• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

leg holster

wjxavier

imported post

just curious what everyone's opinion is on open carrying with a leg holster? i was sitting in my living room one day contemplating since its so cold outside, how i was suppose to open carry with my hip holster, but still wear a jacket comfortably. my solution? a leg holster i had upstairs. i put it on, and wore it to the gas station and a couple other places. no one really gave me any looks any more than if it was on my hip. (maybe they didn't notice as much?) just curious about other's opinions or suggestions on the matter. thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wjxavier wrote:
just curious what everyone's opinion is on open carrying with a leg holster? i was sitting in my living room one day contemplating since its so cold outside, how i was suppose to open carry with my hip holster, but still wear a jacket comfortably. my solution? a leg holster i had upstairs. i put it on, and wore it to the gas station and a couple other places. no one really gave me any looks any more than if it was on my hip. (maybe they didn't notice as much?) just curious about other's opinions or suggestions on the matter. thanks!
Myt opinion and it's just that, is it looks bad. Leg holsters are special purpose and are much like my TAC vest (which I wear full of camera gear).

It would make jacket carry easier but also draws a lot of attention.

Now that I said that, a lot depends on the OC'er. If you dress like a mall ninja, people make fun of you and that hurts OC.....But if you're dressed like a normal person with a holster hanging below your coat, it isn't much of an issue.

superdemon

imported post

wjxavier wrote:

I think it would depend on the way you were dressed in addition to the holster, etc.

If you are looking for a coat to wear, look into getting an MA1 flight jacket. They tend to be short waisted, and don't interfere with carry.

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Info/200801/C2007918111446781750_MA_1_FLIGHT_JACKET_PILOT_JACKET.jpg

wjxavier

imported post

i have a few of those jackets, but i can't wear them because they are actually part of my uniform. i do dress nice if i do say so myself. i'm not a slob by any means. just jeans, a collared shirt, and jacket, thats it. i mean, i don't really see any reasons wrong with it. i don't really care what other people think (and obviously, neither do a lot of people on here because we all open carry firearms) and i like it because its comfortable and easy. idk, i'm going out into town today, we'll see what people do! haha. i'll report back when i get back.

FogRider

imported post

I've carried with a leg holster on more than one occasion, and I have never had an issue. It's not my daily carry holster by any means, but I like it when I'm out backpacking. I think it's pretty much like any other holster, it only looks as "tacticool" as you let it. It's much more about the person wearing the holster than it is the holster, or the gun in it for that matter.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

My 18 year old OC's her Glock 21 in a drop-leg holster because she wears an old Navy-style pea coat that hangs below her waist. She doesn't have a CHP because she's too young, so she has to OC.

It doesn't look "TactiCool" on her because she's only 5' tall and most people don't even notice it because it is black ballistic nylon and she always wears dark blue or black jeans with her nearly black pea coat. She's OCing, but her pistol is still hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most people don't even see it unless they're behind us in the checkout line.

I wear my Kimber in a Serpa that I OC when its warmer (40 deg F or above) and CC when wearing my winter coat or fleece. Its funny when I'm CCing and others see us. They call her "My Bodyguard". I love it. So does she!

r6-rider

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
My 18 year old OC's her Glock 21 in a drop-leg holster because she wears an old Navy-style pea coat that hangs below her waist. She doesn't have a CHP because she's too young, so she has to OC.

It doesn't look "TactiCool" on her because she's only 5' tall and most people don't even notice it because it is black ballistic nylon and she always wears dark blue or black jeans with her nearly black pea coat. She's OCing, but her pistol is still hard to see unless you're looking for it. Most people don't even see it unless they're behind us in the checkout line.

I wear my Kimber in a Serpa that I OC when its warmer (40 deg F or above) and CC when wearing my winter coat or fleece. Its funny when I'm CCing and others see us. They call her "My Bodyguard". I love it. So does she!
what brand holster does she wear? reason i ask is because im kind of short too and find it hard for a thigh rig to stay on my thigh, it usually ends up losing its "tightness" and falls below my knee because the part that hooks to the belt wont go any higher

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I prefer the holster on my hip, but I had a run in with an anti- OC cop, and now Im suspended until I clear the courts, so I adapted my blackhawk to a leg holster configuration. Besides, in Michigan, it gets cold, so this allows me to continue the movement through the winter.

The cop diddnt like me OCing, now it is REALLY visible:monkey

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I prefer the holster on my hip, but I had a run in with an anti- OC cop, and now Im suspended until I clear the courts, so I adapted my blackhawk to a leg holster configuration. Besides, in Michigan, it gets cold, so this allows me to continue the movement through the winter.

You just need a bigger pistol. Here is my pistol on a belt holster.

pumaholsterpicture.jpg

spyderdude

imported post

I had this same problem because I have to deal with the cold for 6 months out of the year. I thought drop leg holsters looked a little "tacticool" so I went with this.

IMGP0244.jpg

OpenCarry.jpg

I always wondered why police duty holsters stuck out so far from the belt and now I know why. It is so the officer can wear a jacket to stay warm and still carry in the open for easy access to their sidearm. I decided to try this with an Uncle Mike's 2" duty belt, belt keepers, and a Blackhawk Level II Serpa duty holster. I must say it works great and every time I put on my jacket it slides right into the jacket slot on the holster. The belt keepers are what keep the entire rig attached to my regular pants belt as both the duty belt and pants belt are held together by the keepers. When I come home all I have to do is remove the belt keepers, un buckle the belt and the entire rig comes off. Its like a modern day cowboy gun belt!:)

FightingGlock19

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

You do know you don't have that holster adjust correctly, right?