• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Semi-Auto Carry Weapon Input

donsk

imported post

I currently own a SA XD 45 - 4" (With thumb safety) - and it is a bit larger than I like to carry. I love the gun though. I do not have much experience in carrying, so I don't know exactly what I do need as far as size goes (This would be something that I would like to be able to conceal somewhat if I don't want to OC - hence the going away from the XD 45 I have - I have a difficult time concealing it). I also find it amusing that someone else recently posted a topic with similar requirements in a 9MM (they wanted some slightly different things out of their gun though - hence my posting!)

Things I like (I don't have much experience with different handguns) from my experiences:

High Cap Magazine

Manual Thumb Safety (I know most people don't like this, I do, it gives me a little more comfort having it even though I don't have it on all the time - maybe if I owned a gun without one, I would get used to it) - I also like the internal hammer with the XD- but if I need to go external to get the safety feature I can.

Larger Handgrip

Polymer Frame

9 MM (I have the .45 already, I would like to have another caliber, and unless people have better ideas, I like (not love) the 9MM caliber, and love the price of the 9MM compared to the .45 - I don't reload)

Under ~ $600

I have looked into the SA XD 9 Subcompact - and it seems like it would fit the bill, minus the manual thumb safety. The USP Compact from H&K looks interesting as well, but it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

To those who read this thread, I would love any input you guys have on guns that meet these approx reqs...I am willing to sway on some on them, these are just things that I *think* I want! Thanks for any input! (Once I narrow it down to a few guns I plan on picking the one that fits me best, but I don't even know where to start, and I get way overwhelmed when I go up to the gun counter and get handed 20 different guns to try!)

Happy New Years to all who read this!

buster81

imported post

Your choice of a gun to CC is going to depend on your preferences and personal makeup. I carry a gun everyday and CC about half the time due to limitations on work, customers, etc. I'm not a big guy, and refuse to dress in overly baggy clothes, so I choose to CC a compact, slim 9mm. Others who might be a bit larger, or a different body type report that they can CC a full size 1911 without problem. This doesn't work for me, so everyone is different.

You might take a look at the Beretta PX4 sub compact. I think it meetsyour criteria (I'm not sure what you consider a high cap mag, but the PX4 takes 10, 9mm). I'd put one in your hands first though. I'm not a huge fan of the safety, but it may just be my hand configuration.

If you can live without the thumb safety, I think the mini Glock is a good concealed carry piece. I don't carry one asit doesn't fit my hand at all. It's a bit of an ugly duck as well, but everyone has their own tastes (sorry Glock fans).

A slight larger option is the Ruger SR9. You might see some bad reviews of these, but I think Ruger has fixed all the problems. It carries 17, 9mm.

Good luck, and give OC a try someday when you are just going out for gas. You'd be surprised how little attention you get. You might want to update your profile so folks know where you are from.

Whatever you do, please don't paint your gun orange ;)!

tcmech

imported post

I just bought taurus pt 709 for my wife. It does not have a large magazine capacity but according to the information I have seen 9 round mags are available. I only have the standard 7 round magazines that came with the gun.

It does have a manual safety, internal hammer (striker fired) and it also has a second strike capability which most don't.

I think the best thing for you to do is go to a gunshow and take a look at what is available.

45acpForMe

imported post

My main CC/BUG gun is the Taurus PT145 Millenium 45acp 10+1 thumb safety. It fits in my front pocket (with Don Hume pocket holster) or can be warn IWB etc. This was the best compromise I found. In Khaki's (pants or shorts)it doesn't print much but in Jeans it will definitely show. Depending what you are wearing, shirt/jacket they can cover that up. This gun would also fit inside most jacket front pockets.

When I have something bouncing around my front pocket I prefer the added protection of the thumb safety. The same gun comes in 9mm & 40SW so larger capacity than 10 is available at the same size.

Today I was CC-ing the Kahr MK40. Low capacity (5+1)but thinner than the Taurus and less printing in Jeans. Kahr also makes the PM9 but again they have only6-7 rounds. My two complaints about the MK40 is capacity and weight. Then again each gun has its purpose.

Depending on how you plan to CC it there are a number of good choices out there.

jsfrederick

imported post

I first purchased an XD-9 in the 4in barrel. Loved the weapon. Got my FLA CCW when I lived there. Did not carry much as the XD was a bit big. Moved to VA and got my CCW there. VA is an Open Carry state, so I began carrying my XD open as well as concealed. I really liked the XD platform and decided to get an XD-9 SC. Love it! Smaller and easier to conceal. I'm currently using a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. Love it.

I highly recommend the XD-9SC. Plese give it a try.

Chris.R.Anderson

imported post

I researched for quite a while, but just made my first carry-weapon purchase; a Glock 19 9mm, it has everything you were looking for (including mags up to 33 rnds), except for the thumb safety. Wish I could tell you how I like it, but I won't have it till late this week! Good luck.

CRA

donsk

imported post

Thanks for the responses!

I have not checked out several of the ones you guys listed, such as the Beretta PX4 and Taurus Millennium.

I will have to check them out next time I am out and about.

I have to say, fairly often I wear a jacket and have the handgun in a zipped up pocket - so I am sticking with the safety for sure with more and more thought. When I carry in a holster I carry with a pancake holster and wear a hoodie or a jacket - with my xd45 its pretty obvious I have something large on my hip or pocket though in both cases and when I stand up and such. I am 6'1" and 190, but my XD 45 still shows up pretty well.

Thanks guys, now I need to get out and look at a few more guns, I def like the prices of the Beretta and Taurus compared to some of the guns I have been looking at - time to go researching in person now and see how they feel.

Eeyore

imported post

I normally carry the Taurus PT111. It's cheap (about $350), compact, has a thumb safety, and holds 12+1 rounds. The rubbery trigger and Heinie sights take some getting used to, but it shoots fine once you adapt.

Also consider these compact 9 mm pistols. You should be able to get any of them for $500 or less:
Edited to correct "Sigpro SP2022"

DEROS72

imported post

My everyday carry gun is the EAA Witness .45 all metal.I found it to be one of the finest shooting most reliable I have ever dealt with.VEry moderatly priced around 475.00A friend recently purchased one for 450.new in the box.With the 10 round mag it is a little heavier than some so that takes a little getting used to.Its not not that ugly.

Also in some situations I like the Bersa Thunder .380 also extremely well made and reliable.Again very reasonably priced at around 240.00 new.

curtm1911

imported post

No external safety on it, just the loooong DA trigger pull to compensate for that factor, polymer frame, 9MM, good capacity, nice options and Reliable. The Kel Tec P-11 is something worth a look at. Price around $300 sometimes WAY more, usually less though. Comes with a 10rd. mag., 12 rd. flush fit available and with finger extensions on themags, it fills the hand nicely.Can also accept S&W series 59 and 69full capacity mags, thoughnot flush fits with them. Made in the U.S.A. and a Lifetime Warranty, Great customer service from KT too, You can do a lot of tinkering on them and usually NOT void your Warranty either. They also make a PF-9, thinner and less rounds, lighter trigger, no Second Strike capability like the P-11 and IMO, still some teething problems with it, but it gets generally good reviews from owners on KTOG dot org.My daughter and I both own P-11's and like them a lot.

The Fiercest Beard

imported post

From what you are describing, there really are a few good pistols to look at....

I own a taurus pt111, pros- inexpensive, lifetime warranty, compact, large capacity, thumb saftey cons- umm... snobs dont like tauri, but that might be a pro too.

24/7pro - same deal as the mil pro, just a little bigger if you get the compact, 15+ rnds 9mm, cool ribber grips, thumb saftey + decocker

S & W sigma - I've never shot one, but looks like a plain jane poly pistol

you could spend more for a gun, but if you only spend 350-400, you will have monies left over for holsters, and ammo!!!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think this might be what you're looking for.

moz-screenshot-3.png
FNM0127mb.png

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF002&gid=FNG001&mid=FNM0127

donsk16 wrote:
High Cap Magazine yes
Manual Thumb Safety yes
Larger Handgrip pretty much
Polymer Frame yes
9 MM yes
Under ~ $600 yes

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153835573

donsk

imported post

I thought when I posted this I would be able to narrow it down to a few handguns! Guess not!!! I am leaning towards the M&P9C, but I have a ton more to check out before I make that decision....I wish I was rich and could afford to buy several handguns!

I appreciate your guys time/input, it has opened my eyes to guns I didn't even think about!

230therapy

imported post

Default to the Glock 19 sized guns. This includes the XD 45 Compact and the S&W M&P 45 Compact. The XD 45 is a bit wider than the others, with the S&W being second widest.

I have found that 4.75" tall (excluding sights, measuring from top of slide to bottom of magazine) is easily concealable for most people. The primary problem I see is the grip sticking out when the wearer leans forward slightly. 4.75" seems to be a very good compromise between overall size and concealability. The user gets a full grip with the three guns mentioned. An IWB holster with forward cant improves concealability.

As it happens, the Glock 19 is the most efficient of the guns available. It offers the largest capacity (15+1), decent length barrel, light weight, full grip and is only ~1" wide. I like the S&W M&P 45 Compact, though it offers only 8+1 capacity in a larger caliber. Another contender is the SIG P220 Compact, but it offers only 6+1 capacity.

Once you get into 4.25" - 4.5" tall, then you're losing grip, but enhancing concealability. Such guns are more difficult to shoot and are not good for beginners. The "baby" sized Glocks, S&W's, XDs and HKs are in this group.

If you're getting a defensive gun, don't just buy one. Buy at least two (over time). There are advantages to this:

1) Common gear
2) Magazines are the same
3) Manual of arms is the same
4) You have a spare*
5) Only one set of spare parts to buy

Boston's Gun Bible talks about this issue in more detail.

Think in terms of practical carry, not fun. I know it's really fun to have a whole bunch of guns that are all different, but concealed carry is serious business. Be very proficient with your carry guns. Lots of practice is required and fooling around with different guns will slow your development down.

The only exception I would accept is a Glock large frame and mini pairing**, XD and XD Compact, S&W full size and compact, HK, etc.

* Your gun will be confiscated if you ever have to use it. Generally, you will not be allowed to purchase another one until you are cleared. What if the gun breaks in practice? If you have no spare, then you're defenseless. I learned this when my EDC broke. I bought a backup while it was at the factory.

** Such as Glock 17 and 26 or 23 and 27. Same caliber and magazines. Manual of arms is the same, though the mini will require a higher level of proficiency. Just buy a leather holster for the larger gun of the pair.

230therapy

imported post

Several of the M&P series have manual safeties.

You really should get over your fear. The manual safety is not needed. Furthermore, in the panic of the gun fight, it's easy to flub. Force on force training will cure you of any desire to have a thumb safety.

230therapy

imported post

I just noticed that you put the gun in a pocket.

You are asking for a negligent discharge.
Don't ask me how I know...I almost ND'd doing the same thing with a Ruger. I swear I didn't need to pee five seconds before.

Always carry your carry gun in a holster. The trigger must be covered or you will ND at some point.

There are jackets that have velcro inserts to accept a soft holster with retention. SIG Sauer makes a leather jacket. Other companies make them (I think Blackhawk and 511 offer them). They cut the fabric and reinforce it such that printing is reduced.