as an idiot, whereas when they see two armed citizens together, they start thinking more along the lines of "off-duty policemen?" "plainclothesmen?"

As for Navy Fed CU banning law-abiding, honorably discharged veterans from carrying on their premises, they deserve to loose our business!

I didn't spend twenty years dodging icing, thunderstorms, cumulous granite, other aircraft, UAVs, and small arms fire protecting our freedoms just to have some ignorant knucklehead attempt to strip me of the rights I defended for the "privelage" of doing business with him. The privelage is having people such as each and every one of us as customers, and when that's trod upon, the Navy Fed CU looses that privelage.

I'm off to close my account this afternoon and transfer my funds to another bank with whom I've been doing business for nearly a year and who has absolutely no issues whatsoever with open carry in their branch. :D

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Navy Federal Response 01/07/2010 :Thank you for using Navy Federal’s eMessaging Service. Please excuse the delay in our reply. Navy Federal does not allow firearms within our branches. The only exception to this policy are firearms in the possession of law enforcement officers. We appreciate your understanding of this matter. Should you have any questions, please let us know.
Subject: Since9 Policy on Banking and Civic Duty

Thank you for clarifying your position with respect to your intent to strip my rights as granted by our U.S. Constitutional and the Colorado Revised Statutes.

As you may know, I served our country as an officer in the United States Air Force for more than twenty years, retiring under honorable conditions approximately one year ago. A little more than twenty-one years ago,I raised my right hand so that I may have the honor and privalage of doing my civic duty by serving my country.

As a retiree, my civic duty to protect self, others, and property from harm or infringementcontinues unabated. In this line of duty, I choose to carry a firearm commensurate with local, state, and federal law.

I am saddened to see your organization, which carries the title of one of our oldest branches of the military service, take steps which infringe upon the freedoms for which we fought, and for which some of my friends have died. Your choice discredits not only the Navy, whom my father served honorably for more than 30 years, but all branches of the service.

Please close all my accounts with Navy Federal Credit Union without further delay, and transfer all funds to **************************, Account # *************.

Sincerely,

//signed//

Since9

t33j

imported post

22158.jpg

avball

I know this is an old thread, but I've been banking with NFCU since 2004 and never noticed a sign prohibiting firearms until we got stationed here in TN. Like NavyLT said, it's not an issue in Oak Harbor, WA. That was our last duty station, and I know I've carried in there on numerous occasions.

Has anyone bothered to find out if anyone is running for board of directors who will consider removing this policy? If not and there's an interest, I may do so. Otherwise I may explore other options.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Here is the response from NAVY FCU:

Sounds like it's time for one last withdrawl....

jnojr

Has anyone heard why some branches are posted and not others?

I've been with NFCU for about a year now, and don't want to support them any longer if the organization as a whole is anti-gun.

Are there any definitely pro-fun CUs in the NoVA area?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Has anyone heard why some branches are posted and not others?

I've been with NFCU for about a year now, and don't want to support them any longer if the organization as a whole is anti-gun.

Are there any definitely pro-fun CUs in the NoVA area?

I've banked with NFCU on and off for decades. OC/CC/NC never entered the picture.

If I signed back up with them and they said, "I'm sorry, but we do not allow firearms..."

I'd be out of their branch and business before she could form the last syllable.

I will NOT frequent ANY financial instution in the United States of American which denies ANY of the Constitutional or Amendment rights of The People.

Please copy this, people, as it all boils down to this: "I will NOT frequent ANY financial instution in the United States of American which denies ANY of the Constitutional or Amendment rights of The People."

Now: Do it.

OldCurlyWolf

I changed banks recently for a very similar reason. Only as near as I can tell it was a change in policy I didn't notice at first because most of my business was either drive through or direct deposit.

I understand the frustration. I pointed out their severe breaks in logic and they acted like idiots.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Although I closed my accounts with them more than two years ago, I wanted to see if any of them managed to pull their heads out of the sand, or if they just shoved them in deeper. So, I sent them a letter.

Apparently, the clue-bird has been a continual bolter! After my third letter, I finally received a personal response, which reads:

Dear Mr. X:

Navy Federal Credit Union places the safety and security of our customers as its highest priority. We do not allow firearms of any kind, either carried concealed or openly, into any of our centers or branches. We hope you understand and respect our position in support of our customers, and we look forward to your continued business with our institution.

In addition to the above excerpt from their letter, I've spoken with two separate individuals on the phone this morning, both of whom said "Navy Federal Credit Union has a zero tolerance policy with respect allowing firearms in their branches."

My response:

Dear Navy Federal Credit Union:

I find your zero-tolerance policy to be severely at odds with both your previously stated "highest priority" as well contrary to the oaths of office taken by all members of the Armed Forces: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

The Second Amendment of our Constitution specifically prohibits any infringement on the right to keep and bear arms, for a very good reason: Doing so puts honest, law-abiding people in harms way. It makes them vulnerable to threats from criminals and the criminally insane. Establishing gun-free zones may seem like a good move, until one realizes criminals will never follow such a restriction. Instead, criminals take advantage of such restrictions. In reality, your gun-free zone creates free-fire zones for criminals like like Cho, the shooter in the Virginia Tech massacre, who then have free reign to commit heinous crimes without fear of an armed response. As a graduate of Virginia Tech, I identify very strongly with the helplessness of the students who, because of Virginia Tech's "no firearms" policy, were unable to defend themselves against that madman.

The U.S. Navy prides itself on the deterrence value of its fleet. I seriously doubt the U.S. Navy would ever allow one of its warships to visit a nation that said "We welcome your visit, but we have a zero-tolerance policy, so your ship may not enter our port carrying munitions."

I took my oath of office 22 years ago, and find the Navy Federal Credit Union's infringement on my right to keep and bear arms is a violation of the spirit and intent of the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. By depriving your customers of the means to defend themselves, your own policy puts your customers in harm's way, the antithesis of your original intent.

You, Navy Federal Credit Union, have made yourselves a domestic enemy of our beloved Constitution.

In keeping with my oath of office, I have withdrawn the entirety of my accounts and investment with Navy Federal Credit Union. I refuse to allow any institution to profit at the expense of the safety and security of the American People.

That you claim to hold this as your highest priority while doing the exact opposite is either the height of deception or stupidity. In either case, who in their right mind would ever trust you?

Not I. Nor, I suspect, would most of your customers. Again, in keeping with my oath of office, I will endeavor to spread the word concerning the choices which put your customers in harm's way. Should the proverbial clue bird finally ok on your three wire, I'll be happy to reverse my efforts.

Sincerely,

Mr. X."

ETA: If you'd like to send them a letter indicating your concurrence, their address for general correspondence is P.O. Box 3000, Merrifield, VA 22119-3000. Source.

Last edited: