Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: leg holster

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Quantico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    just curious what everyone's opinion is on open carrying with a leg holster? i was sitting in my living room one day contemplating since its so cold outside, how i was suppose to open carry with my hip holster, but still wear a jacket comfortably. my solution? a leg holster i had upstairs. i put it on, and wore it to the gas station and a couple other places. no one really gave me any looks any more than if it was on my hip. (maybe they didn't notice as much?) just curious about other's opinions or suggestions on the matter. thanks!

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    wjxavier wrote:
    just curious what everyone's opinion is on open carrying with a leg holster? i was sitting in my living room one day contemplating since its so cold outside, how i was suppose to open carry with my hip holster, but still wear a jacket comfortably. my solution? a leg holster i had upstairs. i put it on, and wore it to the gas station and a couple other places. no one really gave me any looks any more than if it was on my hip. (maybe they didn't notice as much?) just curious about other's opinions or suggestions on the matter. thanks!
    Myt opinion and it's just that, is it looks bad. Leg holsters are special purpose and are much like my TAC vest (which I wear full of camera gear).

    It would make jacket carry easier but also draws a lot of attention.

    Now that I said that, a lot depends on the OC'er. If you dress like a mall ninja, people make fun of you and that hurts OC.....But if you're dressed like a normal person with a holster hanging below your coat, it isn't much of an issue.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Why was this moved? It was a perfectly legitimate OC question.


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    wjxavier wrote:
    just curious what everyone's opinion is on open carrying with a leg holster? i was sitting in my living room one day contemplating since its so cold outside, how i was suppose to open carry with my hip holster, but still wear a jacket comfortably. my solution? a leg holster i had upstairs. i put it on, and wore it to the gas station and a couple other places. no one really gave me any looks any more than if it was on my hip. (maybe they didn't notice as much?) just curious about other's opinions or suggestions on the matter. thanks!
    I think it would depend on the way you were dressed in addition to the holster, etc.

    If you are looking for a coat to wear, look into getting an MA1 flight jacket. They tend to be short waisted, and don't interfere with carry.

    http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Info/2...LOT_JACKET.jpg

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Quantico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    41

    Post imported post

    i have a few of those jackets, but i can't wear them because they are actually part of my uniform. i do dress nice if i do say so myself. i'm not a slob by any means. just jeans, a collared shirt, and jacket, thats it. i mean, i don't really see any reasons wrong with it. i don't really care what other people think (and obviously, neither do a lot of people on here because we all open carry firearms) and i like it because its comfortable and easy. idk, i'm going out into town today, we'll see what people do! haha. i'll report back when i get back.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    I've carried with a leg holster on more than one occasion, and I have never had an issue. It's not my daily carry holster by any means, but I like it when I'm out backpacking. I think it's pretty much like any other holster, it only looks as "tacticool" as you let it. It's much more about the person wearing the holster than it is the holster, or the gun in it for that matter.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    My 18 year old OC's her Glock 21 in a drop-leg holster because she wears an old Navy-style pea coat that hangs below her waist. She doesn't have a CHP because she's too young, so she has to OC.

    It doesn't look "TactiCool" on her because she's only 5' tall and most people don't even notice it because it is black ballistic nylon and she always wears dark blue or black jeans with her nearly black pea coat. She's OCing, but her pistol is still hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most people don't even see it unless they're behind us in the checkout line.

    I wear my Kimber in a Serpa that I OC when its warmer (40 deg F or above) and CC when wearing my winter coat or fleece. Its funny when I'm CCing and others see us. They call her "My Bodyguard". I love it. So does she!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    az, ,
    Posts
    685

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    My 18 year old OC's her Glock 21 in a drop-leg holster because she wears an old Navy-style pea coat that hangs below her waist. She doesn't have a CHP because she's too young, so she has to OC.

    It doesn't look "TactiCool" on her because she's only 5' tall and most people don't even notice it because it is black ballistic nylon and she always wears dark blue or black jeans with her nearly black pea coat. She's OCing, but her pistol is still hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most people don't even see it unless they're behind us in the checkout line.

    I wear my Kimber in a Serpa that I OC when its warmer (40 deg F or above) and CC when wearing my winter coat or fleece. Its funny when I'm CCing and others see us. They call her "My Bodyguard". I love it. So does she!
    what brand holster does she wear? reason i ask is because im kind of short too and find it hard for a thigh rig to stay on my thigh, it usually ends up losing its "tightness" and falls below my knee because the part that hooks to the belt wont go any higher

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Post imported post

    I prefer the holster on my hip, but I had a run in with an anti- OC cop, and now Im suspended until I clear the courts, so I adapted my blackhawk to a leg holster configuration. Besides, in Michigan, it gets cold, so this allows me to continue the movement through the winter.

    The cop diddnt like me OCing, now it is REALLY visible



  10. #10
    Regular Member desert-prospector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    (City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    I'd like to find a good drop-leg for my Steoger 8000. I'd like it to be Mil style around $40.00. I have the belt just need the rest.

    Any good ones out there?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,956

    Post imported post

    stainless1911 wrote:
    I prefer the holster on my hip, but I had a run in with an anti- OC cop, and now Im suspended until I clear the courts, so I adapted my blackhawk to a leg holster configuration. Besides, in Michigan, it gets cold, so this allows me to continue the movement through the winter.

    The cop diddnt like me OCing, now it is REALLY visible

    You just need a bigger pistol. Here is my pistol on a belt holster.



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    I had this same problem because I have to deal with the cold for 6 months out of the year. I thought drop leg holsters looked a little "tacticool" so I went with this.





    I always wondered why police duty holsters stuck out so far from the belt and now I know why. It is so the officer can wear a jacket to stay warm and still carry in the open for easy access to their sidearm. I decided to try this with an Uncle Mike's 2" duty belt, belt keepers, and a Blackhawk Level II Serpa duty holster. I must say it works great and every time I put on my jacket it slides right into the jacket slot on the holster. The belt keepers are what keep the entire rig attached to my regular pants belt as both the duty belt and pants belt are held together by the keepers. When I come home all I have to do is remove the belt keepers, un buckle the belt and the entire rig comes off. Its like a modern day cowboy gun belt!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    stainless1911 wrote:
    I prefer the holster on my hip, but I had a run in with an anti- OC cop, and now Im suspended until I clear the courts, so I adapted my blackhawk to a leg holster configuration. Besides, in Michigan, it gets cold, so this allows me to continue the movement through the winter.

    The cop diddnt like me OCing, now it is REALLY visible

    You do know you don't have that holster adjust correctly, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •