Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public service announcement for New Year's Eve

Post imported post

If you're like me and like to empty a magazine or two at midnight on New Year's Eve, just remember that what goes up must come down.This is a reminder that you areultimately responsible for your bullet(s), wherever they may fall. So if you fire into the sky, might I recommend using a shotgun and some type of shot load. Little pellets of shot are much safer when returning to earth and they also don't have the range that single bullets do. Just a note.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Post imported post

location location location
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Post imported post

Unasked for advice for the OP.......

Please invest in a membership with an indoor (because it is cold outside) range with 24/7 access.

Then, while abstaining from intoxicating libations, be at that range at 12 midnight on New Years Eve and indulge your desire to "empty a magazine or two" straight into the backstop designed to catch those bullets.

After returning home feel free to break open a few of those libations.

As a side note not directed at anyone in particular:

What in the pluperfect hell is it with people bringing in the new year with gunfire? When I lived in Saginaw New Years Eve sounded like world war 10 with gunfire from all sides in all sorts of calibers....... including someone with a full auto. And I have no doubt the greater majority of those shots were into the air... and most of those doing the shooting were far from sober!

Ok.. Ok... I'll readily admit that folks shooting indiscriminately on New Years Eve is one, yes just one!, of my very pet peeves.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

hopnpop wrote:
    If you're like me and like to empty a magazine or two at midnight on New Year's Eve, just remember that what goes up must come down.This is a reminder that you areultimately responsible for your bullet(s), wherever they may fall. So if you fire into the sky, might I recommend using a shotgun and some type of shot load. Little pellets of shot are much safer when returning to earth and they also don't have the range that single bullets do. Just a note.
    You know this whole thing is kind of an urban myth, right?

I mean, the whole being killed by a bullet shot into the air?

Right?

Post imported post

superdemon wrote:
    hopnpop wrote:

Right?

It all depends on the angle.

As to the OP, New Years Eve is amateur hour. Pretend it doesn't happen, stay homeand please do not fire your gun into the air. Someone may have toauthor a postulate about this.

Post imported post

I don't know of any deaths resulting from "falling bullets" but Ihave heardreports of injuries caused from them. I think that was in the South Bend area.

And before anyone else points fingers my way, I am in a very rural area and I DO only shoot into a solid backstop. ...And not being a drinker, I do so sober. What brought this to mind was the recollection of some acquaintences from Chicago coming to their property in Michigan for New Years' and firing into the air from their patio.

I believe that the majority who frequent this site are responsible shooters and don't need to be reminded of the laws of physics. However, there will inevitably be those who are under the influence of whatever and planning on firing something. This is only a note to those who do a celebratory shoot, to possibly do so in a more responsible manner. Shooting in the middle of the night may not be a very responsible act, I agree, but can still be done safely.

I, too, don't know how shooting came to be equated with New Years' celebrating, but Irather enjoy it. I like hearing the sounds of various firearms being fired in a celebratory manner. I like adding my own to it. To each their own. If I were in an urban area I'm positive I wouldn't celebrate in the same manner. I'm neither promoting nor bashing, just hopefully giving someone something to think about.

Post imported post

superdemon wrote:
    hopnpop wrote:

Right?

No it's not! I have a friend of mine in Croatia that was celebrating New Years in the center of Zagreb, Croatia and took an AK round to the top of his head that partially paralized him and nearly killed him!

This is serious and should not be taken lightly!

Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

McX

Post imported post

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    we didn't participate in the midnight blam-blam, but heard plenty of it around here last night. maybe i should have. would have given me a chance to test out the hipoint .40. sigh, maybe next year.
    Even after posting this thread, I didn't fire any off, either. I did, of course, step out to listen to it, tho. Surprisingly, I did hear a quick burst of auto-fire, maybe 7-10 rounds of it. Also heard what I can only imagine was a cannon! It didn't sound like any of my nearer "neighbors" were out banging away so I didn't want to be the one who woke up the surrounding mile. Happy New Year all, carry on.

Post imported post

Mythbusters did a show about this a while back. If you can get your round to fire completely straight and true upward, it will loosemost of its energy on the way down. However it is nearly impossible to do this so there is an arch factor. The kinetic energy in the round in an arch is dangerous and can cause injuy.

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

Listen folks...

A bullet fired straight up will go up, stall, then start to FALL to the Earth. The keyword there is FALL.

A bullet is no different from any other mass, and must comply with the laws of physics that apply to all other masses.

Fired straight into the air, the bullet will stall, then start to fall. It will reach the terminal velocity of that particular mass/configuration, and it can fall no faster than any other falling body. There is no additional force pushing or pulling the round DOWN.

Additionally, a round fired less than perpendicular to the Earth will go up, reach it's terminal altitude, then start to lose altitude, all while continuing on the velocity path it initially established, HOWEVER, it will be loosing velocity (read that as forward speed) the entire time.

You would have to fire the weapon at no more than about a 110 degree angle to hurt someone with the average pistol round if there were not in line of sight to the end of the rounds path.

Post imported post

Seriously? We're arguing this?

Post imported post

aegri_mentis wrote:
    Listen folks...

A bullet fired straight up will go up, stall, then start to FALL to the Earth. The keyword there is FALL.

A bullet is no different from any other mass, and must comply with the laws of physics that apply to all other masses.

Fired straight into the air, the bullet will stall, then start to fall. It will reach the terminal velocity of that particular mass/configuration, and it can fall no faster than any other falling body. There is no additional force pushing or pulling the round DOWN.

Additionally, a round fired less than perpendicular to the Earth will go up, reach it's terminal altitude, then start to lose altitude, all while continuing on the velocity path it initially established, HOWEVER, it will be loosing velocity (read that as forward speed) the entire time.

You would have to fire the weapon at no more than about a 110 degree angle to hurt someone with the average pistol round if there were not in line of sight to the end of the rounds path.

Interesting... what figures are you using to arrive at that angle of degree?

I just did a quick 'net search and just cannot find any numbers (angle/distance/degree of lethality) for any caliber or type of firearm.

Anyone had any better luck (or knew where to go... or has better google fu) than I?

I can offer a personal opinion backed up with no facts what so ever..........

I would not want to get hit with any bullet of any size even that bullet were right at the end of it's maximum range.... just because I'd rather not find out if it would hurt or not.

And it would really, really, really, annoy me to get hit by a bullet fired into the air by some drunk jerk on New Year's Eve!!!!
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned

Post imported post

To be injured by a bullet, one must first be hit by it and that probability is an easy calculation. I would absolutely not worry about un-aimed gun fire. Consider how many rounds are fired for each WIA/KIA and those are more or less aimed.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    aegri_mentis wrote:
    Listen folks...

Interesting... what figures are you using to arrive at that angle of degree?

I just did a quick 'net search and just cannot find any numbers (angle/distance/degree of lethality) for any caliber or type of firearm.

Anyone had any better luck (or knew where to go... or has better google fu) than I?

I can offer a personal opinion backed up with no facts what so ever..........

I would not want to get hit with any bullet of any size even that bullet were right at the end of it's maximum range.... just because I'd rather not find out if it would hurt or not.

And it would really, really, really, annoy me to get hit by a bullet fired into the air by some drunk jerk on New Year's Eve!!!!
    HOLY MOLY! BIKENUT AND I ACTUALLY AGREE ON SOMETHING! :P
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

SOS! It depends on the angle. How about not firing rounds randomly then you don't have to worry about Mythbusters!

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    Seriously? We're arguing this?
    Unbelievable isn't it? Anyone who shoots into the air is an absolute ASSHAT!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

The Mythbuster episode I described is on at this time (1:00 pm on Friday 01/01/10) on the Discovery channel

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    The Mythbuster episode I described is on at this time (1:00 pm on Friday 01/01/10) on the Discovery channel
    Hey Brother.....You posted this at 2:14 pm. LOL! :P
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Hey Brother.....You posted this at 2:14 pm. LOL! :P
    OK 1:14 p.m. central standard time

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Mythbusters did a show about this a while back. If you can get your round to fire completely straight and true upward, it will loosemost of its energy on the way down. However it is nearly impossible to do this so there is an arch factor. The kinetic energy in the round in an arch is dangerous and can cause injuy.

So did a "Thousand Ways to Die". The guy was leaving a New Years Eve party with his girlfriend and took a round to the chest that was fired from over a mile away.

Very few "celebratory" rounds are shot straight up into the air. Most are fired in "rapid" fire and are never precisely fired.

This type of fire is more than irresponsible...it is CRIMINAL!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!

Banned

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Post imported post

I don't need any citation for it, all I need is high school physics.

Ok, the acceleration due to gravity near the surface of the Earth is 9.8m/s squared.

That's about 32 ft/s squared.

If I stand next to you, and drop a bullet at the exact same time that you fire one out of a gun, into say an infinite open field, parallel to the gound,both bullets would hit the ground at the same time.

Why?

Gravity will pull on both rounds at exactly the same rate. The round in free fall will be falling at the exact same rate as the round fired by the gun. Horizontal speed has no effect, and cannot counteract the acceleration due to gravity. When the round that I dopped hits the ground, the round fired from the weapon will hit the ground at the same time. When mine hits the ground, yours has too.

Even if we started 5 meters off the ground, which is almost 16.5 feet off the ground, both rounds would hit the ground in one second. (That is half of the 9.8 m/s squared, since both object started at rest)

Also, a round fired either paralell to the ground, or at an upwards angle, will immediately start to lose speed due to air resistance, and this loss of speed will exponential as it travels and loses inertia.

I will simplify for you:

A 9mm round traveling at 300m/s (984 f/s) will only fly 165 meters (541 feet)before it hits the ground, if fired parallel to the ground. You could safely stand 600 feetdirectly in front of someonefiring the round, and it would not even reach you.

Now, increasing the fired angle will cause the projectile to go further, but it will be moving slower when it gets to it's target, due to deceleration from air resistance. The longer the round stays in the air, the longer it is in contact with the air causing the resistance, thus the slower it will be traveling when it arrives at it's final destination.

Now back to the whole firing into the air thing...

If you fire directly and straight into the air, the bullet will rise, stall, and then start to freefall. It cannot fall faster than it's terminal velocity, which is equivialant to the amount of air needed to stop it's acceleration, becuause it is not being propelled or acted upon by the explosive force of the gases that forced it down the barrel.This is also the amount of air it takes to START the object moving. Take a 9mm round, and place it on a table, and I bet you could blow hard enough to get it moving. That's with the added friction of the table it is sitting on, so imagine how little air it would take to cause that round to stop accelerating as it falls. Notice we are sayng make it stop accelerating, not make it stop it's motion altogether...

It's very similar to the old "Toss a penny off the Empire State Building" urban myth. While it may not be comfortable, and it may even hurt, the round cannon travel fast enough to seriously injure you coming straight back down on you.

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:

So did a "Thousand Ways to Die". The guy was leaving a New Years Eve party with his girlfriend and took a round to the chest that was fired from over a mile away.

Very few "celebratory" rounds are shot straight up into the air. Most are fired in "rapid" fire and are never precisely fired.

This type of fire is more than irresponsible...it is CRIMINAL!
    You realize that show is a crock, right? More than half the deaths they talk about are urban myths, or out right fabrications...
    I think last night, they even had someone being killed by a meteorite, when there are only 2 recorded instances of people being struck by meteorites, and both persons survived with very minor injuries...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast